Help me spend my REI dividend

UglyScout

Contributors
I use an REI visa which earns me REI cash each year. I've pretty much bought everything I need for camping/outdoors over the last 10 years. But with my camper - now I need a whole new round of stuff!!

Anything you can think of that REI might have that I might need to make my trips nicer?

I 'think' I will have about $100 to spend this year. Last year I had a ton more dividend (two years worth and a home remodel worth of spending...) and ended up cashing most of it out for cash and wasting the money on other stuff.

On a total side note to really side track things - anyone use a better dividend/rebate credit card? Are you happy with it? Score any cool stuff or trips? Does it have an annual fee? If I can find something better I'd switch....

I use an REI visa which earns me REI cash each year. I've pretty much bought everything I need for camping/outdoors over the last 10 years. But with my camper - now I need a whole new round of stuff!!

Anything you can think of that REI might have that I might need to make my trips nicer?

I 'think' I will have about $100 to spend this year. Last year I had a ton more dividend (two years worth and a home remodel worth of spending...) and ended up cashing most of it out for cash and wasting the money on other stuff.

On a total side note to really side track things - anyone use a better dividend/rebate credit card? Are you happy with it? Score any cool stuff or trips? Does it have an annual fee? If I can find something better I'd switch....

If you travel outside the country look into a Capitol One card.They don't charge additional fees for ATM and foreign money rates.We travel to spain to visit our daughter and use that card. In the states we use a BofA NBMA bank card,just regular points but if you want to use the points for airline tickets there are no blackouts.Hope this sheds some light.

Frank

If you have any complaints about the stock sleeping pads/matress, this looks like an appealing addition - ALPS Mountaineering sleeping pad and marked way, way down. A little more than you have on your card, but if you're suffering on the stock thin pads, it might be a good choice...?

I have wellsfargo visa with rewards, I think there is a $20-40 fee or such a year. But for every 50,000 points you can get a $600 credit to your account which is 1.2% cash back. Not sure if that is good or not.

The REI is good for the rebates and the 1% payout. I have been using it for years and had no problems. I also use the Alaska airlines visa which gets me to Alaska free every year. You get free companion passes every year and with all my traveling, I normally get two free round trip tickets also. The yearly fee is $70, but I also get credit for all the hotels I stay at (200+ nights a year!). I really love sleeping in my bed!

As far as what to buy, I would recommend going to the "garage sale" that every store has 3/4 times a year. REI sells all of the returns and with the 7 stores in the state, you can get all of your equipment very cheap. When I lived in Seattle, I would go to several of these sales and score big time. You can really get some bargins. You have no exuse now Pods!

Excuse for what? :unsure:

All the great deals at the REI garage sales around Seattle. Seems like they would have one almost every month.

All the great deals at the REI garage sales around Seattle. Seems like they would have one almost every month.

There isn't any gear that I'm really lacking at the moment.

I just spent mine on a chemical toilet to go in the not-yet-completed Hawk that we're hoping to take delivery of in the week or two.

Back
Top Bottom