Hello! New to Community and looking for a trusted community

WhimsyM

Hello,

Just introducing myself. I'm starting to look for a FWC Fleet model for my Tacoma. I'm just learning about them and how to get my hands on one! Any advice for the best spots to shop, etc. would be appreciated. My budget is about 15k... One thought, my Tacoma is a 2016 4x4 Sport. Can anyone provide insight on mods I'll need to consider in order to accommodate the camper weight.

Thanks everyone!

Happy Friday!

A very good place is Facebook Four Wheel Camper Owners, and you can access the link to Used Four Wheel Campers. These 2 sites are great. jd
WhimsyM said:
Hello,

Just introducing myself. I'm starting to look for a FWC Fleet model for my Tacoma. I'm just learning about them and how to get my hands on one! Any advice for the best spots to shop, etc. would be appreciated. My budget is about 15k... One thought, my Tacoma is a 2016 4x4 Sport. Can anyone provide insight on mods I'll need to consider in order to accommodate the camper weight.

Thanks everyone!

Happy Friday!

Welcome to the cult.Have you considered the ATC Bobcat.
It's basically the same as the Fleet but lower in price.
You might get in contact with Marty at AllTerrianCampers.

Do you want a shell or a full camper. They might be able to put into
a new camper for close to your price range.

The ATC campers are a very great value and great construction.

I have had my Bobcat full camper for 10 years now ,have logged about 50K miles traveling with it.
Lots of trips to Yellowstone and between our home.Also 2 6 week trips to Alaska.

We have been extremely satisfied with our rig.
Have fun shopping.
Frank
This is from 2010.We now have a 2002 Tundra carrying it.
DSCN3290.jpg

Vic here are the pics of the rack.

DSCN3071.jpg DSCN3073.jpg

DSCN3146.jpg DSCN3168.jpg

To better carry the camper weight ...

Most customers are adding a set of the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags to the rear suspension of the truck.

And then upgrading to a set of "E Rated Tires" for the truck.

There is more you can do, but these 2 items above cover the basics to get you going.

Hope this helps a little.

Stan@FourWheel said:
To better carry the camper weight ...

Most customers are adding a set of the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags to the rear suspension of the truck.

And then upgrading to a set of "E Rated Tires" for the truck.

There is more you can do, but these 2 items above cover the basics to get you going.

Hope this helps a little.

Agree with Stan, we have both and I added a rear anti-sway bar that really reduced lateral sway and tipping...'05 Tundra SR5 Access Cab/ full kitted '16 Hawk...

FWC is the top tier of quality in my opinion..

Phil

CougarCouple said:
Hay Frank how do those pvc work on the outer flaps?

Russ
Russ they act as props to hold the flaps open for sun shade/to keep rain out while getting some air in.
Somewhere maybe in "mods" there are posts about using/making them.
They have been great.
Frank

thank you thank you!
Living The Dream said:
At 8:00 I start to talk about my modification to my truck to handle the weight. It might be of interest to you. You're gonna love the setup.

I agree with Stan. I have a 05 4wd Tacoma with ARB suspension(springs and shocks) about 2.5 inch lift. I added firestone airbags and already had KO2 e rated tires. Just got back from 2000 mile road trip with ATC bobcat camper, very similar to Fleet camper. It handle it very well. I made mounting brackets similar to Four Wheel Camper brackets from 3/8 X 4 inch flatbar, because of the Tacoma composite bed. Bought my camper off craigslist, 2011 Bobcat.
Follow the gear exchange on this sight and craigslist, and with a little patience hopefully you'll find what you want. I don't think you will regret it. Love mine and looking forward to many more trips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom