Grandby Electrical Hookup

jmcrae

Just got a 2003 Grandby so this will be the first in a long line of dumb questions probably. :) how do you connect the electrical to the truck? I have a 03 f250. Here is the electrical in the bed...FWC wants around $400 to install, seems a bit steep.

Any help greatly appreciated.
J

Attachments

• tn (2).jpg
    tn (2).jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 206
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 180
FWC will sell you the wiring kit for $75. Really easy to install. One wire to positive with a circuit breaker inline, one wire to ground and one to a connection that completes when your lights are on.

More details, please. Are there running (clearance) lights on the camper? Is there a battery in the camper that you want to charge while driving? What is your skill and knowledge level with low voltage electrical? What are your long range goals (solar, etc.)?

The $400 for the install I believe is to wire, install tie downs in the bed, and install the camper. Just to wire the truck with the 3 prong plug FWC uses is $75 plus some labor ($140 I think is what I paid) . The camper is a simple system and if you want to use your existing RV plug you just need to bring the male end with you and install it on the camper. You can google up the schematic for the wiring of the plug and just match it up. Not difficult at all.

I don't think it's a big deal but Stan said me they perfer the "FWC way" as they know it's 100% reliable. He eluded that some folks may have had issues with using the RV plug in the past... but did say others have had no problems. Since I was at the factory to pick up my used camper, I just had them do it their way so there wouldn't be any problems. I'm still not sure what problems there would be since that RV plug is on (should be) it's own circuit and already isolated from the vehicle battery. If I was in your shoes, I'd use the RV plug. my 2 cents....

Riverrunner said:
The $400 for the install I believe is to wire, install tie downs in the bed, and install the camper. Just to wire the truck with the 3 prong plug FWC uses is $75 plus some labor ($140 I think is what I paid) . The camper is a simple system and if you want to use your existing RV plug you just need to bring the male end with you and install it on the camper. You can google up the schematic for the wiring of the plug and just match it up. Not difficult at all.

I don't think it's a big deal but Stan said me they perfer the "FWC way" as they know it's 100% reliable. He eluded that some folks may have had issues with using the RV plug in the past... but did say others have had no problems. Since I was at the factory to pick up my used camper, I just had them do it their way so there wouldn't be any problems. I'm still not sure what problems there would be since that RV plug is on (should be) it's own circuit and already isolated from the vehicle battery. If I was in your shoes, I'd use the RV plug. my 2 cents....
My truck was pre-wired with camper/5th wheel wiring and originally wanted them to use it. After disccusing the installation with FWC I let them do it the "FWC way" which is direct off the battery. They ran their wiring along the trucks wiring. I'm all about reliabilty and the 3-prong plug is their standard. It works.

Thanks for the input folks. If I want to eventually add solar and a 2-way refer. do you think having it wired directly to the battery is a better choice than the RV plug? Think I might just give FWC a call...

The 7 pin trailer connectors like that are OK, but not great (in my opinion).

The wiring is usually pretty wimpy on the 7 pin connectors.

We prefer to install a simple marine style trolling motor plug for plugging the camper into the truck bed.

That way we can use a 10 gauge, stranded, double insulated wire for good protection and a good recharge rate for the aux. camper battery.

The wiring connections are also sealed on the trolling motor plug for longer reliablity against corrosion or loose wires.

On the FWC camper wiring, remember that the older FWC's will have two wires coming out of the front of the camper, 1 white wire, 1 black wire.

WHITE = POSITIVE (+)

BLACK = NEGATIVE (-)

Don't forget to install some in-line fuses and a thermal breaker.

Attachments

• Attwood Camper Plug.jpg
    Attwood Camper Plug.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Attwood troling motor plug.jpg
    Attwood troling motor plug.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 233
  • atwood.JPG
    atwood.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Attwood Camper Plug 2.jpg
    Attwood Camper Plug 2.jpg