Has anyone shortened their lower door to open all the way?

verynice

As I've been giving my new (to me) 94' CO some much needed maintenance and upgrades I've been trying to figure out why the lower door is not designed to open all the way? If it were only 2" shorter it would not be in the way every time I climb in and out, so, I was thinking :unsure: I might re-do it so it opens all the way to be out of the way by cutting some off the bottom and re-mounting it. Have any of you guys done this?

As I've been giving my new (to me) 94' CO some much needed maintenance and upgrades I've been trying to figure out why the lower door is not designed to open all the way? If it were only 2" shorter it would not be in the way every time I climb in and out, so, I was thinking :unsure: I might re-do it so it opens all the way to be out of the way by cutting some off the bottom and re-mounting it. Have any of you guys done this?

I haven't opened my door for a little while. But I'm having a hard time picturing what you want to do. Can you post a picture? Biggest issue I have with door is it's a bit on a narrow side.

I would like the bottom door to open as far as the top door so that it is all the way against the right rear of the camper like the top one. Or...find a good way to keep it from closing all the time. I guess you could use a bungee cord to keep it open but I try not to "rig" anything :)

Attachments

• DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 166
Hi my lower Door on my Alaskan NCO had a 6" door holder made of cast aluminum. It broke, now i use a bungee cord. They make the door holders in Stainless steel now, available from RV dealers. see picture. Cheers Banderswipe. :)Here Is the Link to this Catalogue,bare in mind this is out of Ontario Canada.
https://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/main?dealerId=2884

Attachments

• 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 192
Hi my lower Door on my Alaskan NCO had a 6" door holder made of cast aluminum. It broke, now i use a bungee cord. They make the door holders in Stainless steel now, available from RV dealers. see picture. Cheers Banderswipe. :)

Do you have a link to this catalog? I'm sure others would like to download it as well.

Mike

is that a good source for vintage style cabinet latches and lights? if not, it must have some good do-dads.

wes

I would like the bottom door to open as far as the top door so that it is all the way against the right rear of the camper like the top one. Or...find a good way to keep it from closing all the time. I guess you could use a bungee cord to keep it open but I try not to "rig" anything :)

I like elegant, but sometimes simple is the best. I put a small hook on the bottom of the door with a permanent (mostly) bungee cord that I hook to the valve for the water tank drain when I want the door to stay open. Not elegant, but works easy, easy to replace. Only issue is need to go down steps to release door when time to close up.

Hi Mike, here is the link to this catalogue, this dealer is in southern Ontario Canada. I think all RV dealers throughout North America carry similar online catalogues. :)
Cheers, Banderswipe.
https://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/main?dealerId=2884

is that a good source for vintage style cabinet latches and lights? if not, it must have some good do-dads.

wes

Hi Wes, This catalogue does not carry any vintage do-dads but it has a wealth of new and modern do-dads sorry for not replying earlier. :(
Cheers, Banderswipe.

OKAY back to the original question. I too, would like to see such a modification. The door setup is a hassle, I'm sure there are good design reasons for it. However, before I got my Alaskan, I assumed you raised it and the two doors somehow interconnected and you had a nice, albeit narrow single door that opened all the way.
Has anyone shortened the top of the bottom of "dutch door"(or the bottom of the top) so they can work as one door/open all the way, because that would be "rad".
I reckon the con is that if you left them connected as "it lowers" you would have a crushing experience.
Not only that but youd probably need a gap for flex.

Back
Top Bottom