House battery not charging while driving

takingatrip1

Advanced Member
Hi guys, on a trip and... House battery is dead. I noticed a week ago the house battery was down to 1led on the "battery level, water level" panel. Odd since this is a daily driven rig, no starting issues and the arb fridge in the truck is ice cold

I plugged the camper into 110@ home, next day the lights are all reading full.

2days on the road and... Dead.

I haven't got a volt meter with me. Is this how a 4 year old battery gone south would act? (generally speaking)

Generally speaking Yes. My experience battery fails within a few months of when the warranty ends.

Make sure the replacement is an AGM. (The cheaper batteries vent into the camper so the installing shop will have to vent the compartment to keep the gasses out of your living space). AGM is also twice as efficient as the wet Deep Cycles.

It will be expensive about $250. FWC supplies the Exide. I have the East Penn model "Intimidator" 79 amp. The EXIDE is 75 amp. The size is GROUP 24 (fits your space).

Camping World carries Exide. Any competent auto repair shop should be able to get either one.

Monitoring battery condition.

From what others have reported the panel LED"s are not accurate. At the minimum you should have a "volt meter". Battery monitor showing amp draw and charge in digital read-out is better.

If your on the road you can buy a cheap multi-meter at any auto parts store to check your voltage.

Sounds like the battery is going out and not holding a charge or not getting a deep charge. When you ck the battery condition, let it sit for an hour after charging so you aren't reading the "surface charge". Also remember, a meter by itself is not loading the battery and a weak battery will drop rather quickly when you start pulling amps. Good advice in other post on choosing a battery.

Sounds normal for a 4 year old battery. They are consumables.

You didn't mention the make and type of the battery. As mentioned by others, be sure to purchase a deep cycle AGM battery with built-in digital control. I think most, if not all, AGMs have some form of digital control built into the battery.

I have 2x Optima Blue Tops in my Hawk. Couldn't be happier with their performance. We get about 3.5 days out of them without any vehicle charging and with very thick overcast (no to very limited solar charging). We are very careful about out electical consumption on such days. Of course your "mileage" may vary!

Update, got my multimeter out and while at idle

14.35 at the battery
14.35 at the thermal switch
14.35 at the Atwood plug in the bed
6.7 at the battery

Seems like a fault in the pig tail from the camper, or something with the Iota charge control. Battery fully charged when hooked to shore power.. Points to pigtail?

To rule out the battery(ies), disconnect them, put a good charger on them until they go to float, then see if they hold the charge.

Then, I would start looking for a corroded or loose connection. Unless I'm mistaken, the iota doesn't play a roll except when connected to shore power. It seems there is another component in line, but I'm running from memory on that..

Voltage drop? What gauge wire? I had same problem. Killed one of my batteries in about 2 yrs. never fully charging. Upgraded to 4 gauge wire and replaced both batteries. Now seeing 30-35 amps and 14 volts while idling. Huge improvement

takingatrip1 said:
Connections all seem tight with no corrosion. I'll look at the iota website
You should have a schematic in your documentation. That will tell you if the Iota is involved, but I don't believe it is.

Please do check the disconnected battery after charging to a float/maintenance state.

It's possible the 6.7v at the battery is due to a the house battery being bad(shorted cell(s) etc.) acting as a load. Disconnect the leads from the battery and hook the meter to the leads and recheck volts.

Ronanmd1 said:
Voltage drop? What gauge wire? I had same problem. Killed one of my batteries in about 2 yrs. never fully charging. Upgraded to 4 gauge wire and replaced both batteries. Now seeing 30-35 amps and 14 volts while idling. Huge improvement
What ever fwc wired...

While upgrading the wiring will certainly help. The OP's problem still sounds like a battery to me.
Here is the proper technique for testing a battery.
Lengthy, had to cut/paste out of a PDF file which I was unable to link.
Note: the only method to properly check a deep cycle battery is under load.

I've had fishing boats with trolling motor and electronics for decades. I've been using a digital Schumacher unit to test and help maintain the 3 batteries on my Hewes Redfisher for years. I haven't done a test on my Hawk's 2x Optima Blue tops to date.

DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES
3. HOW DO I TEST A BATTERY?

There are six simple steps in testing a deep cycle battery-inspect, recharge, remove surface charge, measure the state-of-charge, load test, and recharge. If you have a non-sealed battery, it is highly recommended that you use a good quality temperature compensated hydrometer; these can be purchased at an auto parts store for between $5 and $20. A hydrometer is a float type device used to determine the state-of-charge by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte in each cell. It is a very accurate way of determining a battery's state-of-charge and its weak or dead cells. To troubleshoot charging or electrical systems or if you have a sealed battery, you will need a digital voltmeter with 0.5% or better accuracy. A digital voltmeter can be purchased at an electronics store like Radio Shack for between $20 and $200. Analog voltmeters are not accurate enough to measure the millivolt differences of a battery's state-of-charge or the output of the charging system. The purchase of a battery load tester is optional; if you use a golf cart or electric trolling motor every day, buy one.

3.1. INSPECT

Visually inspect for obvious problems. For example, is there a loose or broken alternator belt, electrolyte levels BELOW the top of the plates, corroded or swollen cables, corroded terminal clamps, dirty or wet battery top, loose hold-down clamps, loose cable terminals, or leaking or damaged battery case? If the electrolyte levels are low in non-sealed batteries, allow the battery to cool and add DISTILLED water to the level indicated by the battery manufacturer. If this is not indicated, use 1/4 inch (7 mm) BELOW the bottom of the plastic filler tube (vent wells). The plates need to be covered at all times. Avoid OVERFILLING, especially in hot climates, because heat will cause the electrolyte to expand and overflow.

3.2. RECHARGE

Recharge the battery to 100% state-of-charge. If the battery has a difference of .03 specific gravity reading between the lowest and highest cell, then you should equalize it. (Please see Section 6.)

3.3. REMOVE SURFACE CHARGE

Surface charge is the uneven mixture of sulfuric acid and water within the surface of the plates as a result of charging or discharging. It will make a weak battery appear good or a good battery appear bad. You need to eliminate the surface charge by one of the following methods:

3.3.1. Allow the battery to sit for four to twelve hours to allow for the surface charge to dissipate.

3.3.2. Apply a load that is 33% of the ampere-hour capacity for five minutes and wait five to ten minutes.

3.3.3. With a battery load tester, apply a load of at least one half the battery's CCA rating for 15 seconds and wait five to ten minutes.

3.4. MEASURE THE STATE-OF-CHARGE

If the battery's electrolyte is above 110o F (43.3o C), allow it to cool. To determine the battery's state-of-charge with the battery's electrolyte temperature at 80o F (26.7o C), use the following table. The table assumes that a 1.265 specific gravity reading is a fully charged, wet, lead-acid battery. For other electrolyte temperatures, use the Temperature Compensation table below to adjust the Open Circuit Voltage or Specific Gravity readings. The Open Circuit Voltage will vary for gel cell and AGM type batteries so check the manufacturer's specifications.

Digital Voltmeter Open Circuit Voltage Approximate State-of-Charge Hydrometer Average Cell Specific Gravity Electrolyte Freeze Point 12.65 100% 1.265 -75o F (-59.4o C) 12.45 75% 1.225 -55o F (-48.3o C) 12.24 50% 1.190 -34o F (-36.7o C) 12.06 25% 1.155 -16o F (-26.7o C) 11.89 Discharged 1.120 -10o F (-23.3o C) STATE-OF-CHARGE [Source: BCI]
Electrolyte Temperature Fahrenheit Electrolyte Temperature Celsius Add or Subtract to Hydrometer's SG Reading Add or Subtract to Digital Voltmeter's Reading 160o 71.1o +.032 +.192 150o 65.6o +.028 +.168 140o 60.0o +.024 +.144 130o 54.4o +.020 +.120 120o 48.9o +.016 +.096 110o 43.3o +.012 +.072 100o 37.8o +.008 +.048 90o 32.2o +.004 +.024 80o 26.7o 0 0 70o 21.1o -.004 -.024 60o 15.6o -.008 -.048 50o 10o -.012 -.072 40o 4.4o -.016 -.096 30o -1.1o -.020 -.120 20o -6.7o -.024 -.144 10o -12.2o -.028 -.168 0o -17.8o -.032 -.192
TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION

Electrolyte temperature compensation will vary depending on the battery manufacturer's recommendations. If you are using a NON-temperature compensated HYDROMETER, make the adjustments indicated in the table above. For example, at 30 o F (-1.1o C), the specific gravity reading would be 1.245 for a 100% state-of-charge. At 100 o F (37.8 o C), the specific gravity would be 1.273 for 100% state-of-charge. This is why using a temperature compensated hydrometer is highly recommended and more accurate. If you are using a DIGITAL VOLTMETER, make the adjustments indicated in the table above. For example, at 30 o F (-1.1o C), the voltage reading would be 12.53 for a 100% state-of-charge. At 100 o F (37.8 o C), the voltage would be 12.698 for 100% state-of-charge.

For non-sealed batteries, check the specific gravity in each cell with a hydrometer and average the readings. For sealed batteries, measure the Open Circuit Voltage across the battery terminals with an accurate digital voltmeter. This is the only way you can determine the state-of-charge. Some batteries have a built-in hydrometer, which only measures the state-of-charge in ONE of its six cells. If the built-in indicator is clear or light yellow, then the battery has a low electrolyte level and should be refilled and recharged before proceeding. If sealed, the battery should be replaced.

If the state-of-charge is BELOW 75%, using either the specific gravity or voltage test, or the built-in hydrometer indicates "bad" (usually dark), then the battery needs to be recharged BEFORE proceeding. You should also replace the battery if one or more of the following conditions occur:

3.4.1. If there is a .05 (sometimes expressed as 50 "points") or more difference in the specific gravity reading between the highest and lowest cell, you have a weak or dead cell(s). If you are really lucky, applying an EQUALIZING charge may correct this condition. (Please see Section 6.)

3.4.2. If the battery will not recharge to a 75% or more state-of-charge level or if the built-in hydrometer still does not indicate "good" (usually green, which is 65% state-of-charge or better).

If you know that a battery has spilled or "bubbled over" and the electrolyte has been replaced with water, you can replace the old electrolyte with new electrolyte and go back to Step 3.2 above. Battery electrolyte is a mixture of 25% sulfuric acid and distilled water. It is cheaper to replace the electrolyte than to buy a new battery.

3.4.3. If digital voltmeter indicates 0 volts, you have an open cell.

3.4.4. If the digital voltmeter indicates 10.45 to 10.65 volts, you probably have a shorted cell or a severely discharged battery. A shorted cell is caused by plates touching, sediment ("mud") build-up or "treeing" between the plates.

3.5. LOAD TEST

If the battery is fully charged or has a "good" built-in hydrometer indication, then you can test the capacity of the battery by applying a known load and measuring the time it take to discharge the battery until 20% capacity is remaining. Normally a discharge rate that will discharge a battery in 20 hours can be used. For example, if you have an 80-ampere-hour rated battery, then a load of four amps would discharge the battery in approximately 20 hours (or 16 hours down to the 20% level). New batteries can take up to 50 charge/discharge cycles before they reach their rated capacity. Depending on your application, batteries with 80% or less of their original capacity are considered to be bad.

3.6. RECHARGE

If the battery passes the load test, you should recharge it as soon as possible to restore it to peak performance and to prevent lead sulfation.

Battery maintenance. Good battery maintnenance technique is the key to reliable, long-life batteries.

Before every trip, I plug into shore power. I ensure the batteries are topped off and in float mode.
While on the road, I plug into shore power when avaialble. I allow the batteries to go from bulk to float charge mode.
Upon arriving home, I plug into shore power and ensure the batteries are fully charged and in float mode before disconnecting shore power.
At home, with the camper's electical system de-energized, I plug in shore power once a month and top off the batteries.
Shore power is by far the easiest way to maintain optimum battery performance.

I always use the digital battery tester to determine the state of the batteries. While there are some products you can install in the camper to help monitor battery state, you really need a good dedicated digital battery tester to evaluate your batteries independent of the camper's electrical system.

Wow, that's a lengthy test process. Thanks for the time and effort to post that.

I took tomorrow off to get it to my rv guy. I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks for all the assistance

YW

It was a section I cut & paste from a very good document I received from a battery distributor in FLA on maintaining deep cycle batteries on my boat.

It sounds complicated, but, once you have a decent digital battery tester in hand, following the procedures is very easy.

So, it turns out that the house battery was bad. I replaced it and all is working normally.

I put the multi meter on the pig tail (comming from the battery) and got no voltage at all which made me think the smart battery selinoid was bad. I read the spec's and found that if the battery is providing less than 10v the selinod opens to keep the truck battery from being drained. Since i was at 6v...no suprise there was nothing. I tested on the truck side of the selenoid and got 14.35v and nothing on the house side. Replaced the battery and boom got 12.14v which was what I got across the battery terminals. The replacement battery was an AC Delco M24agm 80ah with 140 reserve capacity for 180 bucks installed and with all the testing .

learned something about my new camper. thx for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom