Hawk Propane Servicing

Crankstermoe

I just purchased a 2003 Hawk and need advise on servicing the propane tank. My tank appears to have been plumbed/modified into it's current configuration. I'm not sure why this would have been done or how it operates. Can anyone identify and tell me what I have and what I need to do to service this system? Do I need to reconfigure it? I am unable to remove the tank from the storage location to service. Thank you.
0-JeeXPRn8j2K1ucukf33IscrbttzQBLkBmN3S9L6dIgXaMxCPkiqvJnyG0OclRK9BZzssxFiqhdd815nJrg4EdaJ7rK2SBgv5rEdGHRB-mO5jMn1Z5kcmKxDDAdlfGdO1D6hj4XFQzPVDsdB8_vmEI2APz0kYO0nFEmiebDzBZ1VcbU_FxITnnUxUXf2jAIyFu47x3rNJDxhzdRXmX7B7g7GKLF7eMUJTAEU5KxbYw0QsxCXyOoxSuZKUJpPr_4qABkK9ZT2lheC4RspdD7nXVyDX0Ylylf0wwynmY5WtMDM13Ti7YImZefLStM4NzAZ0oO8vVb-R7mSwYybBE1KzaY57yZFLzxyxkfErf2KFtd_lmrElRJkjYPF7EQepm8888KTBnWkUJLWYPCsbcDHPIslfwcr8HPdyPv2rXyerODFjmnwnokDUTD8FZEpJX3CR_ccD79yNt5eDEaK4c9rCfpI5CYtzKooplNBDrukWBYhnrjhdC8XCK9SA5g6rY_2CaWEbad6pEpS1P0C6HDpixs8Dxs5nohcvZZRIZS2UAdlzwzGF1SQmtYD9_X7bgtWLHZscA7BcseyP3iSvyPLOqkvj6fEIttNnP4h0kTISQqAOgGB5kcQzJbh3sKNrw-hdEZsi5GyU9eHjxA1598OC3iJ5XqwpkwTFvUPYSlUmkArnOtbBj4AesV7JyBX_WLaKXUoC1bdvYNTlXShTFvw7b_-QlNGCKHhDoDK8LIjTpchOg=w551-h734-no

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but I'm guessing that you should be able to 1) turn off gas from the propane tank with the valve and then 2) unscrew all of the plumbing contraption at the collar up near the valve stem. In your picture, the brass piece hidden behind the white upright.

We just bought an 05 Eagle that has a similar looking horizontal tank, but not all the extra plumbing that you have shown.

I'm guessing the old regulator went bad and the owner went the cheap DIY route. Pretty rough job but looks like he put in an extra tap so he could access propane for a lantern or outside stove. Like Montana wrote, turn off and disassemble, redo to your liking. You can buy a flex line to run between the regulator and tank from a propane refill/supplier store. Use sealant (for gas installations) on all connections and test with soapy water when finished. If your not up to your own repair get a pro to do it, a bad refit can kill you.

1 more thing, whoever did this used an older tank connector that screws into into the female threads on the tank valve rather than using a newer style that threads on the outside male threads, When you unscrew it, it will have reverse threads.

Hello Crankstermoe
You can get a length of hose made with the fittings needed at a hose shop. Contact a local propane delivery/service provider in your area first to get started with a competent knowledgeable company. Our regulator is mounted in the rear of the bottle storage area, with a flexible hose to the bottle. You could also try calling FWC. Looking at what you have my guess was someone wanted to access the propane outside of the camper as suggest in a previous post.

Russ

You guys are awesome! Thank you all for the responses. Yes, reverse threads and the contraption came off and I was able to take the tank out. I will look into getting a simple hose from the regulator to the shutoff valve as that seems a lot less complicated and problematic. :thumb:

Looks exactly like mine (except mine has a better angle). Think twice about removing the other propane fitting. I use mine all the time.

Hi Craig, Thanks for the response. What are you using it for? Outdoor stove? I'm new to this and learning.

Back
Top Bottom