Hawk Side Dinette interior storage w/pictures

Flyfisher

gallery_4027_1542_123198.jpg

gallery_4027_1542_2204082.jpg

I'm always looking for more storage in my Hawk. I found these drawers at "The Container Store". Screwed them to the aluminum frame to secure them. Used drawer stops to keep the drawers closed. Thanks to Wandering Sagebrush for helping me to post the photos.

Like it very much. Do not know why I never thought of this idea.

Looks good. I've come close to having 8020.net build me a set of drawers to secure to my counter top and a slide out drawer to replace the foot storage area of my front dinette.

I love the efficient use of the space, but just curious where you set your beer when you exit the camper. I find that little shelf the perfect spot. Love the extra storage you created tho!

Correction

Sorry, as I zoom in I see you still maintained your beer shelf! Nice work!

Looks great! Could you provide us some specifics about how you secured them? What type of screws and where were they placed? How did you locate the aluminum frame?

I've been looking for something like this but I'm terrified of drilling into the wall.

Thanks!

Dave - I can't find the bottom drawer on their web site, but here are the big ones.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-drawers/Plastic/Stackable/Grey/Black/like_it/like_it-smoke-stackable-drawers/12lfccod?p=0&ps=56&productId=10024854 They are both made by "like-it"
The bottom drawer is there to equal the height of the carpeted ledge. I went into the store with a tape measure and bought anything that looked like it would fit, took it out to the camper in parking lot and tried it out.
I found the aluminum frame by removing some screws holding the thin veneer that covers the inside of the camper. I was only able to peal it back at the top and peer into it from the top with a flashlight and a measuring tape and then make marks on the veneer with a pencil. To mount the drawers I had to: cut a little off the side curtain track, move the fire extinguisher (see photo for new location), and move the storage rack forward (two of the three were less than a 1/2 inch wrong).
I put one sheet metal screw into the wall in the back of each drawer and one screw into the side. On the side I used the screws that hold the back window in. All screws had fender washers on them. The top drawer is above the window so I put a piece of wood in between the back wall and the drawer (the thickness equaled the window standoff from the back wall) and then screwed through the wood into the back wall.

Blocks the back window? Good idea, we keep an open bin there but may consider your containers up to the window level...anything to lessen the 'inside a cave' lighting..

Thanks for the idea...

We have used a "file drawer"cabinet like that for years.
We keep items we need for cooking,ie caned foods,coffee.
Quick storage.

I got ours at Walmart in the office supply area.
Also use 2 one on each side of the AC cab area for clothes.
Frank

Field test update. Plastic drawer stops not strong enough - broke two of them. Will see if I can find some aluminum ones.
Second drawer from bottom hits screen door slider end cover when door is closed. Constructed it with door open - Duh! Going to try flatter slider or maybe Velcro attached screen.
I set up my screen door latch so that I can just bump the door and it opens - saves needing to move slider to open screen door from inside.

Found metal drawer stops. They work just fine. Found a flat screen slider and that works fine and allows drawer to open.

Back
Top Bottom