Greywater Storage

Alaskan Snowbirds

I guess most folks are using a bucket for their “greywater” collection/storage and probably won’t have much interest in this unless it’s as an extra/spare but thought I’d post it up anyway in case anyone else likes the collapsible idea.

When we picked up the camper from FWC last December we got the “Go Anywhere” starter kit with it. One of the things that came with that was a greywater bag like this one:

picture.php

We liked the collapsible idea but the lid/handle didn’t work well and the bag cracked after a couple weeks and was a duct-tape bag after a month. We bought another one at an RV supply in Yuma and didn’t fold it or carry it by the “handle”.

These are the prototype replacements:

picture.php

I just cut the shower tube short, put a little adhesive on the barbs of the female hose connectors from the Yuma bag and slipped them in.

Then added an in-line shutoff:

picture.php

I tested by hooking the bag over a hose holder bracket and hooking up the garden hose and filling to the red “spout”.

All tested well except the in-line shutoff leaked at low pressure (did fine with full hose pressure on it) and the bag hung a little funny.

The Sun Shower brand bag had a full width handle insert but the Coleman only had about a 6” insert, so I replaced that with a full length insert made from ½” PVC that should help it hang better:

picture.php

I’ll replace the in-line shutoff with a higher quality one and we should be good to go. We’ll either lay them flat or roll them when not in use.

I could probably put together another one in 5 minutes or less if I had everything at hand.

We’re curious to see how they work.

Happy Trails!
‘birds

EDIT: I didn't check reviews on the Coleman solar shower before I put these together. Several reviewers said it splits at the seam when warm and full. Sounds like 3 gallons or so works O.K.

Note: For what it’s worth (maybe nothing)…AZ apparently allows greywater dumping without treatment but the catch is that water with particulates (like from a KITCHEN sink) is considered blackwater and regulated.

Back
Top Bottom