Getting on Roof?

sameguy

Advanced Member
I need to install a new solar panel which will mean getting on the roof if my Hawk. I was thinking I would put a big piece of cardboard up there, then a piece of plywood to distribute my weight more evenly. Wondering what others have done or would suggest.

I used a ladder and am able to reach the middle from each side and didn't get on the roof. I think its rated at 100lbs, I'm double that so didn't want to chance it. Of course I only had to reach as far as the yakima roof rails, so that made it easier.

I have an ‘07 Hawk and had to do some work on my roof vent and reseal my roof. I used an old blanket and a 4’x4’ sheet of plywood to distribute my weight.

Could you put up a ladder on both sides and run a plank between them that would support your weight?

I've been able to do solar panel and vent work with a ladder from either side. Sometimes want someone supporting the ladder as I might be leaning out a bit but it all worked out in the end.

larryqp said:
I used a ladder and am able to reach the middle from each side and didn't get on the roof. I think its rated at 100lbs, I'm double that so didn't want to chance it. Of course I only had to reach as far as the yakima roof rails, so that made it easier.

I think that is "1,000 lbs"

I have Yakima tracks. I doubled over a moving blanket. Placed it width wise on the roof. Placed a piece of plywood on the tracks, then used a ladder and crawled around on it.

The camper is on the truck and will be staying on for the install. It's a flex panel and I have no tracks so there is no way to do it from the side, I will just go with my original plan of cardboard (or moving blanket) and a piece of ply. I know the roof can support a 1000lb snow load so little worry about my 170lbs doing any damage. Thank you all for your thoughts, always nice to bounce ideas off the group and see what sticks.

Over the years of ownership of our ATC Bobcat I have gone on the roof several times.
I try to place my weight on the roof "ribs"where the screws are. Don't make a habit of it
but haven't had any problems.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom