Help please with Victron Orion tr smart 12-12-30 dc-dc charger

Hello,

Need a little electrical/electronics help please.
I have installed a Victron tr smart isolated 12-12-30 dc-dc charger in my camper. I have used 6awg throughout, I’m using two Life Blue 100AH batteries. The input voltage at the charger is constantly varying with the truck running 7ish volts up to 13+ then back down again, no output voltage because of lockout. I had the same setup in my last rig which was a 2015 Tacoma with a Four Wheel Fleet and it worked very well. The new truck is a 2024 F350, the only other variable is that I used a 30A blue sea breaker at the truck battery in the new Ford, in the Toyota I had used a 60A breaker. Victron replaced the charger thinking it defective, the replacement is doing the same thing.

Please help!

The Victron DC-DC draws more than 30 A from the alternator - you need a 50 A thermal fuse or breaker at the battery. Note: Be sure your negative line is connected to the chassis where the battery negative is attached (so as to not bypass the battery control module).

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply. When you mention connecting the negative “line” to chassis ground, are you referring to connecting the negative 6g lead from the truck battery leading to the charger to chassis ground? Or negative line(s) from victron unit in the camper to truck chassis?

Back
Top Bottom