Getting Satellite Radio Reception with a Camper installed

Lawnmowerman is correct on the fees. I do the same with Sirius. I leave the boom box at the cabin and the plan is to install a 12v car radio in my FWC, along with a vehicle mount. Then I can take the receiver from the truck and either mount it in my FWC, or the boom box, depending on where I am at the time.

Looks like they've changed the head unit (radio) for the 2016 Tacoma. I could not get the adapter from TSS to come even close to fitting the Sirius output connection on the unit. :unsure:

So, no luck on replacing the shark fin antenna that is now blocked by the Eagle shell.

Hope it works for you. The new antenna is almost as good as the factory fin. I lose signal once in awhile but only when blocked from sky view.

FYI
I ran a second antenna cable, original for when the camper is off and one for when the camper is on. I just unplug one cable and plug in the second. The second antenna is mounted in the center of the dash at the base of the windshield and works fine.

That is a great idea. Those radios pull out so quick it would be an easy swap when the camper is off.

Anyone personally attempted the antenna mod on a Gen 3 (16-17) Tacoma?

Metra (web site) hasn't released any data or products to date for the Gen 3.

Kayaks on Thule XSporter Pro rack have eliminated our SAT Comm/Nav.

Thanks.

Bill

AdvMoto18 - Bill - did you pull the radio and look at the back? Guessing there is a video on youtube somewhere to show how. If you can find the plug it may not be a big problem. I did mine on a 2015 and found an adapter (earlier post) to get the new cable to connect.

I have a similar issue on my 2016 Tacoma. I don't really care about the satellite radio, but I feel that FM reception has suffered as well. Does anyone know if the FM antenna is also in the shark fin antenna on the roof? Judging by my poor reception is seems like it is. I need my NPR!

PS pulling the radio on the new Tacoma is super easy - grab the plastic surround to the radio and give it a tug - it pops right off revealing four 10mm bolts that hold the radio.

rando said:
I have a similar issue on my 2016 Tacoma. I don't really care about the satellite radio, but I feel that FM reception has suffered as well. Does anyone know if the FM antenna is also in the shark fin antenna on the roof? Judging by my poor reception is seems like it is. I need my NPR!
Life would hardly be worth living without Science Fridays. [emoji6]

I have the Colorado and have to unscrew the mast antenna as it is to tall for the cab over. My solution was to find a short bolt that that had same thread and used a piece of coaxial cable to maher a 4 ft extension and mounted the mast on the side of the cab over. I too need my NPR!

Back
Top Bottom