Has anyone moved from a slide-in to a Project M?

Stringer

I bought a Hawk this past year. So far I've absolutely loved it. No complaints.

However, I have found that there are moments when I really miss the utility of my truck bed (and my tailgate, funny enough).

I am a fairly spartan, no-frills camper, who doesn't need much in the way of interior comforts, and who typically just throws tubs of gear into the truck and hits the road.

So my mind has started drifting towards the Project M.

Has anyone moved to a PM after having had a slide-in camper? I'd be curious to hear some of the pros and cons.

I am a little leery of the PM, simply because it's a newer model. I know initially there were some design issues that were being worked out. I hate to sell something like a Hawk, which is so time-tested, to get a newer model that maybe hasn't had all its kinks worked out.

One of my favorite aspects of FWCs is their reputation for reliability and ruggedness. Does anyone know if the PMs are expected to be similarly tough, with similar expectations for longevity? I know FWC isn't building them to have them fall apart in two years, but I am not familiar enough with pop-up shells to know how durable they typically are.

So anyway, just wanted to see if there's anyone out there who could chime in with reasons to stick with the Hawk, or reasons to switch to a Project M. Thanks for any insight!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
You might also look at the Super Pacific wedge canopy. I like what they’ve done.
Those look really cool. I'm surprised I've never heard of them. Look very similar to the Go Fast Campers.

I'm still not sure how I feel about wedge-style campers. I'd love to get in one to get a better idea for how much space is available. Definitely open to them, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just think that if you are a no frills camper and the FWC is more than you need, why not just go for a roof top camper? Probably $10k cheaper? The project M just seems way too expensive for what it is in my opinion..

If you don't mind dust and water intrusion you'll probably be happy with the M. If those things bug you, you probably want to stay away from topper style campers. Seems to be an issue with all of them since truck tailgates are not meant to be weather tight.

BBZ said:
I just think that if you are a no frills camper and the FWC is more than you need, why not just go for a roof top camper? Probably $10k cheaper? The project M just seems way too expensive for what it is in my opinion..
I've considered them, and they're certainly tempting at those lower prices, but I really like the ability to stand up inside the camper. I'd like to have more interior living space than is afforded by a pure rooftop tent.

korslite said:
If you don't mind dust and water intrusion you'll probably be happy with the M. If those things bug you, you probably want to stay away from topper style campers. Seems to be an issue with all of them since truck tailgates are not meant to be weather tight.
Funny enough, I sort of consider those to be pluses rather than minuses. I like the idea that I could load a dirty mountain bike or a wet pair of skis into the bed of the truck without worrying about harming the interior. Being dust-free in my Hawk is wonderful - but I'm not intimidated by the intrusion of some of the outdoor elements. Having said that, I do want to remain bug-free. I love the screens on my windows in my Hawk. I would only consider switching to a Project M if I could have screened windows.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
You might want to check out Overland Campers (campovrland.com) out of Flagstaff as another source. I like the option of barn doors rather than the tailgate.
These look great also. Thanks for the rec. I'll be driving through Flagstaff next week, and would love to see some in person. Will definitely check them out!

I think the Project M is a good concept, but the ability to have an easy opening/quick closing screen door is a deal breaker for me. If you’ve ever been attacked by mosquitos or mobbed by midges you know the importance of getting that door shut quick. That’s why I love my Hawk Shell.

Oryguntroutbum said:
I think the Project M is a good concept, but the ability to have an easy opening/quick closing screen door is a deal breaker for me. If you’ve ever been attacked by mosquitos or mobbed by midges you know the importance of getting that door shut quick. That’s why I love my Hawk Shell.
I think the Project M builds can be customized in a lot of different ways, including sliding screen windows. I was at the FWC open house last weekend and saw a PM with a screen. I had the same concern as you. I would never be able to use anything that didn't have a bug screen.

Stray Dog said:
Truck Camper currently has posted an article evaluating what they say are the 10 best units of this type. Check it out:

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/10-best-truck-topper-camper-shells-for-2023/
Nice! Thank you - will go check this out now.

Seems like one could do a “add-a-room” concept off the back of the camper made largely from no-see-um screen with a water shedding roof to have the benefit of additional bug free outdoor living space plus control the mad rush to avoid the blood sucker & blood lapper flying hexapods while entering one’s sleeping quarters.

Something like this in concept: https://intech.com/rv/models/flyer/pursue/

Paul

PaulT said:
Seems like one could do a “add-a-room” concept off the back of the camper made largely from no-see-um screen with a water shedding roof to have the benefit of additional bug free outdoor living space plus control the mad rush to avoid the blood sucker & blood lapper flying hexapods while entering one’s sleeping quarters.

Paul
That’s a good option. In fact I just bought a screen room/solid wall room for my awning. Just have to keep from getting eaten alive while it’s being set up. I personally like having the regular door with screen for those late stops when you just want to pop the top and sleep.

We move from an old Eagle to a PM on our Tacoma. The Eagle was getting old, didn't have much room for storage and was get beat up stuffing if with gear etc for our adventures. Selling it paid for half of the PM.

The PM is purely a shell. Compared to the slide in you have to bring or add things like a power source, stove, refrigerator and heat. I always joke that they dont call it "Project" M for nothing. I enjoy the customizing but always underestimate how much time is required to build things. A screen door is on my list but I we've been lucky to not have many bugs on most trips.

Best part is you can use the truck bed for truck stuff. With a slide in you have cabinetry and upholstery, etc that is very nice but dosent leave much room for extra gear, etc.

I did look at other models from ATC, etc but what sealed the deal was lead times. Being not far from the Woodland, Ca factory we had "only" an 8 month wait which was way better that everyone else. Also FWC has been around for more than a while and we took comfort that it would be a worth investment.

PaulT said:

Paul
Nice. I bought one of these for the back of my 4runner and cargo trailer. It fits the 4runner well, but doesn't do great with the cargo trailer, which is where I was really hoping to use it most. It's tough to slip the bug screen over and around the trailer's door to get a good seal and protection from bugs.

https://sjkgear.com/roadhouse-screen-tarp/

Tahoems said:
We move from an old Eagle to a PM on our Tacoma. The Eagle was getting old, didn't have much room for storage and was get beat up stuffing if with gear etc for our adventures. Selling it paid for half of the PM.

The PM is purely a shell. Compared to the slide in you have to bring or add things like a power source, stove, refrigerator and heat. I always joke that they dont call it "Project" M for nothing. I enjoy the customizing but always underestimate how much time is required to build things. A screen door is on my list but I we've been lucky to not have many bugs on most trips.

Best part is you can use the truck bed for truck stuff. With a slide in you have cabinetry and upholstery, etc that is very nice but dosent leave much room for extra gear, etc.

I did look at other models from ATC, etc but what sealed the deal was lead times. Being not far from the Woodland, Ca factory we had "only" an 8 month wait which was way better that everyone else. Also FWC has been around for more than a while and we took comfort that it would be a worth investment.
Good info, thanks. I had a chance to walk around in a PM at the Woodland location recently. I love the openness of the interior. Losing the cabinetry and upholstery seems like a win, at least for my use. The one thing I wasn't able to check out was how much interior height there is while the top is down. I do a lot of stealth camping on road trips, and I'd like to be able to sleep and sit in a camping chair with the top down. I have to hunch over in my Hawk while sitting on the couch. I'd like to see if it would be the same in the PM with a low-profile camping chair, or if I'd have more room to sit up straight.

What sparked my interest in the PM was an episode recently when I needed to move a mountain bike, and couldn't, because I physically could not fit it inside my Hawk. Having a PM would have made that task easy.

I just got a project M. Had a van and an A-Frame frailer previously. I can report that the project M has window screens all around and I've seen people put one of those magnetic insect screen curtains inside of the tailgate to keep bugs out. On my camping trips this winter it certainly wasn't an issue, but that's also due to the season.
I put in a bed rug and weather stripping and that seems to keep the dust out ok so far.
I do like how much space and headroom I have compared to my old conversion van before.
Even with the top down I can sit in a camping chair in the bed no problem.
I like how I can still use the truck for hauling things and bringing a bulky BBQ, mountain bikes, SUP, etc. Can't wait for spring!

Andy_Fencer said:
I just got a project M. Had a van and an A-Frame frailer previously. I can report that the project M has window screens all around and I've seen people put one of those magnetic insect screen curtains inside of the tailgate to keep bugs out. On my camping trips this winter it certainly wasn't an issue, but that's also due to the season.
I put in a bed rug and weather stripping and that seems to keep the dust out ok so far.
I do like how much space and headroom I have compared to my old conversion van before.
Even with the top down I can sit in a camping chair in the bed no problem.
I like how I can still use the truck for hauling things and bringing a bulky BBQ, mountain bikes, SUP, etc. Can't wait for spring!
That's great to hear! Sounds like an awesome rig.

How was your experience with a van? Specifically compared to the Project M? That's another option I've considered. Was your van a high or low top? I like the idea of a pass-through, plus not having to pop a top up and down would be a welcome change. However, I have no experience with them. Would love to hear how they stack up to FWCs. Thanks!

Stringer said:
That's great to hear! Sounds like an awesome rig.

How was your experience with a van? Specifically compared to the Project M? That's another option I've considered. Was your van a high or low top? I like the idea of a pass-through, plus not having to pop a top up and down would be a welcome change. However, I have no experience with them. Would love to hear how they stack up to FWCs. Thanks!
My van was a 1999 Chevy Express 5.8L V8 Conversion van. The inside is pretty, like a yacht, with a high fiberglas top, spacious and flexible configuration but more made for mini van like activities. You can put the rear bench down and take the two middle chairs out. I did not add any camping mods to it, but it was good enough to go on a week long trip to Burning Man and other camping trips where there is some camp ground infrastructure. Gas mileage is not great and repairs were becoming more and more of an issue, so I'm happier with my new rig.

Back
Top Bottom