Going Lite

Camper

Thanks for all the great tips. I just bought a Ford Escape 4WD, actually it's all wheel drive, but it says 4 x 4 on the registration. I am keeping the Ford Ranger for hauling, etc. I would like to eventually get a double cab truck and either a Four Wheel Camper or an Alaskan Camper. I'm weighing the pros and cons and have learned that there Alaskan Campers might have a facility in Winslow, Arizona. I'm not real keen on having either camper hanging off the back of the truck (past the bed.) I understand that I would have to have a more powerful truck for the Alaskan Camper and of course the price is higher.

Liz,

Heres a pic when we were just using a shell. This was taken in Bahia De Los Angeles. We camped for a lot of years this way.

Jay

Attachments

• Small Baja Truck.jpg
    Small Baja Truck.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 347
All of the spots had palapas but this was the only one with a "yurt". There are a number of beach camps in Bay of L.A. ranging in price based on facilities available. As you can see this was very rustic. If you go be sure to go to the Sea Turtle Rescue place.

We watched a humback for three days just off our campsite here.

Bay of L.A. now has a well paved highway to it. Its actually better than the main highway north and south. Its a mixed blessing because any car can get there with ease and the development is going to explode. But you can still 4 wheel south of the town to pristine beaches. A great side trip is Mission San Borjas. Its a rough road through gorgeous landscape but you dont need 4WD.

Back
Top Bottom