Geezer card increase

I remember back when I started skiing (at 30) and at Sierra Ski ranch when you reached 70 years old you skied for free. Those days are long gone. No discounts here either for a senior fishing license. That probably contributes to my pleasure in being a card carrying geezer.

Stalking Light said:
I have always kind of felt like $10 lifetime was too cheap, anyway. $80 is still a pretty cheap one time expense. My current one is almost worn smooth, though, so I'll probably need a new one when this one becomes illegible.
A few years ago when I got mine I thought that was annual and thought what a deal! Like another already mentioned... I have saved way over $80 and maybe in this year alone. I am OK with a price increase if it all goes to the parks. That said when my wife turns 65 I will be sure she he gets one too ;)

Love the geezer card. Last summer I picked up my lifetime Indiana fishing license for $16. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

XJINTX said:
A few years ago when I got mine I thought that was annual and thought what a deal! Like another already mentioned... I have saved way over $80 and maybe in this year alone. I am OK with a price increase if it all goes to the parks. That said when my wife turns 65 I will be sure she he gets one too ;)
If your are referring to the NP Inter-agency life time card the "geezer "age is 62.
Get her one for Christmas and that will be one gift out of the way.
Frank

Not there yet, seven more years to go to reach the geriatric gates of seasoned citizen status.

Every year I pony up the $80.00 and usually get my money's worth. It's a darn good value if you regularly get out & about. All for a good cause to keep our national treasures around for future generations to enjoy and appreciate.

$10.00 for life upon reaching geezerdom has been way to low for a long time. IMO, ten times that amount for a lifetime pass would still be a screaming deal.

Rock-On old dudes, you rule! :p

Do not see the $80. Do see $20.00 per year. Do not under stand the last part about 4 years,unless it means after 4 years ($80) you get a free pass.

SEC. 102. COMPARABLE PASS COST FOR SENIORS.
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (16 U.S.C. 6801, Public Law 108–447, division J, title VIII) is amended in section 805(b)(1)—

(1) by striking “The Secretary” and inserting:

“(A) The Secretary”;

(2) by striking “, at a cost of $10.00,”;

(3) by striking “shall be valid for the lifetime of the pass holder.” and inserting the following: “shall be available—

“(i) for a period of 12 months from the date of the issuance, at a cost of $20; and

“(ii) for the lifetime of the passholder, at a cost equal to the cost of the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass purchased under subsection (a).”; and

(4) by adding at the end the following:

“(:cool: The Secretary shall issue a pass under subparagraph (A)(ii), for no additional cost, to any individual who provides evidence, under policies and guidelines determined by the Secretary, that the individual has purchased a pass under subparagraph (A)(i) for each of the 4 years prior to being issued a pass under this subparagraph.”.

Bseek said:
So the House and Senate are getting set to raise the price of our beloved Geezer card ( from $10 to $80, or whatever the yearly rate for the Interagency Pass is in the future). Not sure if they will listen to input from constituents or not, but it is worth a shot.

http://www.daysenddirectory.com/senior.pdf

Thank you.... I had no idea there was such a thing. this is a tiny offset to SS taxes. It is also a very good deal. Perhaps my first from the Gov. Although I think Dennys would buy me breakfast today. I've only been 62 for 15 hours and I made money today.

RockCod, Happy Bday!!! Yep, it amazed me when I first got my card. Had been to a lot of National Parks after 62 and before my card so I could have saved more ;) Finally a young Ranger , while checking in, asked for my card. I guess she saw the surprised look on my face and apologized... she said "Oh I thought you were a Sr. ;) :) She then explained the card and I paid the $10 thinking that was a great price for a year... later I discovered that was for as long as I could still present it.
Here in TX the St. Parks have a Sr. Pass too you get 1/2 off on admission. I still pay the $70 a year for a normal Park Pass as I'm at a lot of Parks here over a year. It gives me free access to any park and 10% off any purchase. As a bonus I get 3 half price overnights. As I stated in another post... as long as I now (think) the parks get the money I am OK with an annual fee... not that I'm against deals ;)

When I turned 62 I drove on my birthday to Sequoia National Park (not too far from home) to buy my pass. I mentioned to the ranger on duty what a good deal it was and he replied, "sir, you've been paying taxes all these years, and you earned this pass." I had never thought of it that way. Most of you have probably noticed that some NPs have started issuing clear plastic rear-view mirror "hang tags" in which you insert your senior pass, rather than taping a colored receipt to your windshield. That way, you don't need to stop at a visitors center or payment kiosk when entering a park, just hang your card on the mirror and you are good to go. One last comment on the cards, we have a local lake that is operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. Up until two years ago, we had to pay a daily or yearly fee to use the lake. Now the Army Corps also accepts the senior pass ("geezer card.").

“(ii) for the lifetime of the passholder, at a cost equal to the cost of the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass purchased under subsection (a).”

Bill. the proposal is to increase the onetime fee to the same as the annual interagency pass, currently $80

My brother in law is the retired superintendent of Great Smoky Mountains NP. He told me about the efforts to increase the senior pass earlier this year.

While I would like to get my Senior Pass for $10 in a few days, I really don't mind paying $80 for lifetime access if the money was used directly for maintaining parks and sponsor visitor programs. An estimated additional $20M will be available to the NPS though increased fees for the senior pass.

I get a lot of use out of my annual passes and I'm sure I will do my best to wear out my lifetime pass regardless of cost.

The big concern I have isn't so much the increase in the fee, but rather, how Congress and bureaucrats always muck up everything and the good things they say will happen due to fee increases rarely occur.

Here's a pretty good synopsis on the current bills in the House and the Senate version which was passed on Dec 10.

I suspect the bills will be reconciled and signed by President Obama before Christmas.

ski3pin said:
I remember back when I started skiing (at 30) and at Sierra Ski ranch when you reached 70 years old you skied for free. Those days are long gone. No discounts here either for a senior fishing license. That probably contributes to my pleasure in being a card carrying geezer.

Sierra Ski Ranch...good memories...grew up skiing at Slide Mountain and Mt. Rose...never knew what snow was supposed to be like until I moved here to NE Oregon...

Anthony Lakes Ski Area, NE Oregon, over 70, ski for free...I love it!

"Golden Age" Pass was the title when I got mine 12 years ago and I think I prefer Golden Age to Senior.... :D

Put me down for approving a rate hike if the agency can then get off the public dole.. :ninja:

Phil

PS...Rockcod...need to change to Lingcod.... ;)

Just a comment about the NPS. Most of the work - interpreting to the public, maintaining the facilities, and, yes, cleaning the toilets is done by volunteers. Most parks do not pay a stipend to volunteers so the expense is carried by the volunteer. If a rate hike improves the facilities, makes the park more educational and open to the American public, then it's a great idea. It is one of the areas where tax money is pretty well spent now, but things can always be improved.

Back
Top Bottom