hawk on tundra limited

dennis 221

so I have 2019HAWK on my 2019tundra an hawk is about 2-3 inches narrower than my bed! would it be ok to place a water proof board 1/1/2 inch board the length of wheel well on camper on both sides to keep it from sliding over to one side???? seems like an idea but would love your INPUT!!! thanks

I have a 2009 Bobcat on a 1st gen Tundra so the base is narrower since it
was made for a Ford Ranger.

I have added a block of wood to each side at the front of the camper
where it is over the bed rails.

It fits snug between the camper and the inside of the bed.Works great .
The camper doesn't move side to side.

Frank

This is interesting. I just bought a 2018 Hawk for my 2017 Tundra. It’s sitting on sawhorses next to my house until I get eyebolts put in. Your post made me go measure. Camper is 48” wide at base, I measured 49” between wheel wells in my Tundra. I also need to build base up a little, the 2018 Hawk is 21 3/4” deep and my bed is 22 3/4”

oceanminded said:
This is interesting. I just bought a 2018 Hawk for my 2017 Tundra. It’s sitting on sawhorses next to my house until I get eyebolts put in. Your post made me go measure. Camper is 48” wide at base, I measured 49” between wheel wells in my Tundra. I also need to build base up a little, the 2018 Hawk is 21 3/4” deep and my bed is 22 3/4”
I put a horse stall mat in the bed of our Tundra, which is recommended by four wheel campers. It is just the right build up for ours and provides a bit of cushion and insulation as well.

I too, have a 2019 Tundra (TRD Sport 4x4) and a Hawk (shell), and it is a much tighter fit than you are describing, but I suppose it depends on where you measure!
There is indeed, plenty of space between the camper and the truck bed behind each of the turnbuckle doors, but we use that for dirty storage:
1. an extension cord
2. 1 lb propane bottles we use for the stove sometimes; they're wrapped in a canvas back to avoid unnecessary metal on bed-liner
3. um, pee-bottle and poop container jar...sorry, but yeah, everybody poops and when we don't do it outside, we at least store it in a sealed container (and homemade wag bags!) until proper disposal).

Thanks to the shape of the camper, none of these things can slide out. In very dirty environments, these areas get dusty, but not as much as I might have expected. None is big enough to get in the way of regular turn-buckle checks.

Lastly, I'd be interested to hear about others experience with the camper *moving* as the OP expressed concerned. We were on very rough roads for miles and miles and while I regularly check the turnbuckles, they don't need much tightening. When I took the camper off in November I did see that the front rail had worn the LineX bed-liner, and this isn't great, but it sure isn't moving much either way!

I like the horsemat idea, but they're remarkably heavy! Weight is technically, quite limited on the Tundra (even if nobody seems to care about being a bit over GVWR...)

Back
Top Bottom