High winds, any problems?

bike4mee

I've recently returned from a month long baja trip with my 4wc Kestral on a 03 tundra. It was fantastic down there. It is nice to have the peace of mind getting down on the playa (beaches) with 4wd to get you out. There is a lot of sprinter vans these days. We helped dig a few of these guys out.
My question is; what is the wind velocity max that the popped up 4wc can take? We were in 40mph winds on the beach many of the days with no problems. Anybody ever heard of a 4wc having wind collapse problems? What would be the weak point? What would be the best orientation into the wind?

We've only been in the wind speed you've listed, but I know that more than one FWC owner has reported accidentally driving down the freeway fully deployed with no problems, so perhaps 70 MPH winds could be the topper?

The classic case is the driver on Hwy 395 going north bound at 65 mph against a 40 mph head wind with the top up.
I can't count how many times I've seen both FWC and ATC owners do that.
With me going south bound leaning out the driver's window pointing alternative to my roof and their roof, to no avail.
The roof stayed up for as long as I could see them approaching me and then as they disappeared in my rear view window.

Nice photos! Where was that? We have had the 2011 Eagle in winds up to 40 + Mph as well all a-ok. if it is possible (in the woods near a lake hard to orient the truck where one wants) on a beach setting I would try to orient it to either of the front two corners so a "V" positioning offering a rear door easy opening, a shelter area and a cleave to there brunt of the wind. takes the stress off the panel and stop the broadside shake.

Since this question comes up time and time again, perhaps a FWC owner would conduct an experiment to find that elusive failure point owners are seeking to know? :)

I have only read here about owners growing concerned during strong winds, some dropping the top to possibly prevent damage. I don't remember anyone reporting an actual failure or damage.

I've done the 70mph on the highway thing... :oops: No issues with the top's strength/stability.

When parked, think about where the wind is coming from. Popping the top/up down with a strong wind blowing into the back door could be surprising.

I have a speaker stand crank (carried in case I hurt my back) If I ever was in fear of it coming down I'd crank that stand up and go back to sleep!

Always interesting to hear about campers going down the road while popped up. I guess I could imagine me doing that sometime, but luckily many years of working around helicopters and fires has ingrained checklists so deeply in me that I feel nervous if I don't do a walk around and check the latches. Now if I could apply that to the rest of my life, it might go a bit easier!

Six latches LATCHED.
Five covers CLOSED.
Two vents CLOSED.

But... of course one time I didn't check and it popped up on the freeway. It's amazing what aerodynamics do to a popup, but fortunately FWC did a good job strengthening for high winds, at least from the front.

I hope I don't try driving out of our car port with the top up though... don't think it's designed for that.

The only problem I've had with wind was not being able to lower the top when the wind was coming from the rear. Turning the truck around solved the problem.

camelracer said:
The only problem I've had with wind was not being able to lower the top when the wind was coming from the rear. Turning the truck around solved the problem.
Close your back door, windows & vents. Open one ceiling vent and turn its fan on high exhaust to put air pressure to your advantage.

Paul

I have a appropriately sized 2X4 that I prop up against the roof as a fail-safe. I don't want the roof to come down while I am sleeping. I'm a belt and suspenders guy.

I put a ribbon flag on on my steering wheel to remember the latches before take-off, along with one for remembering to pick up any leveling blocks and one for checking the refrigerator latch.

Interesting. I've been in some really nasty winds in Death Valley with no problem - don't know the mph. My greatest fear was addressed in this discussion - forgetting to put the top down and driving off. From Day 1 I've taken one of the elastic bands for the top and wrapped it around the steering wheel and the rear view mirror as a warning if I climb in the cab to drive away. Good to know it is not immediately imploding if it does happen.

Sometimes all the planning still doesn't help. My walkthrough failed me a while back when I left Dunderberg and got to Lee Vining and found the top partially popped up. I'm still unsure what happened, latched the rear and forgot the front? My final go around and missed it? Something distracted me. Probably the dog chasing something distracted me. Good thing these campers are tough.

You know Craig, the gods must of been not looking unfavorably at us because I did that too coming back from the coast on 299 a while back. I camped at one of those steep and awful noisy and loud USFS camp grounds next to the highway late the night before and wanted to get out fast that next morning because they were working on the road. Well did my walk around and usual checks but since I had to use my blocks to level up the truck somehow I forgot to make a final check or something-think it was because I was rushing around and trying to get out. Anyway off I took down 299 and about 25 or so many miles later a truck pulled up behind me and started to flash his lights, then passed me and both the driver and passenger started waving their arms out the windows to pull over. I did and the driver got out and said "Hey you forgot to latch down the your top and it is rocking up and down and trying to come off!"

I checked and every clamp but the one inside was not clamped down. More to the point of this thread-Ya know since I left the cg, I kept looking in my rear view mirror because the truck was feeling like I had a low rear tire or something and even worse I had stopped once right after I left to check them out-but never looked at the top! And me a very :oops: experienced pop-up user for more than 12 years had I blown it and had done a very rookie thing!!! Thanks to those guys I was saved from a bad situation turning worse!

Smoke

Whoa... I am a at times an over tightened nut about things ... lists and check lists and still I do dumb things when I am in a rush. Helps to know I am not the only one who does stuff like this on occasion. Just gotta learn to laugh at yourself and for me there are a number of opportunities.

buckland said:
Whoa... I am a at times an over tightened nut about things ... lists and check lists and still I do dumb things when I am in a rush. Helps to know I am not the only one who does stuff like this on occasion. Just gotta learn to laugh at yourself and for me there are a number of opportunities.
I think there are a bunch of us that could profit by laughing at ourselves. I’ll put myself in that number.

Back
Top Bottom