Hawk or granby

My take: never leave tailgate on and try for no rear overhang. Hawk has all the amenities (sleeping, seating, cooking , heating, frig, etc) of the Grandby just short of some floor space. If you really need floor space a Fourwheel camper is not a good choice even if a Grandby.

Honestly, I'm sure you're fine. Your F-250 will handle the weight and shift in CG just fine. If it is a CC or Diesel, you'll still be balanced forward quite a bit anyway.

fuzzymarindave said:
My take: never leave tailgate on and try for no rear overhang. Hawk has all the amenities (sleeping, seating, cooking , heating, frig, etc) of the Grandby just short of some floor space. If you really need floor space a Fourwheel camper is not a good choice even if a Grandby.
Hi fuzzymarindave
Been trying to understand your post, could you please elaborate a bit for me. I see more than than just a few square feet of floor space, with the grandby over a hawk.

Thanks Russ

I read once that one # behind the rear axle is equivalent to three #'s in front of it. So one more vote to stay with the Hawk on a short bed truck since the extra length of the Grandby will be 100% behind the rear axle!

To put some numbers to it, near as I can figure, the F250 short box CA (cab to rear axle) is 40", the rear overhang (axle to end bumper) is 52", the Granby cog is ~ 43" (varies with layout and packing) and the lower body length is ~97".

Assuming the cab to front of box is ~3", the cog would be ~6" aft of axle and the Granby would extend ~8" past the bumper.

The short box superdutys have a pretty good length, ~6'10" so camper should be a bit more in the box than in CM's great pics, post #17.

My own first preference would be 8' box for a 8' camper but as I posted, I think I'd be okay with the set up above. As for counsel, there's so many over length or overweight rigs around I'm not even going there.

Major Con I see with the Granby is lack of rear bumper. It would be a real shame to damage the tailgate and maybe the camper door. They'll be work around tho.

Hi All

As an historical side note to this discussion, GMC used to make an 8-6" rear bed...cannot remember the badge on these trucks....but mostly in the late sixties vintage.

I don't think Chevy did this but only GMC.

David Graves

CougarCouple said:
Hi fuzzymarindave
Been trying to understand your post, could you please elaborate a bit for me. I see more than than just a few square feet of floor space, with the grandby over a hawk.

Thanks Russ
Actually on the flatbed model the ONLY difference between the Hawk and the Grandby is about a 20" wider dinette. (and of course more storage under the benches too.) We changed from the Hawk flatbed to the Grandby to have a place for the both of us to sleep when we do 'stealth camping'. (Hasn't happened yet!)

DavidGraves said:
Hi All

As an historical side note to this discussion, GMC used to make an 8-6" rear bed...cannot remember the badge on these trucks....but mostly in the late sixties vintage.

I don't think Chevy did this but only GMC.

David Graves
Chevrolet was called the Longhorn GMC was called the Custom Camper

klahanie said:
Major Con I see with the Granby is lack of rear bumper. It would be a real shame to damage the tailgate and maybe the camper door. They'll be work around tho.
That was and is my biggest concern with the Grandby on a 6.5 bed.

Most times, I pull a trailer with an extended tongue on the trailer. When no trailer, I purchased a solid, 18" ball mount extension. Its about as heavy as an anchor on a battleship and just as stout.

Back
Top Bottom