Gone Solar!

Under Bed Batteries

Camelracer,

I'd like to turn the truck over every year or two and so would like to keep the investment in it (time and $) to a minimum.

That said, the rig is coming up on two years old this October and we haven't replaced it yet, so, if they won't fit in the existing compartment I'll check out what it would take for under the bed and see how much of an inverstment it would be.

Thanks for the input!
D

More food for thought...

An interesting issue to consider: how much does that panel weigh? Kyoceras weigh in at 29 pounds for 135 watts and 41 pounds for 200 watts, but a 200 watt Sanyo is just 31 pounds.

The 200w Sanyo is significantly more expensive than the 135w Kyocera; is the increased power worth it? (10 pounds of weight savings IS worth it.)

As an aside, I'd like a DC refer. That means LOTS of power. More than a 200w panel, I think.

I solved the dual battery space problem by mounting them under the truck.
Dick,

Can you please provide a pic?

Thanks,
SB

Me, too...

I just ordered my panel, mount, and controller from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. :thumb: I'm happy to report the sales staff is technically knowledgeable and quite courteous. They do NOT work on commission. Furthermore, I found their pricing very reasonable. For these reasons, I feel comfortable recommending them.

I chose a 65 watt Kyocera panel and basic charge controller. This setup should just meet my power needs while weighing under 14 pounds. (The 85 watt panel was 24 pounds. 20 more watts aren't worth 10 pounds!) EDIT: The 85 watt panel is actually 18.3 pounds.

While there are plenty of higher powered options, I couldn't justify any greater weight or expense.

I started this exercise wondering if I could use solar as a power source for a DC refer. The answer is yes, but NOT without some serious weight on the roof.

i know that this will be a good investment. the simplification of battery maintenance is wonderful.

fyi: there are 210+ watt full size panels available. appx $1000

running a engle unit would require multiple. and full time sun.

on a fwc you can only put up enough square inches of solar to offset only the minimal incidentals (CO2 &* propane sensors) with the remaining going toward battery maintenance. leaving a light on, forgetting a stereo, will result in a battery rundown. but once turned off, the solar will recover the battery...as long as there is light.

those charge controllers are pretty sophisticated.

Scotty,
One day soon I've got to get up there and see your rig. I need to make a run to Industrial Metal Supply soon and Pam's brother lives in Antehem. I think after you install the solar set up.

Jeff:

I think I can run a DC refer for as long as I need w/ 400ah worth of battery and about 300 watts of paneling. I was thinking marine refer (e.g. NovaKool, IsoTherm, etc) as opposed to Engel. Ultimately to many dollars and too many pounds!!!

The 65 watt is probably enough to offset my furnace running when it's cold or my fans when it's hot. And it's certainly enough to run one of my LEDs 24/7. No stereo in my camper...

Jay:

Make sure you wait until I get the dinette back in the camper! :thumb: Let me know when you come up. Maybe Skeeter will meet us.

SB

Look forward to reports!

Scott,

We'll look forward to seeing your installation and hearing how it works out for you. The weight factor really is important to us too.

Happy Trails!
'birds

I chose a 65 watt Kyocera panel and basic charge controller. This setup should just meet my power needs while weighing under 14 pounds. (The 85 watt panel was 24 pounds. 20 more watts aren't worth 10 pounds!)

The 85watt panel is listed at 18.3lb. The 135w is closer to that 24lb at 28.7lb.

The 85watt panel is listed at 18.3lb. The 135w is closer to that 24lb at 28.7lb.

AZ Wind & Sun has them wrong on the page! I wanted to go with the 11 pound 50 watt panel, but needed a tad more juice...

AZ Wind & Sun has them wrong on the page! I wanted to go with the 11 pound 50 watt panel, but needed a tad more juice...

I see, I was just looking at the spec sheet.

Did you run across any portable installations around the same wattage you used when you were doing your research?

I don't know if it's practical or not, but I'd like to be able to transfer solar from camper to boat to cabin using the same panel, controller, etc. just hooking up to wing nut connectors at the battery terminal.

Duane,

Check this: Power Film foldable and rollable solar panels/chargers.

The largest foldable is 60 watts @ $900 and the rollable is 30 watts @ ???? dollars.

For that price you could have 2 full 65 watt panel installs.

$$$$

Scott,

I checked out the foldable/rollable but the $ were high enough that it spooked me.

The panel you got at < 14# (?) and around 26" X 30" sounds like it could be an easy portable too and for a lot less!

Thanks!
'birds

5% off Coupon at the AltE store

I got my panel and charge controller from the alternative Energy store, altestore.com, and spoke with them a couple of times about what I was doing. My experience was very good.

They sent me a 5% off coupon code: ALTEIS10 in case anyone is planing to order anything from them.

Dick,

Can you please provide a pic?

Thanks,
SB

Scott,

Sorry it took so long to respond but by the time I took the pictures I forgot where I saw your post. The first picture is from the front looking back and the second is from the back looking forward. I made up a couple of dummy cardboard batteries and a base tray to check for fit then found bed mounts and braces to hang them from. Seems to work OK. Did the racetrack and Baja and they're still there.

Dick

Attachments

• 100_2185.jpg
    100_2185.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_2187.jpg
    100_2187.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 358

Back
Top Bottom