Geezer card increase

Being just 62 and ordered the "Lifetime Permit" a few days ago... see photo
Is this what we speak of?
Or
Is there another pass/permit that is in danger (or both)?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 7.42.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 7.42.53 PM.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 70
Buckland that is the Sr. Pass not sure where that is that you buy from but why pay the extra $10... no National Parks or landmarks near you?

Good point ... but they are a couple hours drive = $10 diesel... most are closed now (snow). So heck I even get the fancy card holder!
Something to happy about turning 62 ...before the increase.

At one park I was at recently (can't remember which one) a ranger asked me if I wanted one of the holders when I showed them my pass. I think the parks have them on hand for the asking.

Congress should be passing legislation to increase NPS funding instead of passing the costs back onto us a second time. I fear with the state of our new government we will end up saying goodbye to public land also. Distressing times ahead for America.

www.mulehawk.com

MuleHawk said:
Congress should be passing legislation to increase NPS funding instead of passing the costs back onto us a second time. I fear with the state of our new government we will end up saying goodbye to public land also. Distressing times ahead for America.

www.mulehawk.com
X2
Frank

Well, my original goal of informing people who might not know about the card to get theirs ASAP to maximize cost efficiency has been met. I agree with the many people who say it is a bargain even at the $80 (or going rate in the future). Our public lands are a great treasure and deserve all the support they can get. But let's not let it devolve into a political rant. Getting out there is the perfect antidote to spending too much time focusing on the news. Stay safe, y'all!

MuleHawk said:

www.mulehawk.com

Different take on what Bseek said....I agree with her that at $80 it still is a bargain....my reasoning is that it is a lifetime pass/discount card AND those of us using the federal lands should be the ones footing the bill with our fees...

Not politics but budgeting issue in my mind...you play you pay; don't expect others to pay for you...and it is a smoking deal for those 62 and over.

Just my approach...Phil

Stalking Light said:
At one park I was at recently (can't remember which one) a ranger asked me if I wanted one of the holders when I showed them my pass. I think the parks have them on hand for the asking.
Indeed they do. Usually, they give you one. If you have a motorcycle, you can also get a free NP sticker for your windscreen. It doesn't replace the paid pass; available since you can't display your paid pass without someone possibly borrowing it forever.

Wallowa said:
Different take on what Bseek said....I agree with her that at $80 it still is a bargain....my reasoning is that it is a lifetime pass/discount card AND those of us using the federal lands should be the ones footing the bill with our fees...

Not politics but budgeting issue in my mind...you play you pay; don't expect others to pay for you...and it is a smoking deal for those 62 and over.

Just my approach...Phil
Check!

I've always been for user fees. But, like most bloated bureaucracies requiring Congressional budget support in addition to user fees is simply the norm. It is indeed a budget issue, not political.

I suspect they could pass off more seasonal NP Ranger jobs to volunteers.

Having been a volunteer I think you underestimate the amount of training seasonal rangers get and overestimate that which volunteers get. There's more to administering a park than cleaning restrooms. An sadly, the desire to sell off public lands is political whether we like it or not. I'm hoping we don't start seeing more no trespassing signs on what used to be public lands, but I'm not betting on it.

Buckland, the card with the flowers is the right one. When I got ours in 2014 it was at Smoky Mountain NP, and I was told you had to purchase it at a National Park. Looks like they will allow online now. Another benefit is 50% off on camping fees. Another thing to consider is joining the association at one of the NP'S and you will get 10% off on merchandise purchases at all NP's. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

JD thanks... as I am new to this I believe they just started the system whereby one can submit a drivers license or passport copy (jpg) to verify age. It worked for me. I would gladly pay more. Our National Parks say a lot of who we are as Americans. Once they are not taken care of it would be a long way back. There is no greater "monument" that compares to the naturally created.

Stalking Light said:
Having been a volunteer I think you underestimate the amount of training seasonal rangers get and overestimate that which volunteers get. There's more to administering a park than cleaning restrooms. An sadly, the desire to sell off public lands is political whether we like it or not. I'm hoping we don't start seeing more no trespassing signs on what used to be public lands, but I'm not betting on it.
Charlie, like I mentioned earlier, my brother-in-law (B-I-L) is the retired Superintendent of Great Smokey Mountains NP. I am acutely aware of the time and effort of "seasonals" and volunteers having first volunteered for a 3 week stint at Canyon de Chelly National Monument in 1983 when my B-I-L was head ranger at the monument (was not officially a Super back then at the monument).

My sister was a seasonal at Ft. Sumter NP where she met her husband. My mother (a Ph.D in American History) was a volunteer historical interpreter and history lecturer at both Forts Sumter and Moultrie starting in 1966.

Our family has witnessed the NP bureaucracy grow by leaps and bounds in both personnel and budget all the while acreage open to the public has decreased. There are many, many factors which have led to the decline of the NPS ability to effectively administer our national parks and monuments; many political, but mostly budget constraints.

Too bad there aren't more people (especially Geezers) like Charlie (Charlie, didn't mean to imply you're a Geezer) who are willing to volunteer their time and effort for 7, 30, perhaps 90 days at a stretch during peak visitor seasons. It would really helps ease the burden of the NP staff and more importantly, enhance the visitor's experience.

But, if I don't get my $10 Geezer life time card before President Obama signs the Bill, I will eagerly pay $80 for life time access. Still a great deal anyway you look at it for $80!

I am not sure I understand the comment that NPS acreage open to the public has decreased in recent times? It seems to me that the amount of NPS land has increased significantly in the last couple of decades with 5 new national parks and dozens of new National Monuments with millions of acres. Unfortunately the budget doesn't appear to have kept pace with these new lands.

At the park where I worked areas had to be closed off due to sensitive areas being damaged or vandalized. I also remember back in the 70's I'd drive all over the place on fire and logging roads in my Jeep but now many, if not most, of those are closed to keep people from tearing them up or getting stuck and expecting a ranger to pull them out for free. I think the decision was made that if they can't maintain them they'd just close them.

I have seen similar Charlie... and agree. It's not just that civility has diminished .... but since the 70's there are twice as many in the same proportions. There comes a time ...when to save a place, one has to close it off to let it rebound from abuse.

I think most of the new NP or monuments with millions of acres is under water. Probably have submarine campers before too long! Hey that's not a bad idea.... I better get my design in to the patent office!

I agree that some sensitive areas no longer have unrestricted access due to damage (in Chaco Canyon, Canyon De Chelly and Mesa Verde in particular), but many of these areas can still be visited with a ranger or permit and this acreage pales in comparison to the addition of areas such as Katahdin Woods (~100,000 acres), Castle Mountains (~20,000 acres), Pinnacles (~20,000 acres), Tule Springs (~20,000 acres) which were all created in the last few years. These new parks and monuments protect hundreds of thousands of acres that are all open to the public for perpetuity. I still don't understand the claim that NPS lands have decreased.

Stalking Light said:
At the park where I worked areas had to be closed off due to sensitive areas being damaged or vandalized. I also remember back in the 70's I'd drive all over the place on fire and logging roads in my Jeep but now many, if not most, of those are closed to keep people from tearing them up or getting stuck and expecting a ranger to pull them out for free. I think the decision was made that if they can't maintain them they'd just close them.

To get back on topic - I am a long way from my geezer card, but I have had annual passes and a membership to the NPCA for at least the last decade and I think even these are a steal at $80 a year. I really can't imagine anything that is a better use of $80 besides a lifetime pass.

Back
Top Bottom