Heating Duct from Truck to Camper

This all goes back to driving back to OH from GA and hitting 20 deg at 10:30pm after an 11 hr drive. With the wife (who luckily loves the FWC-Eagle) sick with a cold, the prospect of finding a spot to crash, pop up and fire up the little Coleman Cat wasn't very appealing. Thus, a motel for the night... which we said we would try to avoid since buying the camper.

A coleman cat isn't the same thing as a 12k+ BTU forced air heater now is it (or even a larger wave unit for that matter). ;) That's why I said it doesn't take much time to warm up the camper with one of those. A prime spot is parked right in front of the thing if you're chilly, it'll warm ya in a hurry.

In my FWC hawk in cold weather I use the forced air heater while I'm up and about and just sleep in a nice down bag at night with the heater off since it tends to cycle too much due to the heat losses in the camper design. In the morning I just reach out from my bag and turn it on and wait 10min till I get up. :p The heat loss on the camper is the downside to a force air unit keeping a constant warmed camper though.

with a 4 week supply of beer etc. we did not want the inside to freeze.

What is the freezing temp of beer anyway? :LOL:

What is the freezing temp of beer anyway? :LOL:

A qwik search says somewhere in the range of 25°F to 28°F depending on variables that only a home brewer or real aficionado would understand.

I wonder if some quilted blankets with velcro to the soft sides would help as insulation?

RE: Beer... So then with an outside temperature of 32 deg. how many BTU's would be needed to get a pint of Guiness up to room, err I mean, camper temperature for proper consumption? :)

BTW, I ordered a Wave 6 to improve our current heating, or lack of, situation. It seems like there are many happy users out there. The altitude limitation with the less expensive "Buddy" heaters was an important factor for going with the Wave... An "Ohio to the Rockies" trip is in the planning stages for later this year! (w/ fingers crossed)

I wonder if some quilted blankets with velcro to the soft sides would help as insulation?

Something will definitely help. Folks have done a variety of things such as buying the artic pack, using reflextix, fleece, blankets, and also somewhere there is a good thread where folks made either own artic packs out of the same type of material (that's a good thread to review Edit: Here it is http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5269/)

Back
Top Bottom