Going Lite

lizz

Well, until I have the dollars in hand, I'm going to go light and get an Adventure I truck tent (no floor, so you don't have to empty the bed to set up) for my Ford Ranger. Then I'm going to get two Roll-a-Cots that will set up over the wheel wells inside the bed. With a camping pad on them, they should be tolerable. I will continue to look for a good deal on an FWC.

Thats how I started! My wife and I went out to Yellowstone last year and I picked up a used Adventure 1 on ebay for about $100. It worked great! With my truck being a full size, I made a plywood platform for over the wheel wells and placed our old full size mattress on it.....comfy!. To make life easier getting to our supplies, I made a roll out tray out of angle iron and caster wheels.....worked like a dream! Since we were driving every day, I kept the tent attached to the bed rails. When we packed up in the morning, we would take the poles down, fold the tent over the mattess and snap the toneau cover over the whole thing. Putting it up took maybe 10 min.

Good luck!
Rick

Attachments

• DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 780
  • DSCN0218.jpg
    DSCN0218.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 797
People camp over this continent in pickup shells. My wife and I have done it for many years and we still use the shell on occasion, leaving the camper at home. We use a shell that seals to the cab with a big rubber gasket. It allows sliding rear window access, great on the road. We use an elevated plywood floor, Thermorests, and sleeping bags. My daughter wants a large desk brought up to Boston from Alabama. We use the shell to haul the desk and take a camping trip on the way home.

The big negative with a shell is lack of head room. I find myself standing inside the open door of the pickup in some WalMart parking lot with my pants down adjusting my shirt and some old lady sneaks up behind me and screams FLASHER!. Using a Port-a-potty humped over inside a shell clenches the deal for me to bring the camper most of the time.

great pictures

Having a shell is probably more low key, but like having an open pickup truck when driving around.

So how did you build the frame for the plywood to sit on? Did the tent straps stay on the outside of the truck at the bottom of the outside body? I don't have a cover for my truck, so if I did that I would have to criss cross some rope from the hooks in the inside of the truck bed. They are difficult to get to because the holes in the bedliner were not cut in the right spot. I'm going to cut them bigger.

The only other issue I have is that if I put stuff in the bed of the truck, then when I carry a surfboard it will stick out more because the board won't be angeled downward at the front. This isn't much of a problem with a shorterboard, but I am probably going to buy a 9'6" from a friend of mine. I like to keep all the weight low and not have racks. The 9'6" may stick out more and I'm thinking of getting a bedextender. I'm wondering if I can make it so the bedextender removes quickly and completely off the truck?

Thanks for all the great tips!! (and photos)

Liz,
You'll be fine. Like just about everyone here we prefer more remote and rugged areas. Pam and I camped for 5 years in my Nissan with a shell and 15 years in the T-100 with a shell. We prefer to cook, eat and hang around outside so it was not a problem. But at 64 I decided I was tired of crawling in and out of the shell to sleep and P. We wanted a little more comfort and convenience. And than there's the occasional rain or wind so the FWC or ATC suits us perfectly.
Jay

right on lizz, keep searching, you never know what you'll find :D . also, may want to check out flippac. they make a tent topper that people seem to like quite a bit...check out this set up

http://www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/index.htm

also, check out his chris's (bajataco) camper set up for a really nice example of a WELL built sleeping platform. wildernest's are also a great option however hard to find...just sold mine but here is a pick or two...make sure if you do go this route to get one thats in good shape because they are no longer made making repairs a little tricky...cheers

Attachments

• IMGP1039.jpg
    IMGP1039.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 735
Plywood Frame

Lizz,

On the GMC there is a ridge on the bedsides at the same height as the wheel wells. There are 4 flat spots on this ridge to place a 2x6 and run it from side to side. This allows you to double decker your load if you want. The full size bed is 8+ feet long. The bed mattress is only 75" long. I was able to use 3 of the 4 spots to run my slats. I then screwed a piece of 3/4" CDX plywood cut to 75" in length to the slats. This allowed me to put 2 - 6 day coolers between the bed mattress and the tailgate. My bed liner is a spray in so I don't have an issue with access to the bed rails. If your liner wraps around and over the top of the bed rails you'll have to drill several wholes to accept the clips along the length of the tent. Then the side flaps over the bed side and attach to the bottom rim of the bed sides. When I wanted to pack up, I just loosen the lower straps and remove them from the bed sides bottom rim and flip them over into the bed. The whole tent folded flat on top of the bed mattress. I left the clips on the top bed rails attached. The toneau cover I'm using is from a company called Berlin (made by the Amish). It snaps all the way around, not just on 3 sides so I was able to completely remove the toneau cover and leave all the rails attached to the bed rails. The flaps that flip over the bedsids to strap to the bottom of the bed sides are generous enough to allow the toneau rails to stay attached to the bed rails. I'm sure I'm not explaining it all that well. It's really very simple. If you'd like other photos.....let me know. I can't help you with the surfboard issue though.

Rick

P.S. Head room in this tent is unbelievable! At 6', I can almost stand up in it!

I did a lot of camping in a shell

My old Toyota truck with a shell that had doors that opened on the sides was a better camper than my Dodge with the shell that only opened from the rear. I could reach everything from outside, I built a platform which I placed my bed on so I could keep everything in the truck and still have a place to sleep. That truck eventually died and I did the shell camping thing with my current Dodge for 6 years. Like others here, I'm getting a little old and having a place to stand while I get dressed, heat up coffee, etc. is a real luxury.

Erod mentioned the flip pack and I was looking for one of those (for price reasons) when I found my used FWC at a price I couldn't ignore. More expensive than a flip pack, but more convenient too.

Lizz,

I have never seen two camping setups alike. This is one of the great things about camping out of a pickup; each person makes their own setup. One of my daughters bought a very nice used Tacoma. Dad bought her a used shell that was custom made for a Tacoma and painted to match. It cost about $800 installed. Since this picture, she has put a Yakima rack on the roof. One thing I am pleased Laura always has with her camping is reliable muscle. That is probably the best equipment a girl could have as far as a dad is concerned.

John

Attachments

• Laura camping Muscle takes picture.jpg
    Laura camping Muscle takes picture.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 678
Lizz,

Truck camping is GREAT!! you will have a blast!..

I can remember distinctly the day our truck camping lives changed...My wife and I had just returned from our honeymoon of two months in baja, tent camping out of the back of our old Toyota 4by pick up..while driving in to our nieghborhood we spotted an old FWC on a little nissan pickup. My wife said "boy if we could just find some sucker tht wanted to sell one of those"

THe very next day the neighbor kid came around the corner on his skate and said "wow did you see the pop up camper for sale around the corner for $400, I bet it would look cool on your truck" Running to the bank I was..A truely life changing moment 10 years ago!

Good luck in your quest...remember 75% of luck is recognizing opportunity...

TT

Cool photos

Also, going on frequent trips helps to figure out what works and what stuff isn't needed. I have three little neices/nephew that I have to figure out where to put. I introduced them early on to camping and they love it. I think besides nature, they meet other kids too.

DLN,

It was a 1984 Fleet model in great shape, some mold but all systems worked good. The guy had gotten it for nothing from a relative and didn't know what he had.He didn't want it, and it was crippling his little reg. cab 4cyl. nissan 2by..

sold it a coupla months ago for $5oo to a fire fighter kid who was stoked out of his gord...... I miss it, a little. Here's a pic of the old war wagon

Attachments

• 1011801270_004.JPG
    1011801270_004.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 628
Lizz, A trailer is an excellent way to camp. Look up “teardrop” trailers up on the web. They are fascinating. This is a similar concept to the Tentrax unit referenced. Trailers work well with small low powered cars, for people who can’t afford, or don’t have space, for a recreational vehicle. My utility trailer is 60 years old and has seen more use than I can recount. It has wheels with 5 X 4.5 bolt circle. This means the wheels and tires fit many Ford and Chrysler products, more or less universal wheels. Thus, there are plenty of spare tires when going off road. If you notice in the Tentrax advertisement pictures, the tires and wheels match the off road tow vehicle, important.

Recently, I towed my utility trailer on the highway to haul something some distance away. Fuel economy was virtually the same as my truck would have gotten empty.

You don’t need to spend 4 or 5 grand for a utility trailer. Little used boat trailers can be bought for a few dollars. Add plywood on the frame, tie on your stuff. Be sure and repack the hubs on a used trailer before going on the highway. Wal-Mart stocks a supply of wheels, hubs, and trailer accessories. Most light truck bumpers are made to mount a trailer ball and stressed for towing up to 2000 pounds. Newer pickups even have ready made holes under the rear bumper for safety chains.

After you get your new FWC/ATC you can continue to use your trailer to haul gear for those nieces and nephews. John

Yeah Repacking wheels

I had a small boat trailer and my friend showed me how to repack the wheel bearings. It wasn't all that complicated, but it takes time.

I sent away for a DVD from Four Wheel Camper and I received it today. It's very cool and shows a lot of features. I really like the brown fabric for the folding couch. I'm thinking that I would like to get a Toyota Double Cab with a full size bed. I'm still researching vehicles and options. I have a ford ranger and when it's hot and I'm not using the AC, I like having the back window open, it ventilates well. The Toyota Double cab does not include a moonroof, even as an option, only the Crew Cab. Lately, I've been parking where it's hot and I need immediate air circulation to cool the car.

With a camper that hangs over the cab of your truck, the rear window can bring in even more air. Driving down the road, air is forced into the space between the overhang and the roof of the truck. This pressurizes the air between the truck and camper. The overhang shades the cab, plus air pours into the rear window. Nice.

a 4 wheel dvd? that sounds cool, i would like to check that out. good luck with your search for the vehicle however i think the choice is clear what camper manufacturerS to go with...cheers!

Back
Top Bottom