HAWK SOLAR CONNECTION

Bombsight said:
Not to change the subject but to confirm ... can the 160 watt on the 2016 FWC's be used along with the 80 watt (fold up) panel on the back at the same time?

Vic Harder said:
YES, if you are using a PWM controller. NO if you are using a MPPT controller.
An MPPT controller will work fine with different solar panels in parallel connection, provided they are the same "nominal" voltage (eg 12, 24, or 36 volt). As the panels may have different max power points, there will be some loss of power. MPPT controllers always deal with this, think about a house with shading, dirt, bird poop etc. Every panel is slightly different. With different panel voltages, it'll still work, but the higher voltage panel will be dragged down to the low panel voltage, throwing away plenty of available power.

Thanks for clarifying Wuck. The way I would say it is, if you have identical panels on two separate arrays, you are fine with one MPPT controller. Minor variations between panels due to aging, dust, shade are OK. By extension, panels with similar outputs are fine too.

In my case, I have two very different arrays on the roof vs my portables, so I had to get two controllers.

camelracer said:
I believe multiple panels can be used with an MPPT controller if they are similar voltage output. I run a 100w Renogy on the roof and a 100w Renogy flexible as a portable through a Morningstar MPPT controller with no problems. Both panels have an open circuit voltage in the 17v range.
Yes. If the panels are identical or nearly so, then you can indeed run multiple arrays into one MPPT controller. I was being a little black/white earlier when I said a flat out NO.

Back
Top Bottom