Grey water setup questions!

Cbessler

Advanced Member
Hey everyone! I have some grey water system questions that maybe you guys could help me out with. I have a 2014 front dinette fwc fleet camper. What are your guys setups and what did you do for your grey water drain system? Not building an entire external tank yet etc but those were sweet.

I have a quick connect garden hose to the outside with a 5 ft hose into a coapsable bag. So far it gets airlocked and an unlucky soul has to go outside and shake it to make the drain go down.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Here is a picture of the current setup

Attachments

• 20220501_191523.jpg
    20220501_191523.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 258
We use a 2-1/2 gal. bucket with a screw lid that has a 1" hole cut in the top that the hoes goes into. It allows the air to escape. We use the bucket as a utility bucket when not acting as a gray water tank. We carry it under our front dinette table held in place by a big twist tie to the table hardware. We stow the how inside of it.

Oh OK thanks for the info. For whatever reason mine is airlocking in a similar setup. Have air able to pass through the collapsable bags top opening. Granted it's not full and the hose doesn't extend into the water fully inside

camper rich said:
We use a 2-1/2 gal. bucket with a screw lid that has a 1" hole cut in the top that the hoes goes into. It allows the air to escape. We use the bucket as a utility bucket when not acting as a gray water tank. We carry it under our front dinette table held in place by a big twist tie to the table hardware. We stow the how inside of it.
+1. Although, we use a 5 gal Homer bucket and a washing machine fill hose with a right angle end. I do carry a second longer hose for the case where we have to use many leveling blocks & the usual hose isn’t long enough to reach the bucket. Have only needed it twice. Once before I bought it and once after that. :)

Paul

Cbessler -We have pretty much the same system as you. Looks like our bag is a different brand. Believe it's Coughlan's. I modified the connection by attaching a female garden hose connector. It's not air tight, so don't get air locks. We do have to be conscious of how it's situated to ensure good flow.

I put one of these on the outlet with one end pointing up and the other down where I connect the hose.

58381-W3.jpg

HappyCampers said:
Cbessler -We have pretty much the same system as you. Looks like our bag is a different brand. Believe it's Coughlan's. I modified the connection by attaching a female garden hose connector. It's not air tight, so don't get air locks. We do have to be conscious of how it's situated to ensure good flow.
Very similar. Collapsible translucent 5 gal bag, 6 foot garden hose (works much better than the OEM hose) and no seal into the bag. Rarely have a problem with flow, but sometimes I have to wiggle it a bit and make sure the hose end is not jammed against the bottom or sides of the bag.

You can zoom in and see our setup here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/awg_pics/51997686258/in/dateposted-public/

In our Hawk Shell build, we utilize a $29 "dry sack" in the oddly shaped turnbuckle area to collect several days of grey water, then open a simple drain valve at the back end of the bed to drain when in an appropriate area like a pull out that is not regularly camped in. We like it because we don't have to deploy it outside the camper each time we camp and can't direct discharge.

The key to avoiding air-lock is an air vent which in our setup, also serves as an overflow port as it daylights outside the truck bed side rail. We just posted a video on it:

https://sites.google.com/view/sagebrushers/four-wheel-camper-mods/grey-water-system

Looks like the main issue I'm dealing with is venting the sink appropriately. These are two options I've found online so far

Attachments

• drainmodpieces (1).jpg
    drainmodpieces (1).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180313_201939101_iOS.jpg
    20180313_201939101_iOS.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 102
Gee whiz, I must be from another century because all I ever use is my old trusty hunk of garden hose and a empty gallon bleach bottle and if I need it, any nearby rock to set it on. Sometimes it freezes up or overflows but the this set up has served me well for many a year. Ya just have to be careful when you connect the hose up to the discharge pipe so that you don't push it back inside the camper-but hey,that's just another part of WTW. Have another one inside the pop-up to use for night water and just have to remember which bottle goes with the hose when I set up camp :rolleyes:! I have a 2005 Grandby.

Smoke

Awesome smoke. Yeah just something I noticed granted it was with a longer hose. There's some good info on rv forums as long as the vent is higher than the sink it won't back up as much

Yeah I've seen your system. So awesome. Wanna do that for the next trip

Spitfire said:
I put one of these on the outlet with one end pointing up and the other down where I connect the hose.

58381-W3.jpg
Love it. Gonna hit Home Depot up tomorrow.

I use a 5 gallon Homer bucket and sometimes it does get the "air lock".

For those of you using a 5 gallon bucket, drop a large rock in the bucket so it doesn't blow away when empty.

I ended up building this vent drain system I had found. Works really well! Still takes a few seconds to drain fully but not a problem. The high point on the vent is about higher than the sink allowing it to drain more freely. It's not big and easily thrown on the back seat floor

Attachments

• 20220503_175859.jpg
    20220503_175859.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 133
That looks super good! Which model do you have and is that a flexible corrugated hose you're using?

I'm glad to see no one just spills the water under their truck. But I know folks *do* that sometimes. If that's any of you, are you worried about critters and things become interested in the gray water residue right there, next to your camper? Just curious.

Cbessler said:
That looks super good! Which model do you have and is that a flexible corrugated hose you're using?
Yes, standard RV sink drain hose, same as the factory. And the camper is a FWC grandby for 8ft bed

Back
Top Bottom