HELP getting in and out of bed

Adi

Not spring chickern anymore and seems that urine bladder gets smaller with age. After a few close calls with slipping/almost falling during night-time need to empty bladder...looking for mods, accessories, ideas, suggestions to make getting up and down bed easier and safer. Pictures would be most appreciated.

Adi said:
Not spring chickern anymore and seems that urine bladder gets smaller with age. After a few close calls with slipping/almost falling during night-time need to empty bladder...looking for mods, accessories, ideas, suggestions to make getting up and down bed easier and safer. Pictures would be most appreciated.
More information would be helpful. What style camper do you have? Front Dinette, Side Dinette, or Side sofa? What year camper?

Thanks Longhorn1, have a Fleet Shell 2017. I removed the side folding dinette as did not need extra sleeping room and honestly, blocked my door entry and getting equipment loaded inside. So basically, there is not much below the bed. Seems that getting up and down the bed several times/night might be challenging for most configuration, so looking to hear how folks deal with this.

Depends? :). I see that you removed the lower bed area, but that is where I sleep and store my gear above when I am camped.

cwd

Adi said:
Thanks Longhorn1, have a Fleet Shell 2017. I removed the side folding dinette as did not need extra sleeping room and honestly, blocked my door entry and getting equipment loaded inside. So basically, there is not much below the bed. Seems that getting up and down the bed several times/night might be challenging for most configuration, so looking to hear how folks deal with this.
We have a front dinette and step up on the seat and put one leg up like a frog and crawl in, leaving sliding down on stomach onto seat and down. I think your ownly option is a small ladder that hooks on to the lip on the bed.

Hi Adi

We have a Hawk and sleep one up and one down crossways.

I added a simple Toyota grab handle at the top edge of the camper hardside (above the egress window) and positioned it as a handhold when going up to the bunk.

The upper sleeper steps on the right side shelf and the handle helps when going up or down.

David Graves

I can only offer the following, tho prob not what you're looking for...

Use light. We keep a small push on/off puck type in the bed. No more reaching for the overhead lamp and almost slipping out of bed. And it helps me see what I'm not doing correctly both climbing up and down.

My days of moving around in the dark are over - literally I mean, figuratively, well ... we've only just begun

What about a ladder?

81-aHqe3mgL._SL1500_-M.jpg

This one is the

GoWesty Telescopic Ladder

Thanks to all for input. Sound like I’m not alone in having challenges to getting up and down bed and well, seems it’s never graceful. Tried ladder, but that was a bit overkill and even scarier. The grab handle sounds like a good idea. A bit suprised how many have chosen to use lower level for sleeping and upper for storage.

A good roll of 2 inch flexible tubing and a 5 Gallon bucket below. Bingo

I was thinking this line today as I we get our Hawk tomorrow. I might use my white step ladder, but I have a wife I might have to crawl over and she might need to crawl over me. She is short so I need to figure a setup for her.

She said no to the hose and 5 gallon bucket for me! so.... I have to crawl down now too. That extension ladder may work...

At some point in the past, someone posted pictures (or plans) for a home made ladder that hooked on the edge of the bed. It looked like a great idea.

It could have been someone else, however, I posted mine in my build thread, first interior.
Made of oak, dado or rabbit for the steps into the vertical parts, very strong as far as holding a person's weight.
Possible to go up or down facing either way, in or out.
Hand hold was the edge of the bed.
Didn't really hook on the edge, just kind of jammed in there with friction on the carpet being pretty secure.
Had to get my foot forward of the bottom of the ladder to "kick" it out (towards the back) for removal.
Worked OK, as I didn't have any place for a foot to go on a dinette, or bench or anything.
Different interior now and I gave the ladder away .

gallery_2702_1169_312733.jpg

buckland said:
It's called the lady J
https://www.cabelas.com/product/little-john-34-lady-j-34-female-adapter/747125.uts?WT.ac=RI-747125&WT.z_pg_ref=prd746951

I must say that at times of inclement weather ..... they are real good to have.

I have used somwthing similar during backpacking trips, but it is not realistic option lying in FWC bed. Thus far, the most viable ideas (IMHO) are to move to downstairs sleeping, add ladder +/- grab handle.

Anybody with a front dinette use this as an intermediary step or somehow incorporate into getting up or down?

Adi said:
I have added 2 handles to the ceiling above the bed - attached them around the push bar for listing the roof - these make it a lot easier for me to move around on the bed - and are handy for hanging up stuff as well.

They look like these but are a different brand -

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/2373/Yak-Gear-EZ-Loop-Hood-Loops-Pair.html

Adi said:
Anybody with a front dinette use this as an intermediary step or somehow incorporate into getting up or down?
We have the old style, side bench with back rest up against the outer wall. The backrest incorporates a plywood backer and cushion. Absolutely use both the seat cushion and the top edge of the backrest as 'steps' to climb up and down.

Back
Top Bottom