Help w/ a power converter, please

tanyj

OK, first of all, i can finally access the forums from home. It seems the antique cable modem we had went bad & when we got a new one after the last round of tornadoes, I can get back on here.

Now, to the question. I have searched the forums a little bit, and while i found a bit on installing a power converter, i was overwhelmed with the technical mumbo-jumbo, and just want to know the simplest way to install the converter i just bought. It has virtually no instructions with it, and i know very little about 12v, and don't have the desire to buy & memorize a dozen books about it before i install this thing. It can't possibly be that difficult, but i wanted to post up and ask for advise first.

http://www.bestconverter.com/12-Amp-Power-Center_p_83-49.html# is what i own, and i have a Honda 500w generator. I will be using my camper both in a site with power, and without, and will use the generator when not in a powered site. Mostly, i will be camping in KOA, or similar, and just need to plug the thing in to run the heater, fan, lights, 110 outlet, etc.

I bought my camper for the weight (lack of, actually), size, simple design, & straightforward utility. I tote it in a 1991.5 Dodge W-250 CTD, & it barely squats the bed. I usually tow a flatbed trailer with my Heep & tools to different off-road events. I've only used it a few times, but love it, so far. The only thing i dislike is the need to constantly charge the battery. I found out i didn't have a converter (like the previous owner told me) it was actually just a fuse block. Thanks for listening to my ramblings, and i'm hoping i haven't made all the tecknos too angy to help me out.

the converter will need to be fed with 110v AC
and
it will deliver 12v power to charge your camper battery.

you will need to mount the inverter somewhere.
get a way to connect it to 110v AC
and wire it's 12v output to your battery.

does your camper have a 110v connector availble? it you were in a KOA how would you get power to the camper? you might have to add a 110v connector.

Yes, it does have an outlet (inlet?) for 110 power in. It just goes into a breaker like you would have in a house, and supplies the power to the single 110 outlet, and the 110 supply for the refrigerator. We never run the fridge w/ electric unless in a campsite, but it would be nice to have the power supplied by the 110, when plugged in, and not run the battery down when we use the fantastic fan or the lights.

I forgot to mention that the camper is a 1991, also. I guess i should have rolled my pennies a little longer and bought the Iota from the factory, but i bought what i could afford, and now i'm begging for help. Is there any schematic for the wiring, or any help that can be given from Stan? Maybe i can load some pics tomorrow.

Have you looked at this?

You would be replacing your existing fuse block and circuit breaker box with your new convertor. That is, the WFCO 8700 series serves all 3 purposes: 110V protection/supply, 12V protection/supply, and battery maintenance.

Honestly, if you are not comfortable installing the convertor with the instructions in the attached link, it would be safer to have someone who is more familiar with RV wiring help you.

Another option...return the one you have and purchase a convertor that will work with your existing wiring. You would need to add a receptacle and circuit breaker, but the rest is MUCH easier than what you are looking at now.

This is an example of the type I mean.

Also here and here.

Hello tanyj

In theory it is an easy addition, but at the same time, it can take some time and be confusing if you are not familar with the camper wiring and 12v wiring / 110v wiring in general.

I like NJTaco's idea of upgrading to the second type of converter.

The IOTA converter we use has a 110/120v plug on it that can plugged directly into the outlet under your sink area / or on your model it might be tucked up in the upper / outter refrigerator area, or behind the ice box.

That plug is hard wired directly to the plug on the outside of the camper, so when the camper is plugged in there, it will supply power to the converter as well.

Then you can connect a wire to the nutral bar, and the other 2 wires are red & balck (hot and ground) 12v wires that can be hooked directly up to your fuse 12v fuse block in your cabinets.

It is a tight area to work in, so if you spend the extra time to take the cabinet face off, it might be time well spent to make the job easier.

If you don't mind setting the converter on the ground outside, you could hard wire an extension cord to it, use the circut breaker, and put the small outside camper plug on it. That way you could plug the converter into the plug that ties the truck & camper together. This is not the best way. It will look a bit crude, sloppy, and would not be safe in wet weather. But pretty quick & easy. We have one like this lying around. We used it at trade shows to power the campers back in the days before we were installing power converters standard.

You might be able to hard wire a 110v plug on the 110v wires to your converter as well for ease of plugging it in, instead of hard wiring into the camper system. But following their direction for the proper installation would be the best way to go.

I know this might not be enough info to jump right in, but without the camper being here it might be the best I can do for the moment.

I hope it help.

Talk to you later.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 351
Thanks, NJ & Stan. The book you listed isn't what came with the converter i got, so maybe that's a huge part of my problem. Returning what i bought isn't an option, as I've had it sitting here for a couple months, and wasn't in a huge rush to dive into it. I need to get it done by April, for our Jamboree at Seymour.

Huge help folks, but keep it coming. Maybe I'll post up the aftermath of the install in a few weeks, if the weather lets me. If not, I'll send smoke signals.

Back
Top Bottom