How do 1# propane tanks seal?

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
Had a new Coleman tank that would not attach to the camp stove last week. Tried a few times, but propane was spewing out as I tried to screw it on (note to self, that stuff is COLD). Took a closer look and noticed that the little plastic "washer" inside the fitting was now over on the stove connector. Huh, that's not right. Looked at a used tank, and that plastic bit is usually firmly seated. Also, spotted a small rubber o-ring. Could not see where that came from.

I have done some googling, and have not found a description/pictures yet of how these little tanks are supposed to be equipped to create a good seal once attached to your stove. Specifically, where does the little o-ring go? What holds the plastic washer in place?

Vic

The little O-ring goes down in the hole the gas comes out of- with the plastic ring above that (toward the outside world) to guide the male pickup on whatever you are attaching to the disposable and also to hold the O-ring in. The ID of the O-ring should be a snug fit on the male pickup on the device getting the gas. The plastic ring should be a snug interference fit to the disposable.

How do I know all this? Well...played around refiling the disposable tanks and saw many issues- they don't exactly use quality materials on throw away tanks.
I eventually moved to the Flame King system with 1 lb refillables by an adapter on 20lb tanks or even bigger.
The disposables that cost several dollars only have about 50 cents worth of gas in them...

Awesome, I figured someone on this forum would know the ins/outs of these things. Going to try that tank again tomorrow and see if it works, just because I can!

Back
Top Bottom