Horror Stories

Speaking of horror stories! Just was doing a channel check ,after relating to you guys my little adventure with my pop-ups' back door, and noted that Showtime X was showing again that extreme grizzer tale "Outback" again. If you have never seen it, it is a real horror story about what not to do when back packing in bear country (or for a matter of a fact any outdoor adventure). Don't know if it's true or not but it's about a couple of folks in the Canadian Rockies and their run in with a grizzer-lot's to learn about what happens if you lack common sense and go for a hike in the wrong place.

Smoke

My '55 GMC had recently thrown a rod so a one year-old Chevy 305/3-speed were now in it and an old slide in cab height camper affair in the back...but no 4x4. Coming from Bowman Lake going to Jackson Meadow Res...was a terrible road and at 8:30pm we came to the creek. It didn't look DEEP and wasn't more than maybe 20' wide so we started in....except after turning over some stones in the creek we started spinning the rear wheels.

Uh-oh...

After digging 'er in a bit more I figured we'd bunk in for the night and I'd walk out to get us a tow...could be a mile or three or ten or 20, whatever...There was no rain and hadn't been any and no chance of a flash flood so about the time I was getting the wife into my wet shoes to make the transit from cab to camper...I hear a vehicle coming and then see the bouncing lights.

Suffice it to say, the first thing I looked for was a winch on it (there was) and I hoped the driver would assist us (he did) and after hooking up my truck he pulled us out while I drove in 1st gear.

Nice guy, wouldn't take even a cold beer, just went on his way that night....which had taken us 6 hours to traverse back towards I-80.

I'd like to think he was just a Good Camper type like so many on the WTW seem to be....you help people if you can or send back help. He helped us and in about 30 minutes we were in a campground safe and secure...except for my freezing feet and wet tennis shoes!

Good Samaritans are out there!

Not too long after that an F150 4x4 was an upgrade and an 8' NCO AK made our trips easier....sure do wish I had that old '55 Jimmy though!

Ok I'll bite... Some pretty gnarly stories on here. Mine is lacking the risk of death by explosive dismemberment or freezing to death, but stressful in the moment I guess.

Couple weeks ago I wanted to rip out to Anza to see the flowers but also wanted to avoid all crowds if possible so I loaded the rig up with beer and one night's provisions and the dog and I took the F150 with FWC to do some exploring. I have regularly taken the Oriflame/Chariot Canyon road through BLM land from Banner as a fun way to get into the south side of the park. It scenic, a fun drive with few hazards and mostly granite stone roads.

There is one small creek crossing on the way out that usually is a trickle, but this year it was a steady flow. As I approached the creek and a steep uphill beyond it, I noticed an obvious deep rut on the left side which I knew I wanted to avoid. Problem was, there was a sizable willow hanging over the right side of the road with baseball bat sized branches that would have done some body/paint damage so I tried to thread the needle between the two but like a magnet, the camber of the road sucked me right into the rut and my rear hitch, rear axle and diff, and left side running gear thunked against the high ground. The angle of the truck also prevented me from opening my drivers side door as it was wedged against the reeds to my left.

CL9AlOA.jpg

I climbed over the center console and surveyed the situation over a cold beer. My two left tires were spinning aimlessly despite "a-trac's" attempt to use traction control to fake a locking diff. Both left tires were litereally burried to the top of the fender arches in black silty mud. Reversing was my only chance out w/o a winch.

My recovery gear was limited, but even what I had was fairly useless on my own. I had a come-along and two tow straps, but there were no trees behind me within reach, and even had there been I couldn't exactly put her in neutral and pull her backwards down the hill towards me. I busted out the shorty shovel and resigned myself to getting dirty. Took about an hour to bring the wheels and tire into the daylight again, but the silt under the wheels was so soft any attempt to back out was feeble.

No one had been by in the hour 1/2 I had been sitting there and it was getting dark on a Tuesday night so I began thinking about settling in for the night, but my camper was so tilted, sleeping inside would have been tough. Not to mention I was covered in mud. Just then I remembered watching a youtube video of a simple recovery method and figured I would give it a try as a last resort:

I didn't have a 2x4, but I did have some firewood and an ax and I threw together a bush fix and ratchet strapped a thin log to each of the slipping wheels and climbed into the driver's seat for one last go. My dog watched in amazement as the logs bit just enough of the silty soil and the sides of the rut to back me out of the hole!

zlahZkX.jpg

Now all that had to be done was using the hand saw I had with me to remove as much of the hanging willow as I can to make damn sure I didn't slide over again. Got around it without a problem! Just had some minor door damage, but was happy to be out of there.

I had a quick outdoor shower to celebrate and made my way into the park uneventfully. It was a fun solo adventure and the views at sunrise the next morning were more than worth it!

hxPJJtI.jpg

P1Y0xNW.jpg

I remember seeing that video. Good job in a tough situation! A little creativity goes a long way. Thanks for the story and pictures.

craig333 said:
The downside to all terrain tires. Did you try airing down?
Yeah, I was already down to 20 psi before getting into that situation. Problem wasn't traction because of contact patch, but because so much weight of the chassis was high-sided.

This happened on a recent trip to Saline Valley. I had a friend tagging along who happens to have a FWC and solid truck but had recently bought his wife a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and wanted to get the thing dirty and test its off road capabilities. We figured I could leave my truck at the springs and use the Jeep as the daily exploration vehicle for our planned hikes. The Jeep, as expected, performed great creeping far up all of the canyons we explored over the weekend.

The unexpected didn't come until Sunday when we were driving out south pass. I am in the lead near the salt trams with a long way to go when I hear my FRS radio crackle and he tells me we have a major problem. My heart sinks as I double back and he tells me his steering is suddenly shaking violently. I get under the Jeep and tell him to turn the wheel and we discover there is a bolt missing holding his steering linkage together. We came to find out later it was the track arm (and a common problem in Jeeps called the Death Wobble).

At this point we are starting to envision a wallet draining $1500 tow from Millers in Lone Pine in his future when I remember I have some spare grade 8 air bag bolts in my tool kit. The bolts are far too skinny for the hole but at least long enough to slide through. We tie it in with some bailing wire and figure it will at least keep the linkage together enough to drive out slowly (40+ miles). He drives off at a snails pace and I figure I have nothing but time before he makes it to the 190. I decide to backtrack (all the way back to the springs if necessary) and look for the bolt to be used as a back up should the airbag bolt fail. Well, not 1/4 mile further down the road, there it is, I grab it and double back.

After rejoining with him we brainstorm ideas on the long drive back to the highway. I could run ahead and call Lone Pine and get Millers on the way, or drive to Bishop and try to find the nut for the bolt, or when we make it to the highway we can jimmy the correct bolt in and use the bailing wire and then attempt to drive there for the part. We finally reach the highway and decide on the third option, lo and behold the bailing wired in correct bolt handles slow, gradual speed tests on the way to Olancha, and he eventually reaches 65 MPH with the Jeep steering smooth as silk. Once in Olancha we decide to push home uneventfully. Disaster averted.

On our AK trip ...off the McCarthy Road.... a bad place to leave the camper (not mine)

Attachments

• IMG_4758.jpg
    IMG_4758.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 212
I just got back from an Alaska trip. The warm weather has resulted in all sorts of abnormal river flows catching people off guard as the glaciers melt. Along the gravel Denali Hwy, the levels in the beaver ponds have sadly receded leaving the beavers to predation. Nearly none left where there are usually lots of them.

The folks left in the river were native folks who drove out to do the fish wheel harvest and either found themselves in a glacial rerouting or it was a case of poor planning ahead. Either way it hurts to look at it.

Several years ago - Monitor Valley, NV, Potts Hot Springs to be more exact. I was meeting some folks from Reno/Carson but I was driving from Mammoth after a couple of days of late season skiing so I was coming from Tonopah.

It was a beautiful drive though the southern end of the Monitor Valley. I stopped several times for photos and enjoyment. I had ignored the sign that said "Next Services 140 Miles" even though I had tires on my truck that should have already been replaced. I mean - I had not yet had any trouble so why worry?

I did make it to the site we intended to camp. I walked around for a bit and came back to see a rear tire collapsed. As a recent widow I had not ever changed a tire on a car before. This was a frickin' truck with a camper on it.

My first attempt to jack up the truck - in this somewhat dried salt bog - drove the jack into the mud. I searched and found a 2X6 near the campfire pit which I put beneath the jack and was then able to jack up the truck and change the tire. Others were due to arrive the next day but I did not wish to try and sleep in a crooked camper and I told myself, "don't be such a girl".

I changed the wheel and had a couple of shots of whiskey with my beer and some music from the truck as I danced in the setting light. The weekend party was great but I loved being out there alone.

Of the party that arrived the next day one called me a "lone wolf". Yeah - and?

I love that story. Lets face it, our friends won't always be there to back us up. Lone wolf, I'd be proud of that!

Back
Top Bottom