Help with 2023 Silverado 2500HD heavy wire connection

HHM

I am swapping my Alaskan from my 2006 2500HD Duramax to a 2023 2500HD Duramax.
I wired the old truck to dc-dc Victron charger in the camper with a 6AWG positive charging cable to a common battery connection under the hood with a 50 amp fused link.
It charges 2 100ah lithium batteries while the engine is running and amperage is up. The dc-dc charger reads the amperage from the alternators to function.
Also has solar setup.
I would like to run another 6AWG wire in the new truck the same way since the truck camper wiring is only 10 gauge and a long way to the batteries.
I don't think it will be sufficient to charge the batteries
Looking under the hood I don't see an obvious common connection after the dual alternators.
Any recommendations on the connection location, I don't want to mess up the complex computer systems.
Thanks

Dual batteries too in the new truck? I would connect to either of the batteries. Closest to the camper makes sense.

Dual batteries too in the new truck? I would connect to either of the batteries. Closest to the camper makes sense.
If I connect directly to one of the batteries will the dc-dc charger know when the truck is running and the alternator is at a specific minimum amperage?

yes. The alternator are directly connected to the battery. Rather than hunting for a connection point, use the factory ones provided or the battery posts directly.

Lots of options on the new fuse busses attached to the top of the batteries. The aux battery has a untapped stud that looks promising...

I used a MRBF (marine rated battery fuse) holder attached to one of my truck batteries. I was able to attach to an unused stud on on of my two truck batteries. see Amazon.com It worked well and gives one a fuse right at the start of the wire. A lug on the thick wire attaches directly to the fuse holder. Worked great.

Figuring out the little practical things, like how to attach the heavy wire to the battery, turns out to be the trickier part of any of these types of projects. I bet you'll enjoy the new truck.

I used a MRBF (marine rated battery fuse) holder attached to one of my truck batteries. I was able to attach to an unused stud on on of my two truck batteries. see Amazon.com It worked well and gives one a fuse right at the start of the wire. A lug on the thick wire attaches directly to the fuse holder. Worked great.

Figuring out the little practical things, like how to attach the heavy wire to the battery, turns out to be the trickier part of any of these types of projects. I bet you'll enjoy the new truck.
I had good results with a Blueseas breaker under the hood on the previous truck. This truck has a cover over the battery buss bars with little space under the covers. I thought about a marine fuse but will use the breaker again. Looking forward to getting on the road.

Back
Top Bottom