Hawk on a Ram 1500

I'm not offended in the least, the above were only my opinions and how the manufacturer sets the GVWR for vehicles. In general I do not trust dealerships or anyone who is trying to sell me something. Sales people seem to always want to sell you what they have, not what you want/need. always research weights and specifications to ensure you purchase what you believe is the correct equipment to do the job.

I think what i was trying to say, not that I'm always clear:
The rating of any vehicle is a combination of factory options of that vehicle. Which is listed on the door or glove box usually, if you purchase/install aftermarket equipment it does not increase your rating it can only reduce your rating or equal the factory rating.

If I'm wrong, I'm all ears so I can learn something new....

These discussions about trucks always yield a plethora of opinions about size, weight, brand, configuration, tires, etc... It's funny to me all this discussion about using a 1 ton truck for a FWC, since I've had my Hawk loaded onto the 1/2 ton Tundra year-round since it was new and I've had zero issues with weight.

I mean come on folks, it's not like we're talking about a 10' Lance or Arctic Fox with 2 slides on it weighing in at 6000lbs.

This gets me curious if folks on the F350 or Ram 3500 forums are talking about the same things with their big slide-type campers (which I might add are extremely overloaded in that class too, as they continuously sway top-heavy traveling down our highways). I think I'll just continue enjoying the pleasures of my 1200lb camper loaded on my 1/2 ton pickup. It gets me where I need to go and it fits in the garage with the camper loaded. For those reasons I'm really happy!!

I do enjoy reading the opinions of others though. I keep telling myself "it's not wrong, just different..."

Bottom line get the 1/2 ton truck you want. The vast majority of Hawks that FWC sells go in a 1/2 ton truck or smaller truck. I have almost every option on a Hawk and it works great with a Ford F150. Before that I had an Eagle on a Tacoma and that worked fine. Don't buy into all the almost hysterical 3/4 ton owners who tell you, you need exactly what they have.

Pay attention to the manufacture payload specs the vary from 1000 to 2100 lbs depending on model and manufacture. My brother had a tundra max is 1600lbs I had a Chevy max 1950lbs, dad has f150 that would be 1900 but his 22" wheels drop that to under 1500. My brother wants to trade his tundra for a dodge but rams payload is just pathetic on their higher end trucks...... I just upgraded to a gmc duramax 2500hd. It's awesome, gets 12-15mpg with the camper AND a boat! But to each his own. The 2500 inspires absolute confidence but the 1500 will do fine as long as you get the right options for decent payload. Get a "max tow" option or similar to get the higher payload rating. Get close to 2000lbs (GM or ford) and you'll be good

Back
Top Bottom