HELP, What step combo do U use to enter & exit camper?

pvstoy

Please if you could show me some pictures, or explain what you use to get in and out of your camper that would help us out a lot.

I have a friend with a FWC and his back lately has been giving him fits. I want to make it easy and safer to enter and exit his camper. His FWC sits on a 2002 Toyota Tundra.

Here are some words that might help explain what he might need. I don’t know what all is available out there, so please chime in. Thanks.

I was thinking the 3 step "Little Jumbo Safety Step" or "Little Giant Safety Step Ladder" might work. It’s a little heavy and would have to take the safety bar off, but what came to mind is that there may not be enough room between the fridge and couch to lay the stepladder down flat. Not sure about having a platform outside the door. I think it better for me to still be able to step up into the camper. Same for getting out. No matter what we end up with, I'm going to have to sort of crawl in and out so as to not have to lift my leg and dip my head and back at the same time.

I've been using a heavy duty step that fits into my receiver and allows another receiver to fit into the end of it so I can leave it in place and still pull a trailer. It is heavy, about 40 lbs. Seems to work pretty well. Not at home but will post a pic if I can.

I've never used one of these but I planned on making one for my camper. Check out the pictures below. If he wanted an honest to god ladder, I think I'd go for a regular step ladder. I work maintenance for a school and the bus drivers have to get in to the buses by the back door when the buses are locked up. I went to my local tool rental place and special orderd 300 lb limit 3 step step ladders that reach right up to the back door. Light weight, compact, etc. I would imagine it would be a hell of a lot liter than anything from little giant. Check out Green Bull, Louisville ladder, or Warner ladder's web site and you might find one that'll work. Good luck to you and your friend!

Rick

Attachments

• 2step01.jpg
    2step01.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,567
  • 2step02.jpg
    2step02.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,569
Here is my 2 step ladder. I do like stepping up into the door rather than having a step level with the door but I wouln't mind having a 3 step ladder. It does lay flat on the floor.
Jim

Attachments

• 20070217_sm1.jpg
    20070217_sm1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,646
Steps

I have the steps pictured in WarpathEngineering's post. In place, the top step is almost touching the bumper and is level with the indentation in the bumper where the license plate mounts, which almost doubles the surface area of the step. The only draw back is the lower step could possibly drag on a fairly steep incline.
I also carry a two step plastic ladder to adjust the window covers, raise and lower the radio antenna, and tuck in the sides when I lower the roof.

I'll post a picture of both soon.

I'm in the process of designing a hitch mounted cargo carrier with built in steps. The lower step will fold up when traveling to increase clearance.

Ward

Thanks;

Thanks for your post so far, please keep them comming.

I gave my friend this link and will be also viewing. We might get the perfect combo for his needs.

One step is OK. We use it to reach the flaps too. Pick one up at WalMart on your next boondock.

Attachments

• Step.jpg
    Step.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,490
steps

Here is a couple of pics of the step that we just got in. I just haven't added it to our price list yet.

The two step and one step that are shown in the upper pics are available at Wal Mart. K Mart also carries a two step plastic step that is heavy duty and that you can reach the outside flaps with.

Any of these will work for getting in and out of the camper.

Hints for getting in and out are, go into the camper walking forward up the steps and duck for the door.

If you back out of the camper you will find it easier on yourself also instead of going out of the camper forward.

Draw back to the step pictured below is that you cannot use the receiver with the step in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2209 comp.JPG
    IMG_2209 comp.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_2210 comp.JPG
    IMG_2210 comp.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,474
The grab handle next to the door is almost as important as the step for getting into the camper.

Step...

After using a homemade hitch mounted step for a while we built the porch rig for the receiver. I still use a small step like the one John D uses to access the hitch mounted porch however I will add a step that swings up out of the way yet lays flat so you would not have to deploy it for a quick entry/exit.

We left for our Mexico/C.A. trip with a sweet folding steel footstool and it got left at a federale checkpoint as did the next one we bought. I find that when the guys are grouped around the back of the rig with their submachine guns and one of them is inside rooting around through my stuff and asking if I will sell him AA batteries, I get too distracted to have a step not attached to the rig.

That's story and I'm sticking to it! It damn sure can't be age and a sloppy mind.

Attachments

• Arkansas rally and camper 025.jpg
    Arkansas rally and camper 025.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 936
Right now I just have a 2-step wooden ladder for driveway use, but plan to weld up a little step to go in my receiver.

Finally got picture of step. Main shaft going into receiver is solid steel. Being able to have step and tow is convenient. I have no idea where this is available. I would like to modify it with storage on each side like Brian.

I've been using a heavy duty step that fits into my receiver and allows another receiver to fit into the end of it so I can leave it in place and still pull a trailer. It is heavy, about 40 lbs. Seems to work pretty well. Not at home but will post a pic if I can.

Attachments

• step.JPG
    step.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 859
Thanks Kilroy,

I like that. My friend also has an Yakima two bike rack that swings out to the right. The models that slide into his hitch would not allow to have the bike rack. This gives an idea, but would also put the bike rack further away from the camper. What ever we can come up with it looks like a custom fab to fit his needs. The wheels are turning:rolleyes:

step...

Kilroy,
My rack does not provide for an additional trailer hitch receiver. I just remove it when I pull a trailer....which is very seldom actually. I have a flatbed trailer that I haul a couple of motorcycles with and will bolt a couple of ammo cans on it for storage and a small non-slip step on the tongue when I next use it.
Brian

Kilroy, If you want to get rid of that step, contact me.

Finally got picture of step. Main shaft going into receiver is solid steel. Being able to have step and tow is convenient. I have no idea where this is available. I would like to modify it with storage on each side like Brian.

Your step is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't weld, but several friends do and would make me one if I provided the materials. If you don't want to sell it (can't say as I blame you on that part), would you be willing to take a few more pictures, say of the bottom and side with a tape measure for reference?

Can do on the pics but it will be a few days. Getting ready to head home from FL tomorrow. If I sold it I think there would be a revolt from the wife. I seem to trailer fairly often when the FWC is on, sail boat or Jeep, so set up works good for me. Only change I would like to incorporate is storage on sides. I already sticks out anyway.

I think it will be fairly easy to duplicate, just need a few materials

Your step is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't weld, but several friends do and would make me one if I provided the materials. If you don't want to sell it (can't say as I blame you on that part), would you be willing to take a few more pictures, say of the bottom and side with a tape measure for reference?

Can do on the pics but it will be a few days. Getting ready to head home from FL tomorrow. If I sold it I think there would be a revolt from the wife. I seem to trailer fairly often when the FWC is on, sail boat or Jeep, so set up works good for me. Only change I would like to incorporate is storage on sides. I already sticks out anyway.

I think it will be fairly easy to duplicate, just need a few materials

I appreciate that and fully understand the need to deal with the here-and-now business of life. In the mean time, I found the following website (I don't know if it's new or I just didn't see it when I was looking for hitch mounted steps before)
which may fulfill my needs and I thought others might like to see as well.

http://canineauto.com/twistep.htm

I found the following website (I don't know if it's new or I just didn't see it when I was looking for hitch mounted steps before)
which may fulfill my needs and I thought others might like to see as well.

http://canineauto.com/twistep.htm

Cool, thanks for that link. That is a great idea!

Now if I can weld up a second reciever next to the main for a Yakima bike carrier that swings out, that might work. The brain is thinking.

Second receiver

I was kind of thinking the same thing. On the other hand, I have a simple receiver mount bike rack which can break down very easily, and maybe I can mount a step to the bottom of the draw bar, then when in camp, remove the vertical riser, turn it upside down and have a step similar to Kilroy's, but without the ability to attach another draw bar to it (I really like that capability). I think it's time to go out and stare at the rack and truck for a while...

Back
Top Bottom