Help in PDX needed! Deer + Truck = Remove FWC

RFC

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as I just purchased my first FWC. On it's maiden voyage to Neah Bay, WA I managed to hit a deer, doing significant damage to my Tacoma (thankfully still drivable). I need to take my truck in next week to the adjuster/body shop, am concerned that it may be totaled and need to remove my FWC beforehand. The camper didn't come with jacks as the previous owner upgraded to a new one and kept the jacks.

I've ordered a set, but they won't arrive in time so I'm in a bit of a pinch. Is there anyone in the Portland, OR area who has jacks and would be willing to lend them to me for a couple hours to remove the camper and set it in the driveway? I'd be happy to pay someone for their time or buy them a case of beer at the very least.

- Or, are there other methods for safely removing a camper?

Thanks

Hi Newbie - I am also a newbie - but My first thought when I read your message was that when I have seen the factory at FWC and how trhey handle campers on and off trucks, they use a normal forklift type lift to make things easy - maybe you can at the very least find or rent one to do the job until you get it stored where you need it until the new or renovated truck is available. - If you were in my area ( San Diego County) you would be welcome to use my jacks. I also have an aluminum dolly that I use to manurver it around in the garage when I take it off the truck. anyway - good luck and glad more damage was not done! Regards, another wanderer, Terry

Hope some one close steps up. Most of us have out jacks off if the camper is on the truck. I am just a little to far away.

Bill

If you can find some jacks and need a quick hand, I will be in Portland Wed & Thurs this week. Could stop by and lend a hand. I wont have jacks with me. Up here on vacation with the family. Glad to lend a hand if needed. Stan

RFC,
I've got some you can borrow. I live outside McMinnville. I will be in Sherwood this weekend at a softball tournament if you would like to meet.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far, looks like the rental jacks might be a cheap and easy option. I'm assuming you put two near the front of the camper ( near where it meets the cab) and one on the back?

rayct77 said:
RFC,
I've got some you can borrow. I live outside McMinnville. I will be in Sherwood this weekend at a softball tournament if you would like to meet.
Thanks rayct77, that would be great! Maybe I could meet you out there Saturday am and then return them to you later in the day?

Sure, no problem. I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I would come help but I'll be stuck coaching. PM me and we can figure out logistics.

Chris

I can help as well. My jacks are laying on the garage floor as I have been too lazy to put them in their storage spots since putting our Fleet on for the summer. I am in Beaverton. Depending on where you live, I could probably bring them over and we could get the camper off. PM me if you are interested.

RFC said:
Thanks to everyone who responded so far, looks like the rental jacks might be a cheap and easy option. I'm assuming you put two near the front of the camper ( near where it meets the cab) and one on the back?
When I had my camper removed to change trucks Marty and crew at ATC used the cable jacks as I don't have jacks or brackets.
Only two were needed. They were placed at the balance point around the propane tank area of the camper.
It was easy and a third wasn't used.
Just go slow and easy.
Hope you get this worked out.
Frank

You guys are awesome. I am happy to be a part of a bunch of guys that look out for one another like you guys.

Wow, yeah what a group! Funny thing is when I got home from work today there was a set of jacks on my doorstep, so after all this I should be set. Not too shabby for putting in an order late sunday night... Looks like they are based in Texas, but must have a distribution center somewhere close. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm

Thanks so much to everyone for stepping up and being willing to help out! I'm really excited to be a part of this group.

Back
Top Bottom