Heater fan squeal

gsbfree

Contributors
Does everyone's heater fan squeal?

Since day one my heater fan has squealed, the more I use it the louder it seems to be squealing. It's really becoming quite irriating, the wife isn't happy...and that's a bad sign. My Hawk (2008 model) has an Atwood model 8012 heater. It appears to be fully enclosed and would have to be entirely removed to get access to the fan to investigate/lube.

Has anyone found a solution?

Ours has never squealed. It is an '03 Hawk so not sure if that is the same model. If it has been since day one, sounds like a defective one was installed. I would expect the solution would be a free replacement heater from FWC.

There have been several reports of this on here, I tried a search on the subject but came up with nothing (not surprised). I'm sure others will chime in.  I know DD specifically has had this problem.

Hello gsbfree

I would think that would still be covered under warranty through Atwood.

You might want to pull out the original paperwork that came with the furnace and see what the details are.

Here is a link to the Atwood website ...

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/heating-systems.asp

On the right side of the page is a service center locator.

In most cities you can find an RV shop close to you that can service it for you.

With any kind of warranty items, it is always best to call Atwood to get their pre-authorization for a repair.

Hope this helps get you on the right track.

I had my local RV dealer replace the fan motor and it works fine now. I suspect that in my case I had sucked large amounts of dust into the motor in places like Death Valley but I'm just speculating. My furnace did not squeak when it was new.

For all it is worth, mine was squealing also. I took it up to Marty at ATC. He took the heater out and found that a wire had come loose from my back roading. The wire was hitting the fan blade. You might want to check it out. ATC fixed mine for nothing.

Darryl

For what its worth, mine has never squealed. Normal running its loud (very subjective) but not obnoxious.

FYI update....

I followed Stan's advice, contacted Atwood, they directed me to a couple service centers in the Boise area. I made an appointment, they confirmed the fan motor needs replaced. They said it's an odd part number and it will take three weeks to get the replacement :oops:

THREE WEEKS?????? I guess I've lived with it this long....three more weeks won't kill me.

The service manager at the RV dealership asked if he could give his neighbor my name and number to come checkout the Hawk. He said his neighbor has been hunting for a used one for a while without any luck. I stopped weekly to visit about the camper, didn't expect to be stopped in the RV dealership by employees though.... :D

Got the heater replaced under warranty and tested it out tonight....Oh My!!!!! It's sooooo quiet.... Can hardly wait for some cold weather to really test it out....
blink.gif

Headed to Redfish/Sawtooth area for a wedding this weekend....maybe I'll get lucky and need to turn on some heat now that it's sooooo quiet.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom