Help planning a 6 day trip out west.

jordanball33

If you had 6 days to spend west of Oklahoma City, where would you go?

I would like to see the Grand Canyon first and foremost.

Other places I've considered:

Devils Tower/Yellowstone
Arches
Mount Rushmore/Black Hills

I know there are many places in-between that I'm missing. I know I can't do all 4 of those in the timeframe I have.

What am I missing?

What time of year? Yellowstone is going to be getting snowed in before much longer, conversely doing the Utah parks in the summer can be really hot.

I'd look at Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Canyon North Rim, Zion, Bryce and then back across on 70.but then I have a preference for cactus, slickrock and the southwest. I added RMNP in because it's on the way...

950 miles OK City to South Rim, 870 miles to Black Hills, 1283 miles to Yellowstone; unless you have multiple drivers and drive straight through, you are not going to have much time at any.

If Grand Canyon is your main objective, I would concider Petrified Forest NP on the way to Grand Canyon South Rim. The North Rim is further but is less crowded and has dispersed camping in Kaibab National Forest (check to see if North Rim is open, late spring or early fall snow can close the North entrance, the South Rim is open all year).

Devil's Tower is on the western edge of the Black Hills, about an hours drive from Spearfish, SD. Lots of hiking and dispersed camping in the Black Hills. Developed campgrounds are usually full July and August and impossible around Sturgis Bike Week (but bikers don't boondock).

Teton NP is just South of Yellowstone. Dispersed camping and private campgrounds (need reservations in summer) outside of Yellowstone. Finding a campsite in Yellowstone is difficult in the summer.

jim

Six days isn't much time.

Depends on time of year, which rim of the Grand Canyon you want to see and what you want to do. My recommendations are colored by my liking to hike.

My recommendations would be:

If you go South Rim, come in on I40 and catch Pertified Forest/Painted Desert and Meteor Crater on the way to the South Rim. You'll probably be getting to the Canyon pretty late on the second day if you push it. At the Canyon, be sure to go out the West Rim Drive to Hermit's Rest. On the way back leave by the east entrance, head up through Tuba to Monument Valley (remember that it is on the Navajo Reservation) and then up to Valley of the Gods. Drive up the Mogi Dugway and camp up on the rim. Or skip Monument Valley and head over to Chinle and Canyon de Chelly.

Alternatively, if you go South Rim, Flagstaff area has some interesting things to see. Northeast of Flag you have Sunset Crater and Wupatki national monuments. West of Flagstaff, there is a lava cave which you can hike through. There is also Red Mountain northwest of Flag on 180 (way to Canyon). Red Mountain is a short, relatively flat hike to a cider cone volcano that is u-shaped and has hoodoos. East of Flag is Walnut Canyon. To the south, you have the red rocks of Oak Creek and Sedona (plus a billion or so tourists) and the old mining town of Jerome.

If you go North Rim, weather is more iffy outside of summer and early fall. North Rim closes in winter. Some nice camp sites off of Fire Road 632 (hope the number is correct). From North Rim, you can hit Zion and Bryce national parks. If weather is permitting, you could take House Rock Road east of the Jacobs Lake off of 89A. House Rock Road is dirt and can flood out in spring. Nice hike in Buckskin Glutch (Paria River) which is the longest slot canyon in the southwest. Weather permitting, Cottonwood Canyon Road takes you from 89 up to Kodachrome Basin State Park and Bryce. I'm a mountain guy, not a canyon rat but Cottonwood Canyon Road takes you through some amazing scenery.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
You could do the Black Hills/Custer St Park/Wind Cave NP/Badlands NP or a subset of them. All are close together.
I second that! Custer is one of my favorite places. It's like a mini-Yellowstone w/o the crowds. Now I don't about the weather/timing though.

Hi jordanball33
I would second time of year makes a difference. South commercialized, and can be pricey, I've herd. North rim national parks access open May to late Oct. or Nov. you could do both that would be different perspective. There is a remote area open year round monitor the weather.
Six days goes fast, what ever you decide I would limit distance between site visit's and try keeping them localized or in the same direction as return trip home. Making the most distant destination where you go first, then as you make stops going home your headed in the right direction. Someone posted 950 miles that's 19 hours of travel time each way x's 2. Six days is 144 hours.
OutToLunch lists sounds nice list of places to visit.

Russ

http://www.zionnational-park.com/toroweap.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

kmcintyre said:
I second that! Custer is one of my favorite places. It's like a mini-Yellowstone w/o the crowds. Now I don't about the weather/timing though.
Another place like Custer is Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota. Maybe 200 miles from Rapid City.

If your going to the south rim of the GC +1 on the Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater, Wapatki & Walnut Canyon. You could also stop by and visit Homolovi State Park as you pass through Holbrook right off the I-40.

If you head south of Flagstaff on I-17 check out the Verde Valley south of Sedona. There you can tour Tuzigoot, Montezuma's Castle & Montezuma's Well.

jordanball33 said:
If you had 6 days to spend west of Oklahoma City, where would you go?

I would like to see the Grand Canyon first and foremost.

Other places I've considered:

Devils Tower/Yellowstone
Arches
Mount Rushmore/Black Hills

I know there are many places in-between that I'm missing. I know I can't do all 4 of those in the timeframe I have.

What am I missing?
First off when are you planing to do this trip.Some of the suggestions are closed or will soon.
6 Days is a not really enough time with all the miles to drive to your wish list spots.TR NP is a nice place to camp and roam the roads.There are animals to see there. Don't know how late it stays open.We were there about this time 5 years ago and it was enjoyable.
Also you might head north into Northeast Minnesota lots of lakes to drive to and nice camp spots.
Have fun planing.
Frank

DSCN5542.jpg Gran Maris area Minn.
DSCN5690.jpg TR NP
DSCN5687.jpg TR NP

OutToLunch said:
Six days isn't much time.

Depends on time of year, which rim of the Grand Canyon you want to see and what you want to do. My recommendations are colored by my liking to hike.

My recommendations would be:
I'm a mountain guy, not a canyon rat but Cottonwood Canyon Road takes you through some amazing scenery.
I'd like to know more about the hikes you like doing in these areas. My wife and I love to hike, and the only point of driving is to get to amazing hikes. The guidebooks all seem focused around the National Parks, so finding great hikes outside of the parks has been frustrating.

If this question launches a great response, I'm thinking I would love to see a thread dedicated to "hikes accessible via WTW vehicles" We don't have a OHV, but our feet work well!

That's for all the suggestions. I think I will shoot for valley of the gods first and just hang around that General area of southern Utah and northern Arizona. Going in 2 weeks(if all works out) I read the northern rim of the Grand Canyon will be mostly closed, but open for dry camping until the snow covers the road. If closed I may try and go more south to see the Grand Canyon.

Vic,

As to hikes in the region, i mentioned Buckskin Gulch. A friend of mine prefers the Narrows as it gets you into the nice parts of the Paria faster.

I prefer mountains. You might try the La Sal Mountains outside of Moab. I think they are under appreciated, which is fine by me. My son and i were there in early June and hiked Burro Pass trail which was nice. There are a host of other trails there which are nice.

We also spend time in the San Juans of western Colorado. The Silverton area is getting crowded but some trails are pretty empty. Two of my favorite hikes are Island Lake and Columbine. Island Lake is off the Ice Lakes trail. Everyone seems to hike Ice Lakes. Every time i have hiked to Island Lake, we encountered no one after the trail split. Island Lake is incredibly aquamarine. Columbine Lake is a butt kicker at the start as most of the climb is in the first third. Nice lake. You can hike up and over to Telluride. There is also Crater Lake which is longer but flatter. In the Silverton-Ouray area there are a ton of good hikes besides these.

Farther north by Ridgeway, Co, you can head back to Yankee Boy Basin. I haven’t done it yet but a photographer friend heads up there frequently.

If you are into backpacking, there is the Weminuche Wilderness. There is a nice, long loop loop from near Vallecito Lake past Emerald Lake, up to Half Moon Lake (great camping spot), over to Flint Lake, then down the next valley. Long (43 miles). There ae lots of nice day hikes in the Weminuche.

Off the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, the Bill Hall trail gets you down to Thunder River which is impressive but crowded with day hikers from the river running trips. If you take the trail over to Deer Valley/Creek instead there is a smaller spring surging out of the canyon wall from high up and has a waterfall down stream.

South of Flagstaff, where i live, you have all the Sedona hikes. It has gotten too crowded for me there. To the east of Sedona, there is West Clear Creek which is nicer the farther up you go. Nice swimming holes, lots of jumping trout, etc. You can either enter from the Bull Pen which is easy to get to or Trail #17 from above. The later was my preferred route, but the one mile road was nasty. Fortunately, i was driving a 91 Isuzu Trooper as the skid pads were sorely tested a lot. I haven’t been there in twenty years. You can also hike in from Happy Jack.

To the southwest of Sedona is Sycamore Canyon. In winter, you hike in from the Verde River near Clarkdale. In summer from the rim (head down Woody Mountain Road (FSR 231) out of Flagstaff and you’ll need a forest service map. There are other hikes accessible from that road network.

Lots of possibilities for dispersed camping around Flagstaff as long as it isn’t the rez.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Back
Top Bottom