Honest Hydraulic system operation answer

Ripperj

I wondered how the roof raising and lowering goes on a new or well maintained camper.
I spent some time dialing in the flow control valves on my 8' cabover that I mostly built. The only Alaskan parts in the system are the upgrade(large) cylinders. It goes up and down smoothly, pretty fast in the up direction.
Right now it's kind of a stressful operation, either the front or the back seems to get ahead and I have to regroup.
The slides are currently dry as I have more caulking to do, plus the rear door, roof rack and solar are not installed, more weight in the back may help?
I have seen plenty of posts that indicate people either push or pull on the rear to keep things balanced.
Does anyone have one that just goes up and down with no effort, how about in a field where it's not perfectly level.

a hand on the upper door handle with minor pressure to balance any weight difference helps...I keep my system up and tidy...still get a little forward down now and then...no valves either....

i'm getting ready to upgrade the system on the new...er CO so this is timely..

It would seem as if new weight additions to the roof will require additional adjustments to the valves...but I would think that once it's dialed in...a steady hand on the handle is more like an engineer with a hand on the throttle

I'm still in awe from that build Ripperj

Making sure that all air bubbles are out is critical...little tiny air bubbles make a big difference

You might try stopping at a difficult point and checking the alignment of the guides all around...but you've probably already been there ;)

Rusty-thanks for the input/support

I'm still in awe too..about how many little details are left :)
I do have some air in the system, can't seem to get it all out. I believe I should have ensure the bottom of the cylinders were full of oil in the down position before trying to vent the system at the hydraulic connection at the cylinder base.
When going up or down there is not really a particular problem spot, it's kind of random.

My phone doesn't seem to work well with this site, all my formatting /paragraphing gets hosed up.

bleed the air from the top of the cylinders with the upper rod removed...as in when you're replacing the o-rings.

very slowly...with paper towels wrapped around the tubes...ask me how i know this.....HaHa

The bubbles travel very slowly through the oil but will get there....if you can block up the top section and remove all tubes at the same time it will make your life easier

What you may want to try....leave the top section blocked up overnight with the top tubes removed and the oil at the top of the cylinders.....check the level in the am...

Back
Top Bottom