Got CPAP? Battery Info Here

esimmers

Want to use a CPAP machine in your FWC at night to help you sleep? I thought I'd share what I have learned from powering mine with my FWC's factory-size house battery.

Main Takeaways:

1. Make sure your CPAP machine will run on 12 volts DC, the same voltage as your battery.
2. Power your machine directly from your battery; don't use an inverter and wall adapter.
3. No heated humidifier, the heating element uses just too much electricity.

With these tips, you could probably run a CPAP by itself for a week from a camper house battery. Of course, you will also be using your house battery for lights, the refrigerator, etc., but this gives you an idea about how easy it is to power a CPAP machine with your current system if you're reasonably careful.

First: Make sure your CPAP machine runs on 12 volts.

Find a new or used CPAP machine that is powered when home by one of those external power bricks that output 12 volts DC. These machines are easy to find although some newer machines are switching to 24 volt power bricks that we can't use. Lots of info online for setting the right breathing pressure once you find a machine.

Second, power your machine directly from your battery; don't use an inverter and wall adapter.

You wouldn't pay double for gas for your truck, why pay double for electricity from your battery to power your CPAP machine? You will use at least twice as much electricity from your battery if you use an inverter and the wall adapter you use at home. All the wall adapter does is to convert 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC. Doesn't make sense then to use an inverter to make 120 volts AC from your 12 volt DC battery. You can purchase a power cord with a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug on one end and the 12 volt CPAP fitting on the other. The CPAP manufacturers sell them although you can find them cheaper online or your local electronics store.

Finally, don't try to run a heated humidifier.

Humidifiers contain a heating element to heat the water in the tank so it humidifies the air you breath through the CPAP hose. Heaters take a HUGE amount of energy to work; you'd be lucky to get one full night out of a camper house battery using a humidifier turned on high.

______

I hope this info is helpful. For your information, I tracked the energy used by my CPAP setup powered directly from my 12v battery: about 5-6 amp hours for one full night. Most house batteries are rated 80-100 amp hour capacity but you shouldn't run them down more than half way. So 40-50 amp hours is all you want to pull from your house battery without damaging it. That's 6-8 nights, optimistically, if you didn't use the battery for anything else (not likely).

You probably have some solar power or charge your battery when driving. So figure a night's worth of CPAP machine runs your battery down 10-20%. That gives you a general idea about how much juice you need to restore to your battery each day to keep it topped off.

I took a different approach and not saying it's better than your good idea, but since I like to use my heated element, especially on colder nights I went this way. I also wanted one unit I can use in my camper and in a house on 120. So I use my solar panel to charge up a portable backup generator that is Lithium Ion. I plug my backup power unit to my inverter and charge it to 100%. I then use it to run my CPAP all night with heated element. The unit is easy to carry for other purposes, like jump starting a car, etc. I use it to also charge my cell/tablet using its USB ports or its 120 outlets. I run my CPAP all night and often only need to top it off a bit the next day. I became wary of over using my battery after running it down a few times (power hog refer) without much sun the next day for my solar panel too. I could even plug it into a solar panel to charge it directly if I wanted, but have not needed to do that yet.

Here is the link to the unit.....

https://www.amazon.com/EasyFocus-Portable-Generator-Inverter-Emergency/dp/B01J44VSL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524462097&sr=8-2&keywords=chafon%2Bbattery&dpID=41vhovzw3ML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

I'm approaching this from a slightly different perspective. I have a Resmed s9 cpap machine. As you can see from the following graphic, machine use, humidifier use, and heated tube use about 5 to 7 amps an hour.

full

My solution is 490 watts of solar on a frame that tilts, 200 amp hour in batteries, and a battery isolator that'll charge the batteries when driving.

https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20092-Battery-Doctor-Isolator/dp/B0058SGDFK

I live where the average humidity is 10% to 30%. Without the humidifier my sinuses and throat get way too dry. My whole body is affected. I feel differently for a couple hours when I awake using the humidifier and when I don't.

As an aside, the two vents go on today. I'll drill the final holes in the solar panel frame to fit them, and then put the panel-less roof onto the camper ready for the sideliner.

Jeff
Laramie, WY

philos65, that is the exact same machine I had until just a couple weeks ago when I went to see my "Sleep" doc. Thought the machine was fine, didn't seem bad. But the doc ran it on some machine he had and told me that it was time to replace it. If you have had yours for a few years now, might be smart to check it out if you can. I guess they are hard to tell if something is wrong since they really don't have any "idiot" lights like a car. Complete shutdown would be another thing entirely. BTW, new machine is smaller, lighter and the tank just pushes into the side. The new mask was a major improvement too.

Back
Top Bottom