GPS software question

Leadsled,
Looking at these maps they don't seem all that detailed, can they be zoomed in for more detail of trails and roads?

Yes, I'll post examples later....gotta run now.

I found out the hard way also that install is to c: drive only. Also, you need a DVD drive to install City Navigator.

My link Try this out for a tutorial and may help.

Like everything there is a learning curve but a great tool once you get it going.

Rant on. Decided to install the garmin 24k us map. Hit install and it took off. No option to change drives or directories. If I'd known it would take two hours and make my system slow to a crawl I would have waited.

No tutorial. Help system is awful. I still can't figure out how to select part of a map.

Still can't find a list of all the symbols.

On the plus side the detail is what I wanted. But I only found that after I went into options and move the slider over to max detail. Wasn't mentioned anywhere. The online demo made me think it wouldnt do this.

Way bad, at least two areas I looked at it does not show the locked gates. Critical failure.

So far I give garmin a d-.

Looking at these maps they don't seem all that detailed, can they be zoomed in for more detail of trails and roads?

Here are a couple of examples of the Windy Hill area at Roosevelt Lake in Arizona.

This is Mapsource:
Mapsource.JPG

Here's the Nat Geo Topo example. It is exactly the same as the USGS 24k topos. I've used USGS topos my entire life so I'm more partial to it for printing maps.

Attachments

• Nat Geo Topo.JPG
    Nat Geo Topo.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 170
Here's the Nat Geo Topo example. It is exactly the same as the USGS 24k topos. I've used USGS topos my entire life so I'm more partial to it for printing maps.

That's what I'm talking about, both have plenty of detail for my use, but man, that Nat Geo version is nice! Loosk like it would print some fine maps. Thanks for all your help on the subject.

I found out the hard way also that install is to c: drive only. Also, you need a DVD drive to install City Navigator.

My link Try this out for a tutorial and may help.

Like everything there is a learning curve but a great tool once you get it going.

Thanks for the link. I don't get any grids. Guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks for the link. I don't get any grids. Guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

You have to click the "map tool" in order to get the grids. See my example above.

That's what I'm talking about, both have plenty of detail for my use, but man, that Nat Geo version is nice! Loosk like it would print some fine maps. Thanks for all your help on the subject.

Note the difference in "trails" that are depicted by the two different software packages. That is an example of what I was saying before about some trails showing up on one but not the other and vice versa.

......But, bottom line, pvstoy is right on, nothing replaces the 24k maps and I never trust my life to something that runs on batteries.

i just had to comment on this.

a lot of folks trust their lives to battery powered devices all the time. pacemakers are a good example.
your vehicle goes nowhere without its battery.
radios, nav systems, flashlights, etc....you cant get by without all thet stuff....or the people that have to rescue you are depending on it.

always keep a spare.

i just had to comment on this.

a lot of folks trust their lives to battery powered devices all the time. pacemakers are a good example.
your vehicle goes nowhere without its battery.
radios, nav systems, flashlights, etc....you cant get by without all thet stuff....or the people that have to rescue you are depending on it.

always keep a spare.

Sometimes a battery operated device goes down......and the batteries are fine. Always carry a map and compass just in case Murphy's Law shines on YOU.

I have the west covered by NG Topo! and also love it.
They have discontinued Topo! including the state series though which is weird.
I don't know of a better option out there that offers the same abilities, so why not continue selling an existing product? Either way it still works and now the used state series are selling for more.
In some cases more than the former new retail price, if your lucky enough to find the states your looking for. I would like to find Hawaii, mid west, and east coast states to complete my Topo! if anyone has them or knows of something.
Eric

I have the NG TOPO sets for the eleven contiguous Western states (but not AK or HI).
And I only recently learned that they're no longer available. :(
But maybe this means I own a valuable resource to supplement my retirement...?? ;)

Back
Top Bottom