Getting ready...

bajafshrman

Advanced Member
Can't wait to put this great little camper to good use. But… gotta get it squared away first.

My '06 Tundra was already pretty set up with some decent suspension upgrades - King coil over's in the front with Best Built UCA's - 5100's in the rear with a leaf added to the pack for additional payload. I added some airbags and I think I'm all set.

front.jpg
bag.jpg

Can only seem to upload a couple of photos per post so I'll proceed like this...

I don't have much confidence in the integrity of these truck beds - they just don't build them like they used to! The truck bed in the Tacoma this camper was on was dimpled and pulled up from the pressure on the eye bolts. After some deliberation and consultation via email with Marty (awesome help, by the way!) I decided to add some 2" angle iron across the front to help distribute the load. The rear eye bolts ended up being pretty close to a cross support so I added some heavy duty backing plates - should do the trick.

angle.jpg

angle2.jpg

Add a 2x with some form pads glued on for good measure and I think I'm ready to throw her up there.

pad.jpg

Time to throw her up there...

This camper came without jacks. The only thing I had access to were these ancient chinese secret camper jacks that have been bent and welded and were super sketchy. So be it… got a couple of buddies over to help balance her and up we go.

up.jpg

up2.jpg

I'm gonna have to get some jacks - that was just way too scary! But, we got it done and she's looking proud!

proud.jpg

Looking good. I keep telling myself I'll put proper suspension on my rig one of these days.
How's the south road to Insurgentes? A path getting worn in yet?

Next up… some interior mods...

The layout is pretty simple but for the wife and I the little bench/couch down one side and the cabinet down the other side just didn't work. Besides, I hate having all the weight down one side and way up high (fridge/propane/water). While I was lobbying to take it all out and make it a shell model the wife was adamant about keeping the counter and cabinet - guess who won! But, at least she agreed that the weight was an issue and the layout could use some alteration. We played around with some different ideas and landed on adding a bench across the front that can convert into a nice wide bed.

I had some finish ply laying around so I built a box across the front of the camper - this will serve to house the water tank and the battery (weight forward and as low as possible). The existing cushions turned out to be just the right size.

relax.jpg

This gives us a lot more floor space and if we get creative with the cushions some different seating and lounging options. I added a support rail so we can add more cushions and make a bed.

relaxed.jpg

relaxed2.jpg

I'm going to add a small swing-away table so if you take the center cushion out you can have a small dinette. We mostly cook and hang out outside - we still have all our old camping gear - so this area is really only for sleeping or escaping from the wind and dust (common occurrence in baja!)

I think this arrangement is going to suit us much better and it will work better for a couple of guys on a quick surf excursion as there are two separate beds that are wide enough to be comfy. Got super lucky and the new bins I just bought fit perfectly under the lower bed. There's room for two bins and my big cooler - searching for a small portable fridge to occupy that space...

stuffed.jpg

driving.jpg

Absolutely, small spaces are a challenge for sure. But, once you get it set the way you like it there's a spot for everything.

I wasn't all that happy with the unfinished look so I decided to dress it up a bit.

finish.jpg

Looks a lot cleaner. The top comes off the box along the side - most of it is shallow but good for tarp poles or a beach umbrella. The back corner is deep and perfect for taller items. And, this is much better support for the cushions when I make the bed.

Couple more details and I'll be ready to go...

Back
Top Bottom