HELP! Hawk with electrical issue

Resqman911

Hey guys looking for some help. I just purchased a used Hawk and I’m having a weird issue. I’m getting no 12v power in the camper when plugged in or off of the house batteries but if I start the truck everything Works as it should… any help would be appreciated .

Welcome to the site.

We are going to need more information. What year Hawk?

Get a volt meter and start checking voltage. Do you have any voltage at the house batteries when the truck is not running? What is it?

Are the inside lights only work when the truck is running?

Start looking for switches and knobs that will turn on off power from the house batteries to the inside lights.

You can call the previous owner and chat as they may know that camper very well to get you going.

More questions and answers later as getting some starting info helps to guide you better.

Resqman911 said:
Hey guys looking for some help. I just purchased a used Hawk and I’m having a weird issue. I’m getting no 12v power in the camper when plugged in or off of the house batteries but if I start the truck everything Works as it should… any help would be appreciated .
Typically, there is a silver push pull knob that connects the batteries to the main 12VDC bus. Is that pulled out? When on shore power, it also allows the batteries to charge via the converter.

That you’re not getting power from the converter to the main 12VDC bus suggests the converter may not be functioning, or there is a fuse/circuit breaker open, or there is a bad/open connection to the bus.

Since it doesn’t have battery power either suggests the battery switch may not be pulled, or you have a wiring open between the batteries and the bus (could be a ground wire, too), or completely discharged batteries/bad batteries.

The advice in the post by Patrick is spot on. Do speak to the previous owner, and do use a multimeter for trouble shooting. Chances are it’s something simple.

And… congratulations on your new camper, and welcome to Wander the West.

Figured it out guys, Previous owner replaced the batteries recently and missed a ground connection in the battery compartment .

Resqman911 said:
Figured it out guys, Previous owner replaced the batteries recently and missed a ground connection in the battery compartment .
Good deal, glad it was simple. Nice that the previous owner replaced the batteries for you.

Don't forget for tips and ways to make your system better is to search previous postings. There is a whole lot of information already posted for people to read.

Back
Top Bottom