horrible leak in 2019 fleet

beachbunny

Advanced Member
just got this rig,so far ,so good until last nights gale dumped a lot of rain.
all latches were latched properly,no canvas sticking out and the place was like a swimming pool, everything soaked, got a heater in it now and then will run a dehumidifier when i get my hands on one.
waiting for dealer to call back but figured i would check here also for wisdom.
only thing i could see was the nw corner seal was a little distorted, came that way

Attachments

• leak5.jpg
    leak5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 303
  • leak4.jpg
    leak4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 349
  • leak3.jpg
    leak3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 323
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 346
  • leak 1.jpg
    leak 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 295
That looks like a lot of water. :(

A few quick questions ...

* Roof vent closed all the way ?
* Side windows of the pop-up closed and good velcro seal ?
* Were you camping in the camper just before this happened?
* Have you looked up onto the roof to see if there are any holes you didn't know about ?
* Where you you live ?

We get a few campers come in each year with a roof leak, and we look up on the roof to find a hole in the aluminum roof skin.

Customer are quick to blame the camper, but they didn't know a tree branch or foreign object poked a hole in their camper roof. Usually a really easy fix.

Thanks for any additional info.

1 vent closed all way
2 velcro glue on left front window had seperated from the clear plastic, had to ducttape it while camping, dealer was going to send me glue ,have not gotten anything yet, i thought that might be the problem but the roof was closed
3 was camping a week before
4 was looking at yakima rack the other day, no obvious holes, will look again
5 md
heater and dehumidifier on
thanks

does the crimped corner seal picture have anything to do with it stan?
dealer said latches do not have to be gorilla tight which they were not

If this is the first time in the rain, then the roof tracks could be suspect. Screws not sealed. Water can drain to that side and follow a path to the inside.

pvstoy said:
If this is the first time in the rain, then the roof tracks could be suspect. Screws not sealed. Water can drain to that side and follow a path to the inside.
I agree. If not sealed correctly that could be it. When my 1998 Ranger II was new, I had some big leaks where the Yakima mounts were installed with the top loader rain gutter brackets that they used back then. They were wider than the roof tubing and the rocking side to side of the camper caused them to twist the tubing and work the aluminum roof to the point where it cracked. I had four 8" cracks to repair.

what kind of glue seals the clear plastic window to the velcro stan?
as i recall this rig was damp up there when i got it and i asked dealerr if that roof corner needed to be caulked and he said no

Back
Top Bottom