Horror Stories

You guys are going to make me scan my pics aren't you? You wouldn't believe my story otherwise.

I'll believe your story without pictures, but I want to see your pictures anyway. I wish I had a picture of the look on my dog's face when I rolled my Scout II in slow molion. The look I got from her said "Dude? Really?" She was belted in, didn't suffer any injuries and tonight will sleep at the foot of my bed. I smile whenever I remember the look on her face that day.

One my stories of breaking down happened in Mexico :eek:

The year was 1983 and my friend Marc and I were heading south from a border town called La Rumerosa ('tween Tecate and Mexicali) seeking a fabled rock climbing area called Canon Tajo.
We had been climbing partners for about a year and had been visiting Joshua Tree, Idylwild, Mt. Woodson and were ready for some wilderness climbing in the Sierra Juarez, a 5000' plateau in northern Baja.

We had a hand drawn map and I had been there a year before, so how hard could it be? Twenty miles of dirt past various ranchos on the old spanish trail to Ensenada. Problem was that it dumped an inch of rain the night before.

Marc considered himself something of a rally driver and in his 2wd Ford Ranger we were flying. We crested a blind rise and did a nice splash into an oversized puddle and killed the motor. A quick drying of the distributor cap whilst slugging a beer or two fixed the problem.

Next the turn-off from the main dirt road to a lightly used double track seemed to match my memory and the granite domes nearby were tantalizing. The track got very muddy and Marc just kept gunning it until we went about 50 yds. too far and sunk. The little truck was buried to the axles.

gallery_2472_286_31279.jpg

We spent six hours and were successful at moving his truck about six inches :(
We stacked rocks and put his little jack on top and watched as the rocks sunk into the muck.
Finally as the setting sun called it a day we decided we needed to find someplace to sleep.
I grabbed an armload of sleeping gear and some food and walked to a nearby high spot, above the swamp. That night was the inaugural night of Andy's Famous Grilled Cheese and Tuna Sandwich. Funny how a spot of hot food can lift your spirits.

The next morning was not very happy. We were still stuck and had seen no one. The main dirt road was about a mile back, so we decided to put up some signs. Two guys in the twenties stuck in the middle of nowhere --- go figure!

gallery_2472_286_76206.jpg

Just as we hiked back, here came a beater pickup with a bunch of locals in the back. I spoke some spanish so I told our story. They agreed to drive up and help and Marc said he would go retrieve our signs. I jumped in the back of the truck with the braseros. They had gunny sacks with pinon cones, trunks from century plants and a variety of locally sourced items.

When we got to the mud hole our driver wisely stopped about fifty yards from our truck. The locals jumped out and with a word from the driver, they pulled out machetes fabricated from leaf springs. Marc wasn't back yet and as I looked at this machete wielding crew I thought, "They can have whatever they want." Instead they chopped brush and stacked it on the road.
Next they pulled out a Hi-Lift Jack (first one I had ever seen) and popped us out of there in no time. They wanted to use our climbing ropes to tow us out, but we had to explain that we were alpinistos and our ropes couldn't be used this way.

I was so happy I promptly passed around our limited supplies of beer and at 8:30am we all toasted our success. Later Marc asked me why I had been so generous with our beer! The Mexicans were also very interested in why I had boxes of closet rod dowels. I brought them for firewood (left overs from a commercial project) and had tried using them under our tires. They just laughed and said they would be better for making tortillas. So I gave them a box of dowels too. :p

Just a few photos from the archives:

gallery_2472_286_88514.jpg

gallery_2472_286_93484.jpg

gallery_2472_286_99357.jpg

I've gotta say you guys and your stories make me glad the worst thing I've been stuck in is snow, up to the doors but at least it shovels easily.

I just noticed this subject and have been enjoying the stories. I'll add this one about a wildlife encounter. I had to dig back into the albums and scan a photo.

gallery_1902_252_14933.jpg

This is a favorite story the Lady enjoys telling. It happened in April 1988, spring break. It was early evening and we were in the northern part of the Alabama Hills driving south on Movie Road. We had been married for several years and most of our adventures had been mountain or alpine related, this was one of our first desert trips.

We have always encountered rattlesnakes and we still do. We find them fascinating creatures that have a valuable niche in our earth’s web of life. We’ve always practiced, “If we don’t mess with them, they won’t mess with us.” Like dealing with any creature, you never box it in and you always give it a way out. When a snake doesn’t feel threatened, it shouldn’t have any reason to deal with you. All of our encounters have been this way, except for this one.

In distance in the middle of the road I saw a familiar movement. The Lady had never seen a sidewinder before and the wonderful way they move.
“It’s a sidewinder.” I said as a stopped the truck about 25 yards away. The snake was continuing to slowly move in our direction.
“Look how he moves, that’s wonderful,” she added.
“I’m going to take a picture.” I reached behind, grabbed the camera, and climbed out and moved to the front of the truck.
“Don’t make him mad,” the Lady cautioned.
The sidewinder was still a good distance away, in the middle of the road, with ample escape routes in almost every direction. As soon as I moved toward him, he put it into high gear right at me.
“You made him mad!”
“I have no idea why he should be coming at me like this.”
“Get back in the truck.”
“I think I can get a quick photo.” I did but as soon as I took my eye off the viewfinder I realized this snake was really moving and almost to me.
“Slide into the driver’s seat and back the truck up, now!” The motor was still running. “We don’t want him under the truck.”
The Lady was quick and almost immediately she and the truck were backing down the road with me following, running sideways, keeping an eye on both the truck and the rattler. When we had made enough distance between us and the angry reptile, the Lady turned the truck around and said, “Get in, I don’t want you making any more snakes mad!” She was laughing. “That sidewinder was chasing you and you were moving sideways too!”

In a day or two I'll add a story about what happened the next day. It is a really scary story.

April 8, 1988, it was the day we didn’t die. Yes, I remember the date.

This was our first desert trip together. I had run around this area with a buddy in the late 60’s so this trip was chance to look back, remember, tell the Lady stories from when I was a kid, and make new discoveries, the two of us.

I hadn’t been up this canyon with my buddy, but we had looked at it, talked about it. There were stories about a small settlement that dated back into the 1800’s. At one time there had been a road. It had been continuously washed out and destroyed. It was now about an eight mile walk up this canyon, hard to get to, maybe untouched. Who knew what the Lady and I would find? The adventure of it all called to us.

It was a beautiful cool spring day. We saw sheep. The small settlement was tumbling down, old. We were surprised to see a couple of sixties era vehicles and a small newer shed. At one time someone must have tried to make a new start up here but the wild debris flows and floods had stopped them too. It looked like the new inhabitants hadn’t even made it back to retrieve anything.

The main workings were high up the mountain side marked with a trail of rusted cable and remains of tramway towers. After poking around the buildings we decided to make the climb. We followed a steep switch backing road that was washed out at every crossing of the gully. It was cool as we sat outside the main tunnel. No, we don’t take chances going into these mines. We enjoyed our perch in the sun, looking for warmth, and took turns poking around. Just off to the side was a smaller opening with a swinging rusted plate steel door. It was partially open, no lock. I stepped inside.

gallery_1902_252_103813.jpg

The entering shaft of light first hit the boxes of dynamite. This caught my interest. As my eyes adjusted, I could see more, much more. This was a serious explosives cache. In the shadows on pallets were stacks of blasting powder. The pile was as tall as I was. There was a big pile of long narrow plastic covered packages like sausages. I figured this was explosives packaged up, ready to slide into drill holes in the rock. There was detonating cord.

gallery_1902_252_54055.jpg

This was scary, but not scary enough.

I walked over to the dynamite. One box was lying open. Most of the sticks were in an open clear plastic bag. There were several outside the bag lying on top. There were also about six on the bottom of the box outside the bag. These looked old. There were crystals growing on the outside of the tubes. This looked bad, really bad. I am not knowledgeable about dynamite but I had grown up on a diet of westerns, especially Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti western days. I had heard about dynamite sweating, the nitro coming to the outside, oozing out and forming crystals. At least that’s what all the movies and stories told me. I was not going to touch those. I picked one stick up from the top.

I walked back out into the sun and called to the Lady. “Hey, you’ve got to see this.”
She popped up and came over. We walked together into the cache.
I handed her the stick and said, “Have you ever held a stick of dynamite before?”
“Oh, so this is dynamite?” She really wasn’t that interested and I didn’t get the jump I was expecting.
And then she threw it.

This is still a vivid memory. I can still see it, the stick in slow motion cart wheeling through the air, end over end, on a direct trajectory into that open box of dynamite. It was a direct hit. Nothing happened.

“My god, you don’t throw dynamite! There’s a bunch of unstable sticks in that box. This whole place could have blown! They would have heard the blast in Vegas! Nobody would have found even a little piece of us but they sure would have found the hole!” I unloaded. I was shaking.

With complete calm the Lady said, “I don’t know anything about dynamite and I expect that you would not hand me anything that was not safe.”

The Lady has a knack of getting right to the point, a quality that I have grown to love.

This ranks up near the top of my list of stupid things I’ve done. It was just luck we didn’t die this day.

These are great stories linked to great adventures. Thanks everyone.
Man, it makes me went to get out there and have some fun myself. (without blowing my ass up)

"We're fvkt!!"
My true story of, if not horror then at least serious anxiety during a truck-camping-travel adventure.
I guess it's also kind of a trip report, so bear with my very long story...or not – just look at the pictures.
tongue.gif

The year was 1995, early June it was -- June because we had to wait for one of the 3 of us to be done with his community college teaching job for the year. We were headed to remote, little-visited, Smith Creek Canyon on the east side of the Snake Range in extreme-eastern Nevada, about 20 miles north of 50/6, accessed (for the first 25 miles) by a good-quality graded gravel road that takes off from US 50/6 in Nevada then crosses over into Utah for most of its route north, parallel to the NV/UT border.

View attachment 11728

Taking off the this gravel county road, the Smith Creek road then crosses back into NV to head up Smith Creek Canyon along the creek, the valley walls rising up to limestone cliffs. It was late spring, the valley floor was green, yucca were in bloom.
9506b-001x.jpg
9506b-003x.jpg

We were 3 guys in two Toyota/Nissan 4x4 pickups with canopies/caps. Since it was spring, the creek was running pretty heavy, and there were several fords required as the road crossed back and forth. The next-to-the-last stream-crossing wasn't a ford; the stream went through a big culvert -- maybe 20 feet long and 3+ feet diameter, so it was a flat crossing on dirt.
If this was a movie, one of the characters would have said at this crossing, "Man, I sure am glad this culvert is here!" (cue ominous music).
unsure.gif

We spent a couple of nights camped at the end of the road, near the edge of a wilderness area. We did a great hike up the canyon, one with many stream-wades as the trail (a former jeep trail at first), constrained by the narrow canyon's steep walls, wound back and forth across the creek. But since it was sunny and warm we didn't mind the wading.
Sunny and warm...so there was a lot of snow melt. In fact, on the second night the creek rose enough that it almost touched the bag of the guy who was sleeping next to it. During that night around the campfire we thought we heard boulders shifting/rolling somewhere nearby downstream, moving under the force of the spring flood. (cue more ominous music)
unsure.gif

Our trip out began with this stream ford, Jim leading in his truck, the ford deeper than it had been on the trip in...(more ominous music)
unsure.gif
:

9506b-004.jpg

We went a couple hundred yards further, round the bend to the culvert-crossing...that is -- (cue "Psycho"-shower-scene-like shreak-music)-- where the culvert had been!
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

9506b-005.jpg

That big culvert had been completely washed out, away, downstream! That had been the “boulder” noise we’d heard the night before!

"We're fvkt!!", Jim exclaimed, as we got out of our rigs to gape -- shocked -- at the sight! It was a >4-foot drop with straight-walled sides down to the stream -- no way to ford this former culvert-crossing.
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

We wandered downstream a bit – found the big culvert where it had been carried almost 50 feet from where it was supposed to be, walked down further and proceeded to try to build a ford in a low-banked spot. But every rock and boulder that we threw into the stream – those small enough that we could lift or even roll – was immediately carried away by the force of the water. The canyon walls came in next to the stream, so there was no way to go very far upstream or down that would have led “out”. No way to drive out without crossing at the former-culvert spot, which our trucks couldn't do. We were indeed “fvkt”!!

So, what to do?!?! We realized that we could walk out to “civilization”…maybe take a bus home… but neither Jim nor I considered abandoning our rigs an acceptable option. (Larry, passenger, didn't have that concern -- lucky him.
rolleyes.gif
)

Jim decided that he would ride his mt bike down to the main road, find someone...see what they might suggest, get help somehow. With some old climbing rope we put Jim (with bike) on belay to get across the rushing stream, after that he was on his own as he rode down the canyon. (He later told us that at another crossing downstream he had been knocked off his feet by the water and almost lost the bike!)

A few hours later Jim returned with, as it turned out, the perfect guy that he could have found – a Mr. King who was a deputy sheriff (in Utah’s Millard County) as well as an employee at Great Basin National Park – a guy with the right connections. He surveyed the situation and told us to sit tight where we were overnight, that he’s send some help up the next day. I was still mighty worried that night about what was going to happen with my truck.
sad.gif

Next morning we saw coming up the road on the other side of the creek a big front-end loader with two guys from the Millard Co (UT) road dept., who regularly work on the main gravel road on the Utah side, though we were in Nevada. Their plan was to use the loader to scoop out the banks of the stream where the road crossed to make it a ford.
But before they would do anything they threw across the stream a clipboard with a statement for us to sign absolving them of any responsibility if the USFS got mad about someone doing unauthorized road/stream work in the national forest. While we were surprised and a little concerned by this legal angle, it was a reasonable request – and really, what choice did we have?

So, we signed the waiver, threw it back across the stream and the front-end loader went to work. In literally a few seconds – a minute at most– the loader had carved out a ford. But the water was still too deep and too fast to ford in our light-weight rigs without serious risk of being swept away by the flood. So, using a long chain that I happened to have in my truck, the loader towed us across; We were saved!

9506b-006.jpg

9506b-007.jpg

The water actually surged clear over the windshield!! Being somewhat clueless about really-deep fords I didn’t think about the possibility of sucking water into my engine while the hood was submerged, so I had the engine still running at this point.
rolleyes.gif
But, apparently, no water got sucked in anyway. The two guys with the loader towed us through one more deeply-flooded ford, too.

We were so relieved and very grateful! We offered these Millard Co road workers a case of beer for their trouble, but they declined – either because they were on duty or (we assumed) because they were devout Mormons. So, we relaxed with a beer (or a few) for a while, then headed south towards the UT/NV border and the wonderful/funky Border Inn.
Funny thing: a few miles south on that main gravel road we came upon one of the road crew – the younger of the two, by himself this time. He walked over to us and said, “Do you guys have any herb?" (Hmmm…"no thanks" to beer, but “herb” is OK with his religion/job?…or maybe he was able to ask now because his boss wasn't around). Well, we didn’t have any herb (surprisingly), so we said, “No, sorry, but thanks again”, and we were on our way again.

For several months afterward I had the dread that I’d get an angry/official/legal letter from the USFS about the unauthorized “procedure” that had been done to Smith Creek….but we never did. Two years later I revisited the same spot, and there is still no culvert – just the deep ford cut by the Millard Co Road Dept – to rescue us, a crossing which is actually quite ford-able if not during spring flood.
smile.gif

MarkBC, on our last trip into the Great Basin I told the Lady about your story here. This one really captures the terrain and local folks that you meet out there. It's a good one!

MarkBC, on our last trip into the Great Basin I told the Lady about your story here. This one really captures the terrain and local folks that you meet out there. It's a good one!

Thanks, ski. :)
It's not the worst thing that's ever happened to me -- not by a long shot -- (no physical injury, no property damage, no legal consequences), but it's the only time I've had to be rescued. :rolleyes:

To this day I still wonder why we allowed our trucks to be pulled through the torrent with the engines running...? Evidently the Gods of "being up **** creek without a paddle" were looking after us. :oops: We will never again be so lucky.

To this day I still wonder why we allowed our trucks to be pulled through the torrent with the engines running...? Evidently the Gods of "being up **** creek without a paddle" were looking after us. :oops: We will never again be so lucky.

Well...it's not a good practice -- that's for sure. But I don't believe in luck (unless it's in a gambling situation) -- it's all physics.
To suck water into the engine where it can do damage it has to be sucked past/through the air filter. Probably wouldn't take long for that to happen, but it can't happen instantaneously...unless you don't have a filter in place. Apparently, it takes longer to happen than the 3-4 seconds that our hoods were underwater...at least for our trucks.
Of course, I didn't actually consider all that when I had my engine running underwater -- I was just clueless.
tongue.gif

Maybe somebody else would like to run this test for full-size trucks and for diesel engines.
blink.gif

From what I remember the air intake for the older Toyota trucks was located pretty high in the engine compartment. I'm sure the road crew thought we were pretty stupid for being up there in the first place.

No thanks. We have that huge air intake for a reason, pouring water into it just can't be a good idea.

Last year I had my Jeep out cruising the backcountry of the Plumas NF. Find a group camped by the creek. They had typical suv rigs. I ask about the water crossing. Oh sure, no problem they said. Now with hindsight I'm pretty sure none of them had tried it. On the far side water is coming in through the floorboards and its just about ready to float. I didn't even have the hubs locked in. Sure was a good feeling to climb right out. Not sure if I had an audience or not, I never looked.

Now the Jeep is designed for such stuff. Floorboards have drain holes just for such stuff. If the truck had water inside I'd have something to cry over. I'd really be concerned about the electronics making it through safely. Of course sometimes necessity wins out.

Never heard of anything like that. What does happen is you take something hot like a differential, cool it water and suddenly its negatively pressurized and has the possibility of sucking water inside.

Jeez, I have endless stories I can think of. I suppose one of the ones with the funniest ending would be this. I was with my wife heading south through the Algerian Sahara. We had been driving weeks covering hundreds and hundreds of miles of jagged rock and deep sand. At times we were lucky to make 100 miles in a 10 hour day. Suddenly, in the distance, we see a smoothly paved road in the middle of the Sahara and it was going exactly the direction we were headed. I thought it was a mirage! It was real, we hopped up on to that road driving at 45 mph of smooth bliss. What luck this road that seemingly dropped from heaven! Suddenly we were circled by Algerian military in beat up Nissan Patrols. Forced to a stop, these barefoot, raggedly uniformed soldiers complete with machine guns in our faces, explained that we were on a military road. They took our passports from us, separated my wife from me and had me drive between them, headed north to "see the general". Two days travel they said it would take. After a couple of hours, they stopped. Told us to "get out", still separated from my wife by 100 feet or so, each of us surrounded by a circle of men.

Funny part: Suddenly I remembered the words of a fellow Sahara traveler. He remarked how with alcohol illegal in Algeria and the fact that none of these men, unless married, have ever seen a female over 10 years old, and certainly not nude, that some wine or beer and a magazine with naked ladies could get you a long ways. I had an idea. I explained to them in my nervous french, that I had a special gift for them if they'd gather around. I dug deep into a secret compartment in our van and produced our only can of beer and our one "Marie Claire" (French fashion magazine with lingerie adverts). Holly ****! Those guys went crazy with excitement! All I remember is a cluster **** of men grabing at the beer and magazine, our passports came flying at us from the mass, we slipped into our van, turned south and hauled ass (20 mph) not stopping for hours and hours, whew!

Pics below: Rock art from the Tasilli, about 10 to 12 ybp. , Sand dunes south of Tamanrasset. , On the coast of southern Tunisia, on our way back north.

Attachments

• Algeria31587.jpg
    Algeria31587.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Photo 25 of 112.jpg
    Photo 25 of 112.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Sahara40570.jpg
    Sahara40570.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 187
Wasnt me, but theres been a couple situations come up the past few years that caught my attention. I met one of the people involved, he had healed up fairly well, all things considered.

Guy and his buddy had heard some elk were down low in the sagebrush country, so they went looking on their 4 wheelers. They parked after riding a bit, and wandered arounbd looking for tracks. They separated in the 5-6' tall sagebrush. Out of the corner of his eye, guy sees a brown blur, then is knocked down on the ground hard with something on top of him. A sow grizzly had blind sided him, then proceded to beat him up, biting his face, breaking his jaw, tearing his pallate loose, tearing his face and throat badly, then proceeded to bite down his back and leg, breaking ribs, puncturing lungs, and leaving some nasty open wounds. His buddy heard his screams and came running to the sound. The sow left him and ran a few yards to gather up her cubs. Guy gathered himself up and pulled his 41 mag pistol and got 3 shots off, saving 3. He made two good hits, complete pass throughs, and dumped the sow. His buddy got there about that time. Buddy went off on 4 wheeler until he had a cell signal and called guys wife to call for help. The local fire dept made it, and got him stabilized and off to the hospital. They sent him to a larger town, where they put him back together as best they could. It worked out fairly well, he regained most of the use of all the stuff that was torn up, but has some impressive scars and his face and elsewhere.

Another incident happened at a campground. In the middle of the night,a sow grizzly broke into a couple tents, attacking two different people. One lady fought the bear when it grabbed her by the arm I believe. It left. Another guy was attacked also, but didnt have real serious injuries. That had the campground pretty well wide awake by then, so people went looking. One tent at the end of the campground was in bad shape. Upon further inspection, the tent was destroyed, the sow had grabbed and drug away the guy camping in it, and eaten much of him. The Fish Cops set up a trap and caught the bear, DNA tests from a tooth fragment found in the dead guy, and from remains in her stomach, confirmed she was the one. She was put down, the cubs sent off to live in zoos. She wasnt starving. They dont know why she did it.

About that year or the next a guy was killed and partially eaten in Yellowstone. No known reason. Theres been a few other incidents in the past few years. Geezer hiker guy killed by a large boar grizzly, a few other people mugged They seem to be more frequent in the past 5-10 years. Keeps it interesting out in the hills.

img_116464_0_3b0c0349afb42385a1c682ba641ee178.jpg

Back
Top Bottom