Hatchet?

+1 for Estwing. Best bang-for-your-buck hatchet you can buy, and will last a lifetime, or two.
and +1 for Council Tools! Quality stuff all made in the USA.

There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone.

12valve said:
<Snip> I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone.
Now that makes great sense! I may do the same.

12valve said:
There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone.
i kind of like being that guy, drinking the beer, and pointing out that i recommended taking a different route !!!

I don’t have much use for a hatchet while camping. Chopping wood isn’t high on my list of things to do when I’m in the woods - I get enough of that feeding the wood burning stove at my house. Also, I don’t ever want to be the guy who’s campfire got away from him. Still, to each his own.
While backwoods traveling, the need to cut wood almost always arises from a fallen tree or large branch blocking my way. For this I carry a pruning saw with an 18” or so blade. Fiskars or Corona work well. They cut both ways, and unlike a bow saw, you’re not limited to cutting only the width from the blade to the handle. Fast, way less work than chopping, and they store compact.
As to shovels, I carry a long handled spade. Short handled folding shovels are unnecessary extra work, especially if you find yourself digging deep snow or lots of dirt to get unstuck. If I have to reach under my truck chassis to dig, I sure don’t want to be groveling on my knees to reach.

Back
Top Bottom