Help with FWC Hawk Shell Build (Delivered!)

Wow, a couple of guys are really trying to help ATC brand out by suggesting these things on the FWC specific thread!

(Just an observation, go ahead and fire away!)

OP stated FWC has said they will not wire something he wanted. Posters mentioned ATC might and its worth checking. The only take away FWC should have here is consider pricing something a customer wants in a shell if they want to have the happIEST customer possible.

The Blue Sea is standard equipment in FWC campers. I don't find the Atwood furnace that noisy, but we each have our own tolerances.

The Blue Sea fuse box is standard in the full camper builds. The OP is wanting a shell, in which FWC uses the older Bussman(?) fuse hubs. My shell is a model year 2013 with the old style fuse box. I should have had them use the Blue Sea, even if it was a couple bucks more.

Hi Cole, I have an Eagle shell model and very limited building skills. Check out my two posts in the archives for pictures and ideas: "Eagle Shell Amateur Buildout" - 6/4/2012(page 12) and "How to install a sink in a FWC shell model" - 8/22/2012.(Page 9) You will notice there is lots of storage under the counter. for food, water,small camp kitchen,etc.

Your option list looks good. I would add the mechanical jacks "even though camper will be on most of time" as when you need them you will have them and the prices increase every year, a awning (either FWC Fiamma or the ATC model) because of the rainy Oregon weather, a second roof vent over the bed (more ventilation on hot nights), and a second solar plug on the back wall.

I made a "settee" couch using the existing wheel well cover, folding wood extension, FWC couch cushions and bed cushions for back support.

If you buy a FWC talk to Terry Budd (service manager). He has been an excellent resource for me.

Solar panels
... are expensive!!! Check out www.solarblvd.com (recommended by a fellow user). I bought a 100 watt panel(Solar Cynergy 12 volt - $145) and a Morningstar Sunsaver SS10L 10 Amp, 12 volt Charge Controller $56.16. And 50 feet of #12 twisted cable (need two spools one red one black). to charge my camper battery. Currently I'm using the rear wall plug as I try to camp under trees to have shade. Shade decreasess the amount of sunlight the panel needs to charge your battery. You can start out using it as portable then install it on the roof if needed (I'm using it as a portable unit so far).

ENGLE REFRIGERATOR
Have an RV tech install a 12 volt plug (#10 wire ad 10amp Fuse)directly to the battery. Have your tech wire it to be on all the time within 6 feet of where you decide to locate the fridge. We have a side couch so keep the Engle MT35 on the floor at the front of the camper.

Water: weight is an issue for me. At 8 pounds a gallon it adds up fast. when I boondock in the desert for a week I carry 2- 3 gal cans from Reliance (have to buy on line). 3-1 gal and 2-2.5 gal bottles from grocery store. Smaller bottles are easier to store than couple large ones.

If this is your first camper you will quickly discover how little room you will have especially for 3 people and the dog. You will spend most of your time out doors at developed campsites that have tables and fire rings. In Oregon weather an awning will keep the rain off. Buy a portable screen room to put over the table (keeps rain off and buggs away) Cook and eat out of the weather. and maybe a folding table if you boondock in undeveloped camping spots.

Hope all this helps.

Hi Cole, I have an Eagle shell model and very limited building skills. Check out my two posts in the archives for pictures and ideas: "Eagle Shell Amateur Buildout" - 6/4/2012(page 12) and "How to install a sink in a FWC shell model" - 8/22/2012.(Page 9) You will notice there is lots of storage under the counter. for food, water,small camp kitchen,etc.

Your option list looks good. I would add the mechanical jacks "even though camper will be on most of time" as when you need them you will have them and the prices increase every year, a awning (either FWC Fiamma or the ATC model) because of the rainy Oregon weather, a second roof vent over the bed (more ventilation on hot nights), and a second solar plug on the back wall.

I made a "settee" couch using the existing wheel well cover, folding wood extension, FWC couch cushions and bed cushions for back support.

If you buy a FWC talk to Terry Budd (service manager). He has been an excellent resource for me.

Solar panels
... are expensive!!! Check out www.solarblvd.com (recommended by a fellow user). I bought a 100 watt panel(Solar Cynergy 12 volt - $145) and a Morningstar Sunsaver SS10L 10 Amp, 12 volt Charge Controller $56.16. And 50 feet of #12 twisted cable (need two spools one red one black). to charge my camper battery. Currently I'm using the rear wall plug as I try to camp under trees to have shade. Shade decreasess the amount the panel needs to charge your battery. You can start out using it as portable then install it on the roof if needed (I'm using it as a portable unit so far).

ENGLE REFRIGERATOR
Have an RV tech install a 12 volt plug (#10 wire ad 10amp Fuse)directly to the battery. Have your tech wire it to be on all the time within 6 feet of where you decide to locate the fridge. We have a side couch so keep the Engle MT35 on the floor at the front of the camper.

Water: weight is an issue for me. At 8 pounds a gallon it adds up fast. when I boondock in the desert for a week I carry 2- 3 gal cans from Reliance (have to buy on line). 3-1 gal and 2-2.5 gal bottles from grocery store. Smaller bottles are easier to store than couple large ones.

If this is your first camper you will quickly discover how little room you will have especially for 3 people and the dog. You will spend most of your time out doors at developed campsites that have tables and fire rings. In Oregon weather an awning will keep the rain off. Buy a portable screen room to put over the table (keeps rain off and buggs away) Cook and eat out of the weather. and maybe a folding table if you boondock in undeveloped camping spots.

Hope all this helps.

This definitely helps Jim. Thanks! I have been following your build and think you're doing some great things with your camper.

I put it my order last week. Here is my list:

FWC Hawk Shell
12 Volt Accessory Outlets
Screen Door
Furnace
Steel Brackets
Fantastic Fan
2 Burner Stove
Front Dinette w/ Swivel Table
Aux Side Passenger Light
Solar Plug (Roof )
Auxiliary Battery System
Gas Struts
Halogen rear flood lights

Now I'm thinking I should add that second vent in the roof. It makes sense to get as much ventilation as possible in these units.

I completely agree that the awning is in my future but I couldn't add it into the initial build due to our budget. I have a second stage build planned for next year. Hopefully adding the awning, arctic pack and if we have the need, the yakima tracks (we don't right at this moment.

This is our first camper but after three years of looking at campers online I am aware that floor space is very hard to come by in these pop-ups. I'm really trying to emphasis backpack style truck camping to my wife :LOL:. I can't believe how much gear a kid requires these days. Nevertheless, we are really trying to scrutinize every piece of gear we put in the camper.

Thank you for the Engel advice on the wiring. I'm trying to figure out where to put that thing as we speak. We will not purchase the fridge this camping season though so we'll have some time to think about it while using the camper. Haven't gotten away from the dang coleman cooler yet!

We have a resin type table from costco that we use as our outside camp kitchen but I will definitely get a bug screen room at some point like you mentioned.

I like your water solution in different size containers. I have two 7 gallon reliance jugs now that I can already see that getting old quickly. I've been looks at 5 gallon and smaller jugs. I'm trying to keep the weight low as well since my Tundra doesn't have much payload.

Solar is coming next next year hopefully! I'll bookmark your link for later!

I know I will regret not getting the mechanical jacks right now but I'll just have to make a run down to FWC in the fall and pick those up.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll take another look at your sink build when our camper arrives and we realize we want a sink. :D

This is gonna be a long wait.....

I debated on getting a second roof vent and decided against it. You really don't need it. A second one also takes up roof space. I have Yakima racks for my kayak and plan to add an basket. Another roof vent would make it difficult to do that.

I can't believe how much gear a kid requires these days.

Just wait till your child starts wanting to "Do Daddy Things" then getting good enough to warrent "Daddy Like" gear...

Congratulations on your order. Use it often, your child will thank you someday....

I like your water solution in different size containers. I have two 7 gallon reliance jugs now that I can already see that getting old quickly. I've been looks at 5 gallon and smaller jugs. I'm trying to keep the weight low as well since my Tundra doesn't have much payload.

We have the FrontRunner footwell water tank. It holds about 11 gallons and sits on the floor in front of the back seat in our Tacoma. Keeps the weight low and forward. We like it. We keep a gallon jug in the fridge for drinking water and refill it from the tank as we need it.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/Water-Solutions/FRONT-RUNNER-FOOTWELL-WATER-TANK-40L-10-57-Gallons-p170.html

Just wait till your child starts wanting to "Do Daddy Things" then getting good enough to warrent "Daddy Like" gear...

Congratulations on your order. Use it often, your child will thank you someday....

Thank you sir. I've been thinking about future father/son trips in the camper when mom needs some recharge time. Not sure exactly what age that happens but I'll be ready! I hadn't thought of his gear yet... If he wants to do anything I'm into, I will make sure we encourage that!

We have the FrontRunner footwell water tank. It holds about 11 gallons and sits on the floor in front of the back seat in our Tacoma. Keeps the weight low and forward. We like it. We keep a gallon jug in the fridge for drinking water and refill it from the tank as we need it.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/Water-Solutions/FRONT-RUNNER-FOOTWELL-WATER-TANK-40L-10-57-Gallons-p170.html

Dude, this is weird. I was just admiring that water tank you have while reading your blog last night. That thing is sweet and has me drooling!

Great trip you two had out west! Your "Stoner" dog post had me laughing out loud. Glad Rocky had a full and speedy recovery. I can't believe the tech instantly knew the problem. That is one crazy city. The tacoma looked to be the perfect size for navigating around there.

I also like your efficient outdoor kitchen setup. Nice. Great place for the propane and gas line. What kind of stove is that? What kind of table is that?

Also, great shots of those elk! They looked to be pretty close. Great stuff.

I debated on getting a second roof vent and decided against it. You really don't need it. A second one also takes up roof space. I have Yakima racks for my kayak and plan to add an basket. Another roof vent would make it difficult to do that.

Thanks for this opinion too. We do have a plan to get a canoe or kayak down the line so keeping the roof uncluttered is probably the route to go for us.

Dude, this is weird. I was just admiring that water tank you have while reading your blog last night. That thing is sweet and has me drooling!

Great trip you two had out west! Your "Stoner" dog post had me laughing out loud. Glad Rocky had a full and speedy recovery. I can't believe the tech instantly knew the problem. That is one crazy city. The tacoma looked to be the perfect size for navigating around there.

I also like your efficient outdoor kitchen setup. Nice. Great place for the propane and gas line. What kind of stove is that? What kind of table is that?

Also, great shots of those elk! They looked to be pretty close. Great stuff.

The stove is this one: http://partnersteel.com/LG02.htm

The table is this one: http://www.rei.com/product/813204/rio-adventure-compact-expandable-table

Thanks for the nice comments on the blog too.

This definitely helps Jim. Thanks! I have been following your build and think you're doing some great things with your camper.

I put it my order last week. Here is my list:

FWC Hawk Shell
Screen Door
Furnace
Steel Brackets
Fantastic Fan
2 Burner Stove
Aux Side Passenger Light
Solar Plug (Roof )
Auxiliary Battery System
Gas Struts
Halogen rear flood lights

Now I'm thinking I should add that second vent in the roof. It makes sense to get as much ventilation as possible in these units.

I completely agree that the awning is in my future but I couldn't add it into the initial build due to our budget. I have a second stage build planned for next year. Hopefully adding the awning, arctic pack and if we have the need, the yakima tracks (we don't right at this moment.

This is our first camper but after three years of looking at campers online I am aware that floor space is very hard to come by in these pop-ups. I'm really trying to emphasis backpack style truck camping to my wife :LOL:. I can't believe how much gear a kid requires these days. Nevertheless, we are really trying to scrutinize every piece of gear we put in the camper.

Thank you for the Engel advice on the wiring. I'm trying to figure out where to put that thing as we speak. We will not purchase the fridge this camping season though so we'll have some time to think about it while using the camper. Haven't gotten away from the dang coleman cooler yet!

We have a resin type table from costco that we use as our outside camp kitchen but I will definitely get a bug screen room at some point like you mentioned.

Solar is coming next next year hopefully! I'll bookmark your link for later!

I know I will regret not getting the mechanical jacks right now but I'll just have to make a run down to FWC in the fall and pick those up.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll take another look at your sink build when our camper arrives and we realize we want a sink. :D

This is gonna be a long wait.....

Cole, congratulations on joining the FWC family.
You and your young family will have a lot of fun camping and exploring. We have 4 kids and 6 grandkids. We started taking our son about age one, his port-a-crib, and the rest of the stuff babies need. We were sleeping in a tent at Pismo Beach and enjoying our VW powered sand buggy. Been camping over 49 years now. at 69 I'm still "tweaking" my newest camper(Eagle). Since your back-packers you know about weight and minimalist camping which you will still need to do in the Hawk.

Your full size Tundra will be up to the weight as stock rear suspension is rated at 1790 pounds (access cab). My Eagle shell weighs 900 pounds empty with the Engel and porta-potty. I would suggest you have the Tundra weighed without the tailgate, then again after the camper is mounted. As you add components increase the amount to give you true weight.

Shell model is the best because you only buy what you need for your type of camping. In our tiny 67" wide by 10.5 (inside dimension) foot long camper, we have a queen size bed, couch, sink, stove, refrigerator, porta-potty and plenty of storage and walk-around room for two people. We live outside in the spring and summer and only inside occassionally when its raining or blowing in the winter.

Building the inside of Hawk:

I copied the standard layout for the kitchen model Eagle (downsizing as needed to increase the storage and access). You can do the same for the Hawk shell using the layout for the kitchen Hawk.

With the table cross wise in front you will have about 50" front to back on either side to work with. You said you ordered the furnace (?). stock Location is in the rear drivers side. The Refrige is installed on top of it. FWC will make you a 4-sided box with finished top that you can use for storage now-then add an 12 volt/110AC compressor front door Engel refrig (www.engelus com) later. Purchase the counter from FWC and mount it between the fridge box and small cabinet (FWC includes one with their kitchen model with dinette) or vertical panel (Right side). Put in the stock FWC sink ($85). Add a sink cutting board. Add a one burner portable Coleman stove. Prepare and cook simple meals. You will have storage under the counter.

Passenger side: 50 inches should give you enough room to store a porta-potty (Large Thetford - 17" high works well)and storage. Install another counter accross top. At night we slide the potty out of its day storage place and set it in front of the door.

We utilize the truck to store clothes, misc items that you carry going down the road. Your 4-door has a large back seat you can utilize for many of the baby items.

Happy camping

The stove is this one: http://partnersteel.com/LG02.htm

The table is this one: http://www.rei.com/product/813204/rio-adventure-compact-expandable-table

Thanks for this info. Nice gear. I think we have many more years with our coleman stove but that looks nice!

Now I have to find a way to make sure our Costco table "has an accident" so I can get one of those fold-able ones. That seems like the way to go!

Cole, congratulations on joining the FWC family.
You and your young family will have a lot of fun camping and exploring. We have 4 kids and 6 grandkids. We started taking our son about age one, his port-a-crib, and the rest of the stuff babies need. We were sleeping in a tent at Pismo Beach and enjoying our VW powered sand buggy. Been camping over 49 years now. at 69 I'm still "tweaking" my newest camper(Eagle). Since your back-packers you know about weight and minimalist camping which you will still need to do in the Hawk.

Your full size Tundra will be up to the weight as stock rear suspension is rated at 1790 pounds (access cab). My Eagle shell weighs 900 pounds empty with the Engel and porta-potty. I would suggest you have the Tundra weighed without the tailgate, then again after the camper is mounted. As you add components increase the amount to give you true weight.

Shell model is the best because you only buy what you need for your type of camping. In our tiny 67" wide by 10.5 (inside dimension) foot long camper, we have a queen size bed, couch, sink, stove, refrigerator, porta-potty and plenty of storage and walk-around room for two people. We live outside in the spring and summer and only inside occassionally when its raining or blowing in the winter.

Building the inside of Hawk:

I copied the standard layout for the kitchen model Eagle (downsizing as needed to increase the storage and access). You can do the same for the Hawk shell using the layout for the kitchen Hawk.

With the table cross wise in front you will have about 50" front to back on either side to work with. You said you ordered the furnace (?). stock Location is in the rear drivers side. The Refrige is installed on top of it. FWC will make you a 4-sided box with finished top that you can use for storage now-then add an 12 volt/110AC compressor front door Engel refrig (www.engelus com) later. Purchase the counter from FWC and mount it between the fridge box and small cabinet (FWC includes one with their kitchen model with dinette) or vertical panel (Right side). Put in the stock FWC sink ($85). Add a sink cutting board. Add a one burner portable Coleman stove. Prepare and cook simple meals. You will have storage under the counter.

Passenger side: 50 inches should give you enough room to store a porta-potty (Large Thetford - 17" high works well)and storage. Install another counter accross top. At night we slide the potty out of its day storage place and set it in front of the door.

We utilize the truck to store clothes, misc items that you carry going down the road. Your 4-door has a large back seat you can utilize for many of the baby items.

Happy camping

Thanks Jim, this is a ton to think about. I appreciate all of the advice. I'll post some pics when I pick up the Hawk and start a build thread as we figure out exactly what setup we want.

I think I read that you are planning on going to Overland Expo, if so, have a great time! We're hoping to make it out next year. Please take some photos!

I realized I hadn't given an update on a few things in this thread.

FWC got back to me and is going to wire to the passenger side of the camper per my request. I will also be getting a blue sea 12 volt fusebox as recommended by Frosty_01.

Beyond excited about this build and I'm glad that FWC offered to make these changes for me.

Stay tuned...

Hello Small Army of Pop-up Truck Campers,

First off, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. Your trip reports, DIY guides, and general information on pop-up truck campers has been really helpful and inspiring for my wife and I. I have been visiting this site for years now and it's looking like it is time for my young family to get in on some of this truck camping dream living!

The stats:

-Me and my wife, 8 month old son, and pit/lab mix.

-2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 4x4. I have e-rated BFG All-Terrains and need to get air bags or timbrens. I plan on leaving the camper on the truck for the most part.

-Bend, Oregon

Style of camping:

We are shifting from backpacking to family camping. We are comfortable with minimal gear but wanted the warmth and reduced set up time that a FWC provides. We live in Bend, OR and it can get chilly here at night year round. My wife and I want to camp often without worrying about the cold with our little guy. If she needs to nurse in the middle of the night, I want it to be comfortable for them etc. We got into a bunch of different FWC's at the last Portland Sportsmans Shows and we both felt that the hawk was spacious enough for us and our needs. We loved the utilitarian feel of the camper as we aren't looking for a full on RV.

After reading hundreds of threads I weighed the pros and cons of our particular situation and felt that the shell was our best option. Frankly, we can't afford a full on FWC anyway so that made it easy!

Below is our current option list. Any additional options will have to be critical as our budget is stretched as is. If you think we can save money somewhere, that will be very appreciated! I am not that handy myself but I have some friends that are. I'm sure they would help us out on a project. The two big options we have below are the furnace and front dinette. I really wanted a safe, vented heating set up from the factory so I'm pretty set on that. The front dinette is also one of the main features my wife liked at the show and I like that we get another bed in the camper as well for the dog or if it's just me and a buddy. I also like the open floor space that this setup provides with the swivel table being mounted to the wall. The interior layout I'm going for is like Frosty_01's recent hawk shell build (those tracks on the floor/bench are great!).

I would like to add an Engel mt45 fridge at some point so keep that in mind too. I was thinking of figuring out a way to set it up directly across from the furnace cabinet on the passenger side. I figured this could both balance the weight and my wife and I like this layout in general too. I was told that FWC won't wire for the fridge on that side in a shell so I will have to figure out how to do that down the road I guess.(Update: FWC ended up offering to wire to the passenger side of the camper so I'm all set)

Our current build:

FWC Hawk Shell
Screen Door
Furnace
Jack Brackets (aluminum)
Fantastic Fan
2 Burner Stove
10' Yakima tracks only
Solar Plug (Roof )
Auxiliary Battery System
Gas Struts

Thanks in advance for looking this build over. After all the time I have spent on this forum, I didn't feel it was right to order one of these bad boys without consulting all of you first. Hopefully I can start contributing some trip reports in about 6 weeks!

I have an '03 Tundra and a Hawk shell. I tour solo, so I have plenty room and load capacity. I have found this to be a great combo so far. As you mentioned, you will need something to help the stock springs carry the load. If you get the Firestone air bags, don't forget the Daystar air bag cradles. The Firestone bag mounts were not designed for rough terrain travel and the Daystar cradles fix that over site and issue. Cradles do cost more than bolts but are better IMHO. Happy trails

I have an '03 Tundra and a Hawk shell. I tour solo, so I have plenty room and load capacity. I have found this to be a great combo so far. As you mentioned, you will need something to help the stock springs carry the load. If you get the Firestone air bags, don't forget the Daystar air bag cradles. The Firestone bag mounts were not designed for rough terrain travel and the Daystar cradles fix that over site and issue. Cradles do cost more than bolts but are better IMHO. Happy trails

Thanks for this info. I have never heard of the Daystar cradles. I will look into them asap as the air bags are hopefully arriving today.

Glad the Hawk shell is working out for you. I bet its perfect for solo trips. We want to see a trip report asap! This wait is already very difficult and I'm only 2 weeks in!!!

Ok, quick question. I just realized that whether it's a future canoe/watercraft or a roof top box, I'm gonna need a yakima/thule system for some trips. I just added the "10' Yakima extended tracks only" to my FWC Hawk shell build.

Is it pretty plug and play to add the yakima landing pad and control towers later? Or will I have to do some roof resealing etc. Got a little thrown off by the post below from another thread.

Today I decided to try out my factory installed Yakima roof tracks on the camper. In order to install the mounting hardware for the cross bars (landing pads) I need to remove the end caps on the tracks. The hitch is that the end caps are screwed into the roof and sealed with a bead of caulk. Nothing is every easy!

I am looking for suggestions as to the type of caulk that I should use when I put things back together. The caulk that they used at the factory is a natural rubber color and very flexible. Thanks.

Steve

Not really wanting to reseal the roof etc. and want to know if I should just bite the bullet and order the whole yakima system from FWC.

We now pre-install the anchor plates for the landing pads. Seen here as the four rectangular nuts. All you would need to do is screw down the landing pads.

We now pre-install the anchor plates for the landing pads. Seen here as the four rectangular nuts. All you would need to do is screw down the landing pads.

Sweet. I have the technical skills to do that ;)

Thanks JBahr!

You'll like the Yak tracks, Cole. :) Lot's of options from there.

In less than three years, I've used them for bikes (bad idea), kayaks, emergency spare tire storage, and a basket at one time or another. Bikes hanging off the back is much better than roof mount. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom