Grandby Gray Water Mod

Sherrif Grandby

Hey all,
The beaches in San Diego Ca area are a little fussy about gray water so I added a tank and a few plumbing parts to keep those camp host rascals off my back. I am a golf course superintendent and not a plumber so what you see is what you get. It has been in a year, works great, and no problems yet so we are pretty happy with it. You can order a gray water tank to exact specifications if you like but I am a little on the thrifty (cheap bastage) side so I used a tank originally for turf materials. I have plenty of them if you want to swing by and pick one up.

Plumbing drain lines are usually at least 1 1/4" but I used 3/4" hose to keep it simple. Since I used the 3/4" I did have to vent the tank with a small 1/4" (plastic tubing for ice maker etc) to the outside but I did it cleanly so it is not noticeable. I did put an anti siphon check valve in the line so no odor would enter camper. It cost about three bucks and most RV places stock them. Here is a link

http://www.dyersonline.com/utopia-vent-pro.html

Camper is on right now so I don't have a picture of drain pipe on outside but it looks clean. I sealed tank fittings with silicon and drain exit/entrance with "great stuff" from Home Depot. Attached are a few pictures. You can email if you have any questions. I am sure anyone can do it for about $100 or less with a free tank :)

Thanks again to everyone. I received some nice welcome messages and that is really neat. Now let's party!!!

Attachments

• Grey Mod 004.jpg
    Grey Mod 004.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 722
  • Grey Mod 005.jpg
    Grey Mod 005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Grey Mod 006.jpg
    Grey Mod 006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Grey Mod 011.jpg
    Grey Mod 011.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Grey Mod 008.jpg
    Grey Mod 008.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Grey Mod 007.jpg
    Grey Mod 007.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 279
The beaches in San Diego Ca area are a little fussy about gray water so I added a tank and a few plumbing parts to keep those camp host rascals off my back.

Nice work. I’ve got a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

I’ve never overnighted anywhere where grey water was a problem. When camped in a campground, truck stop, or other civilized places I have used a short section of hose connected to the FWC grey water drain and ran the end of the hose into a 4 gallon plastic bucket with a small hole cut into the bucket top. The bucket sits outside the camper in the open. When ready to move the next morning, I pack it up and find an appropriate drain to dump the water. Is this setup a no go on San Diego beaches?

When you are questioned about your grey water containment, do the authorities want to see how you have your tank set up, or do they just ask about it and you explain that your grey water is self contained?

Thanks!

Hi CJ,

Silver Strand is stricter than others and the bucket is a no go, they will not even allow ice chest water dumping. They are fussy there and I am not sure why. I was using tank pictured in the modification on the outside similar to your method and they nixed me. I was informed that even the blue portable waste tanks are unacceptable. We like the beach there so in the end no big deal.

The people at Carlsbad Beach are very easy going and friendly and don't ask much going in. It is up on the bluff though and can get a little warm at times. We haven't been to other campgrounds in that area so will let you know as we go. I have a feeling a bucket gets you by in 90% of the situations unless a park ranger happens by. Thanks for question. I am betting more people know more about this subject than I do.

Sherrif, Thanks for the description and the pictures. I guess it's me but I'm having difficulty looking at the pix and figuring out where I am inside the Grandby. Could I trouble you for a little sketch of the layout? As a Grandby owner and a person involved in the water conservation business, I would like to follow your lead. ~ Bob

Sherrif, Thanks for the description and the pictures. I guess it's me but I'm having difficulty looking at the pix and figuring out where I am inside the Grandby. Could I trouble you for a little sketch of the layout? As a Grandby owner and a person involved in the water conservation business, I would like to follow your lead. ~ Bob

Looks like the rear side of the area under the couch next to the closet in the back. Looks like he ran his drain line through the galley cabinets forward, across to the couch and then backwards to the tank.

Air admittance valve is really the best tool to use for drainage. Search AAV on google for the entire plumbing story for this application. The check valve serves the purpose but is not heavy duty. The trap that comes stock with FWC works fine for odor. Check valve allows quick drainage.

Back
Top Bottom