Granby Broken door

Mongo

Well my son and I made it out this weekend on the maiden voyage with out new to us FWC. The trip was great with one exception. going from the camp site the back door opened on it's own and got wedged against the boat trailer which tore up the door pretty bad and knocked the trolling motor loose which went trough the siding to the right of the door....... :mad:

So, now I need some siding and (much more difficult) a door. I am pretty handy and think I could handle the door construction. I just need the materials to make a new one. Especially the aluminum outer trim and seal. So I suppose I'll contact FWC tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe it'd be more practical to just get a replacement but I imagine thats $$$.

I may just put a metal sign over the hole in the siding. Not sure How to handle that one....

suggestions appreciated.
ymy7adys.jpg
9y3egu3e.jpg
3u4avu6a.jpg
y4yzajy5.jpg

Ouch. I'd be tempted to just cover up the hole also. The door I suspect you'll have to get a new one.

Depending on where you go, (FWC or ATC) the door and frame runs $275 to $295 from what I remember. The good thing sort of is that gets you a screen door also if you don't have one.

Don't feel too bad as you were out at least. I forgot to put the jack stand under my Grandby storage trailer this winter. While unloading it for cleaning it got out of balance, the trailer tipped and the open door hit on the outside corner both bending and twisting the door.

Gawd I felt stupid...

Good luck with yours

We've all done similar things... Good news is that you'll only do that ONCE!

I had this same problem last year and ended up replacing the door. FWC wanted $450 for a new door while ATC was asking $325. There may be some lead time involved because I think they order them in batches. Measure your frame and specify left or right opening.

To me, the #1 benefit of the deadbolt isn't the additional security, but that it prevents the door from accidentally opening. On more than one occasion, my door didn't latch properly and opened while driving. Nothing fell out and there was no damage, but I learned to never trust the door latch and to always use the deadbolt to be sure the door can't open. If you don't currently have a deadbolt, consider installing one on the new door.

Espresso said:
To me, the #1 benefit of the deadbolt isn't the additional security, but that it prevents the door from accidentally opening. On more than one occasion, my door didn't latch properly and opened while driving. Nothing fell out and there was no damage, but I learned to never trust the door latch and to always use the deadbolt to be sure the door can't open. If you don't currently have a deadbolt, consider installing one on the new door.
That's for sure! Lesson learned!

I'm one of those deadbolt only people. One thing that surprised me at the rally was seeing most doors opening right to left unlike mine.

[SIZE=medium]Had a old Fleet model that the door would always open. Then bought a Ranger model with a dead bolt and better door latch system.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Years ago went on a trip overseas and my gal was shooting images on slide film. Had three slide carousels of slides and after a showing I put everything in the back of the camper inside the door. Headed home and noticed the door swinging open. Stopped to close it and saw two slide carousels missing… crap! Made a u-turn headed back and found them sitting in the road where we pulled out of a side street. Just lucky nobody ran them over or took them, being the original slide and most not replaceable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Your door is easy to replace, unscrew all the screws around the frame. The putty will have a hold on it. Pry it out and reinstall the new one. Adjust the strike plates and watch for door drag on the bottom.[/SIZE]

Well I called FWC and they said $350-$475 depending on what I get. That's an expensive mistake. Good thing I got a good deal on the camper in the first place because it's sure easy to spend the $$$ on upgrades and accident repairs. I was told a few months wait so I guess I'll to a home repair to get me through the summer.

Mongo, sorry to hear about the damage, but I'm glad to hear there's a solution (even though it's a $500 solution - it'll be like new soon). Hopefully you got any bad luck out of the way on your first trip and it'll be smooth from here on out.

I also had my door open while cruising down the road but I got lucky. A guy behind me ran up and knocked on my window at a stoplight (55 MPH area with a few lights, fortunately) and asked if I meant to have it open...

I'd check with the guys at All Terrain Campers too. Maybe they have better timing or price. Good luck with the repair.

Back
Top Bottom