Heading Northeast, Labrador

Barko1

OK, I have a little trip plannning here and am open to any suggestions or ideas. I have a few required stops, the first being Thompson Falls, Montana, to drop off a foster dog (he doesn't know it yet). :unsure: From there, as the map shows, I am headed East, North of Lake Superior (someone here lives up there!) and then across Northern Ontario and Quebec (avoiding Montreal, etc.) and then NE along the St. Lawrence Seaway to Baie Comeau where I go North to catch the Trans Labrador Highway. Obviously that takes me across Labrador and back down to the Gulf of St. Lawrence where I catch the ferry to Newfoundland. I was in Newfoundland last year but didn't make the trip to Labrador or the Viking settlements on the Northern tip so back we go. I intend to spend a few days on the West coast of Newfounland, Gros Morne is very nice :) And then take the ferry back to Nova Scotia. From there I need to visit family in the Chicago area, may take the depicted Northern route or may stay South of the Great Lakes. After that just a shot across the plains and back to the desert. I won't have the luxury of Western public lands so I'll no doubt be in campgrounds most of the time. The Ontario campgrounds seemed expensive, the Newfoundland one were very laid back and pretty cheap. Never been that far North in Ontario or Quebec so that should be interesting. I really liked Newfoundland or I wouldn't be traveling so far again but I was planning a trip to Chicago so what's an extra 3500 miles :unsure:
Labrador-trip-map-M.jpg

I would suggest staying along the northern shore of Lake Superior for as far as possible. It is one of the most beautiful places, with varied terrain and lots of time along the water. Would it work for you to stay along the lake all the way to Sault Sainte Marie? Heading north like your route shows is nice, but you will see similar terrain in other areas of your travels.

You can find free camping in this part of the country, you just need to look in different places than you would out west.

When are you making this trip?

I'm thinking of staying close to the lake until Wawa and then head to Timmins. I came through Sault Ste Marie last year (and Georgian Bay a year or two before) and I'd probably have to retrace some of that, Ottawa, Montreal etc. Rte 113 and 167 will get me back to the Gulf of St L without the urban issues. I bet I'll see a few trees! I'm heading to Montana 7/18 and heading East from there 7/23. Not sure if I'll take US2 or I94 to Minnesota but I'll get to Duluth and follow the shore North. Furthest up that way I have been is Lutson, now that is some cold skiing!!! What I am looking forward to is the Labrador and NF coasts :) Where is the best camping along Kitchi gummi?

I would suggest staying along the northern shore of Lake Superior for as far as possible. It is one of the most beautiful places, with varied terrain and lots of time along the water. Would it work for you to stay along the lake all the way to Sault Sainte Marie? Heading north like your route shows is nice, but you will see similar terrain in other areas of your travels.

You can find free camping in this part of the country, you just need to look in different places than you would out west.

When are you making this trip?

I can show you some spots. :)

:D I'll just be passing through and not really knowing the how quick I'll get across the plains but Thanks! Since it is summer time I may make some reservations in Newfoundland campsites and for the ferry. I want to get over there but don't want to rush it. I'd prefer to travel in September but this time of year I'll see more whales!

Bark Man,
I can't wait to see the pix. I would love to do that trip!!!

Last year I drove to Newfoundland and across it and really liked the environment and people. Very different that the usual travels in the West. Wouldn't want to live there, they go to Ontario in the summer to get warm :LOL: Opens late, shuts down early, rains like crazy!

Barko, my friends say that the Newfies party in the campgrounds and camp (for free) in the gravel pits, Ask the locals where the nearest gravel pit is :LOL:

Barko, my friends say that the Newfies party in the campgrounds and camp (for free) in the gravel pits, Ask the locals where the nearest gravel pit is :LOL:

I guess on the trans lab highway the SOP is to just find a spur off the road and camp, only 1 Provincial Park in all of Lab! I've seen the gravel pits, but Newf itself has nice parks and they are all very nice, no grumpy neo nazi campground hosts! I have it all mapped out but my daughter's medical interventions may lead to a change of dates. Frankly I prefer after the tourist season, when the bugs have died down, and the campgrounds are near empty. Of course by then the icebergs have disappeared and the whales have gone somewhere else!

I guess on the trans lab highway the SOP is to just find a spur off the road and camp, only 1 Provincial Park in all of Lab! I've seen the gravel pits, but Newf itself has nice parks and they are all very nice, no grumpy neo nazi campground hosts! I have it all mapped out but my daughter's medical interventions may lead to a change of dates. Frankly I prefer after the tourist season, when the bugs have died down, and the campgrounds are near empty. Of course by then the icebergs have disappeared and the whales have gone somewhere else!

Barko you are two steps ahead of me in carrying out one of my dreams. I gather from my Canadian friends that once you get north of the big cities most of the land is owned by the "Crown" and free to camp on. But some is reserves for those who rightfully should own everything. Such land is off limits and the limitation lines are usually not very clear. So as best I can tell (and I have not tried this myself) you can boondock almost anywhere and the odds are in your favor. If you make it back I hope we will get a full report so others can try this with a bit more certainty of what they are getting into.

Not sure about the sausages but I will be in the vicinity in the video, planned on staying at Pistolet Bay but maybe I'll explore the options. Apparently there is quite a controvery about gravel pit camping, the Gov is working to outlaw and uproot what many see as a tradition and right. Part os the changes rapidly taking hold in NFL, visit before it is like everywhere else!

"
Pit Stop: "Gravel-Pit" Camping on The Rock -- Campgrounds can be in short supply in remote areas of Newfoundland, and if you're properly equipped, you might want to try out a traditional activity known as "gravel-pit camping" (which the official tourism office officially discourages). Basically, this means pulling over to the side of the road -- typically in a gravel pit or parking lot -- and spending the night away from organized campgrounds. (Always ask permission first.) You'll see gravel-pit campers from time to time around the island, often in beautiful and dramatic spots overlooking coves or ponds. So long as you don't pitch your tent or park your RV right in someone's driveway, you usually won't be hassled -- and you might be entertained by the curious local folks who show up to say hello and suss out the passers-through.

Read more: Active Pursuits in Newfoundland and Labrador | Frommer's

Not sure about the sausages but I will be in the vicinity in the video, planned on staying at Pistolet Bay but maybe I'll explore the options. Apparently there is quite a controvery about gravel pit camping, the Gov is working to outlaw and uproot what many see as a tradition and right. Part os the changes rapidly taking hold in NFL, visit before it is like everywhere else!

"
Pit Stop: "Gravel-Pit" Camping on The Rock -- Campgrounds can be in short supply in remote areas of Newfoundland, and if you're properly equipped, you might want to try out a traditional activity known as "gravel-pit camping" (which the official tourism office officially discourages). Basically, this means pulling over to the side of the road -- typically in a gravel pit or parking lot -- and spending the night away from organized campgrounds. (Always ask permission first.) You'll see gravel-pit campers from time to time around the island, often in beautiful and dramatic spots overlooking coves or ponds. So long as you don't pitch your tent or park your RV right in someone's driveway, you usually won't be hassled -- and you might be entertained by the curious local folks who show up to say hello and suss out the passers-through.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newfoundlandandlabrador/2984010020.html#ixzz1PStZLJdn

You guys better get up to NFL before it's too late. No telling when the Newfie government will shut down all those dramatic and scenic gravel pits!

Barko1, we're coming after you :D ... we will be in Newfoundland/Labrador in August.

Due to time and other considerations, we shipped Spike and Shelly (Taco + FWC) off to Albany NY. We will reunite on July 16 and head up through Maine, into the Maritimes, on to Newfoundland, then Labrador, back through Quebec, into Vermont and back to Albany on August 25 when we fly back to Portland and S&S take the slow route on the back of a car carrier to Portland.

Actually, you indicated some possibility that the trip might be delayed, but if you get there first, we would love to read any trip reports you can post.

If you are in Thompson Falls around noonish stop by the Little Bear for lunch and/or ice cream. Good slow food. South side of the street on the east end of the main part of town.

Going to the Sun in Glacier due to open 7-13.

If you are in Thompson Falls around noonish stop by the Little Bear for lunch and/or ice cream. Good slow food. South side of the street on the east end of the main part of town.

Going to the Sun in Glacier due to open 7-13.

Thanks for the gastronomic tip! My plans from Thompson Falls are still in the air but I know I'll be there the 21st and 22nd.

My Maritime /Labrador trip may have to wait until September, less bugs and tourists.

Back
Top Bottom