Heading Out for Spring Break

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Well we're getting out here the end of the week. We've got most of the trip planned out but need help in one area. The Lady (and I do too) wants to stop and see the new Highway 93 bridge across the Colorado River at Hoover Dam. That is a long day's drive for us and would put us there late afternoon. We're looking for suggestions on a simple place to pop the top for the night as we'll be heading east early in the morning. The Las Vegas area and all the people around there is pretty foreign to us. Any help?

Valley of Fire State Park!

20 miles east of Vegas, exit #75 on 1-15. There is a huge truck stop at the exit with cheaper fuel than anywhere else (Indian Res) on I-15. Or there is a dirt road near Hoover Dam and Henderson, that hugs the north shore of Lake Mead, (ironically called Northshore Rd on most maps) that will bring you into Valley of Fire, however that road is long, dusty and with a lotta washboards.

But the Valley of Fire State Park is well, well worth the effort to get to it. Our absolute favorite "formal" campground to stop anytime we're headed to CA. They have two small campground loops, one with hookups for RV's, and beside it a dry campground, all tucked into scenic red rock with nice amenities (water, clean outhouse, table & fire-ring). I think the fee in "Campground loop B" is $8. The morning light in all of that red rock is awesome for photos. Here is a pic from when we stopped there for a night last December -

1115961306_kFgxL-O.jpg

If that is too rich for the travel budget, try Northshore Rd. Lots of wide open nothing out there with a few places to pull over, pop the top and call it a night. You can continue on to I-15E in the morning from there.

Sounds like it's going to be a good trip. Be safe!

I second Red Rocks. 3pins, you could also try the Mt Charleston area, just North of LV on 95. There might be too much snow up high but there are plenty dirt roads in the Humbolt-Toiyabe NF lower down.

Hey 3 Pin,

I don't know how much time you have allotted in the area or how far away from the camper you want to get but just before the damn on the California side there is a small campground on lake mead in Boulder City, it's nothing to write home about but it's convenient and close to one of the best river trips you can do. I have lead the trip professionally twice, done it once personally and am planning to go back and do it on paddle boards very soon. It is a flat water, no water skills necessary float through Black Canyon which is the stretch of the Colorado river just below Hoover Dam, literally you put in staring up at the dam. What makes it great is that just past put in on river right is a sauna cave, you hike back into the rock below the dam and it is a natural 120 degree sauna with benches cut into the wall and as you leave there and float the rest of it every single side canyon is hot water. Pick one and hike up it and you will find a hot tub waiting for you. Some of the larger ones have sand bags to make them deeper and ladders and you can relax in a tight slot canyon hot spring with a sliver of stars above you as late as you want. It's an amazing spot, takes 3 days.

You can rent equipment and get a shuttle from these guys http://bouldercityoutfitters.com/rental.php

The navigation is simple float the flat water down stream for 3 days until you see a large boat ramp on your left, then get out and get on the shuttle bus which will take you back over the dam to see the bridge and back to your truck for the rest of the trip.

If you have time, check it out this time of year is the best as it gets way too hot to do it in the summer.

Have a great trip!

Red Rock Canyon is good for an overnight. There is a new visitor center with lots of interesting info and the campground has just been refreshed.

x2 on Valley of Fire - Gorgeous and fairly quiet. One campground has showers.

Lake Mead - Boulder Beach - great views, but 2 bad experiences there. A lot of a-hole "campers" go there.

Mt. Charleston - 8000 feet - brrr.

Lake Meade Boulder Beach is the site I was talking about in Boulder City just before the dam where we stay the night before putting in for Black Canyon. It's nice enough for a one night necessity camp but as mentioned it can be high on the yahoo factor depending on the time. I have never had a "bad" experience there but have had some loud and rowdy neighbors a time or two.

Forgot to mention - the bridge is awesome. Have seen it every year since 2007. Great views from the dam itself. Haven't driven on it yet though. You will be impressed - I guarantee it.

Well we're getting out here the end of the week. We've got most of the trip planned out but need help in one area. The Lady (and I do too) wants to stop and see the new Highway 93 bridge across the Colorado River at Hoover Dam. That is a long day's drive for us and would put us there late afternoon. We're looking for suggestions on a simple place to pop the top for the night as we'll be heading east early in the morning. The Las Vegas area and all the people around there is pretty foreign to us. Any help?

Forgot to mention - the bridge is awesome. Have seen it every year since 2007. Great views from the dam itself. Haven't driven on it yet though. You will be impressed - I guarantee it.

We've gone through a few times since 2006 and watched progress on its construction. We're not much into manmade things but there is something about bridges, isn't there?

All, thanks much for for all your suggestions and info.

kcowyo and Stew, we've never been to Valley of Fire. It is a favorite place of dear friends who want to take us there so we've been saving it for that trip.

Rich, this trip we're heading east but that float sounds like a lot of fun for a future adventure. Thanks much for the info.

I've done some searching on the Lake Mead gov site and haven't found a real answer if dispersed backcountry is allowed in the outlying areas. After the bridge we were thinking about either heading east on Northshore as kcowyo suggests and pulling over somewhere to spend the night or heading down just a bit into AZ. The AZ option would allow both sunset and sunrise on the bridge; might be nice but not necessary.

Thanks again for all the help.

As long as you have Valley of Fire on your to-see list... I think you will really like it.

Another option, maybe a little more south than you may want to go, but about 40 miles south of the dam by the town of Searchlight, there is a nice campground in Cottonwood Bay on Lake Mohave. I've stayed there twice and it's nice as well.

Have fun & be safe -

"I've done some searching on the Lake Mead gov site and haven't found a real answer if dispersed backcountry is allowed in the outlying areas. After the bridge we were thinking about either heading east on Northshore as kcowyo suggests and pulling over somewhere to spend the night or heading down just a bit into AZ. The AZ option would allow both sunset and sunrise on the bridge; might be nice but not necessary."

I am actually siting in my new ATC right now at the Callville Bay campsite on Lake Mead, just east of Vegas. I tried driving to the lake shore on the two wash roads east of here and I didn't make it to the lake shore, granted I was trying at night. But, I never encountered any no camping signs. There were signs regarding 4x4 recommended and such, but no no camping signs.

This campsite would rank low on my list. It is nice and convienient, but I don't like to pay for a spot and it has no character.
I just gave up on trying to 4x4 to the lake's edge in darkness and solo.

I may check out Valley of Fire tomorrow night ( April 19th night ). I am picking up a friend at the Vegas airport at 10pm and would like to have some close and cool to go to.

........back home with 1743 miles of adventure on the truck and camper and several more on the boots. I will post a trip report as back to home and work tumble back into place.

A teaser..........this story is from around 7:30 am on Wednesday morning, April 20.

"There's a large animal in the road ahead," the Lady said.
"Is it a cat?" I asked quick as I looked up from driving - negotiating the ruts, rocks, and tree limbs. We figured the 5 or 6 mile drive in to this remote trail head on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon would take us a bit over an hour. This was proving about right as we traveled along the plateau riddled with pinyons, junipers, and sage in the early morning light. We were searching for our own private piece of Grand Canyon National Park.
"No, it's a bear. It moves like a bear. It's a bear". The Lady knows animals.
I saw the rump about 20 yards ahead. He glanced over his shoulder and looked at us and stepped off the road into the sage and completely disappeared. It was a bear. Bears are incredible creatures.

Yes -- details and photos, please! :)

Was this "North Rim" of the GC near/around/on-the-way-to Toroweap...if not, did you go there, too?

Back
Top Bottom