hawk window blow out

tree

got my hawk last wed. took her to the old neighborhood sat to show to a friend looking to get into campers. 1 city over. 7 mile drive. coming home me and the wife heard a noise, like a bowl of screws hitting the floor. which I did have back there because I was adding some features before my trip. got home, opened door to find that front window shattered. safety glass all over the floor. only thing I can think is going over railroad tracks? should be covered im sure. had to put plywood for my thanksgiving trip. since service is closed this week. I heard that the front wall is the wall that flexes the most?

gadzooks I have never heard of that... sorry to hear it happened ... I believe you will find FWC are wonderful to deal with. Hang in there and though caused by something else my back door window was broken and I did the plywood thing until replacement. Gotta keep on trucking.

The FWC folks will take care of you. This is certainly an anormality. Windows don't break out going over really really big bumps. Too bad it cannot be fixed prior to your first big trip. Best of luck and have a great trip.

ya, I have too much invested on this trip to stop now. LOL on a good note got inverter, lights, outlets, onboard charger, seats, curtains, solar all installed/hooked up prior to trip. this rig is ready. towing a 12 foot trailer with utv and firewood out to the desert. weather reports look good.

Wow. I have a 2015 Hawk, never heard of this. I have hit that window pretty hard (unintentionally) with the Dinette table and while hauling various items.

I did suffer a broken rear window on a jeep once - I lowered the hard top down incorrectly and hit the rear tire with it. It sounded like an explosion.

My guess in your case is a minor flaw in the glass or the installation - clearly not a design problem.

FWC will fix it right up.

cdbrow1 said:
Wow. I have a 2015 Hawk, never heard of this. I have hit that window pretty hard (unintentionally) with the Dinette table and while hauling various items.

I did suffer a broken rear window on a jeep once - I lowered the hard top down incorrectly and hit the rear tire with it. It sounded like an explosion.

My guess in your case is a minor flaw in the glass or the installation - clearly not a design problem.

FWC will fix it right up.
I did have a dinette table below it. but it was folded flat on the floor. I put in a request already with my local dealer. or should I contact fwc direct?

just got word. fwc sending down a new window next week. my dealer will install. now back to packing for trip.

Questions on broken window: Was it broken 'into' or 'out of' the Hawk? Was it a slider or solid window?

Sounds like the way you described it that the window broke inward; it it did, what could have struck the window from the outside? Cab of truck? Bed rail?

Check your turnbuckles to see if camper flexed forward or slid forward..front wall seems to be very ridgid and I doubt it flexes at all.

Phil

blew inward. solid, no slide. everybody I talked to says could of have a pinched corner from install. 3 piece window set. pinched in rubber.

Our window blew out going to Alaska in Aug. Don't know what caused it for sure, could have been a rock bounce off the trailer and hit it. I also had all the windows shut tight expecting rain and we had G'd out over some whoops in the road, it crossed my mind if the roof may have deflected down in the middle and produced air pressure spike?

Thankfully the plexi that protects the lower part of the screen door just covered the opening...

img_157592_0_8e52932db8eb8ab46ae096242997d9df.jpg

img_157592_2_e1e36569b4c0cb07cc0f6fbc55803a85.jpg

img_157592_4_4dd1266a3318fa86b8640b77bb6df8e4.jpg

Original discussion was about the front window in his Hawk...but this loss of the window in your door is indeed perplexing...you mentioned your trailer kicking rock forward and striking the door window...how is that possible? Could be, just never heard of that...it seems the window broke inward, since you mentioned trailer as a source, so rule out air pressure inside the Hawk regardless of roof tin canning....and the campers are not really air tight :D

Phil

No damage to screen door?

We think maybe the truck kicked up a rock that bounced off the front of the trailer and hit window. However most of the glass was gone indicating it maybe blew outward? Who knows...

DYNOBOB said:
We think maybe the truck kicked up a rock that bounced off the front of the trailer and hit window. However most of the glass was gone indicating it maybe blew outward? Who knows...

I drove the Al-Can back in the 90s. TONS of rocks. I was on my motorcycle and it still has some deep scars from that trip.

well the plywood got me through my trip. which is good, because it was 30 degrees thur night in the desert. im tempted to keep the plywood with me on future trips. if another window blows I don't want to freeze. LOL anyways the dealer emailed me that FWC sending out a replacement asap. Jason and steve at American rv are the best to deal with. I bugged those poor guys for 1 1/2 years before making my purchase. LOL

Back
Top Bottom