How do you transport, protect, and use your generator?

Mr.Hiesey

My husband and I are about to purchase our first truck camper, and we would appreciate some input concerning the generator. We are getting a Hawk 4WC, and this particular unit has a small AC unit preinstalled by the company (it's in the window to the right of the back door). This camper also has two fantastic fans, so we don't anticipate using the AC very often. However, we travel with our dog and two cats, and the AC will give us the opportunity to leave them in our vehicle for short periods of time without cooking them to death.

Unfortunately, running the AC will require the complication of a generator. Since we have never used a truck camper nor generator before, we aren't sure of the best way to transport and use the Honda 2000i generator. We have talked with the camper dealer and done a lot of online research, but we would appreciate input as to what you do with your generator.

As far as transporting the generator goes, our options seem to be:

- carry generator inside TC (main concern is potential gas smell)

- put box around generator and install on outside of TC (main concern is risk to structural integrity of TC)

- add a replacement bumper with swingout arms and storage--http://www.truckcampersupply.com/rearbumpertoyotatundra99-02withswingarmsandbrushguards.aspx (main concern is cost)

As far are operating the generator goes, our options seem to be:

- enclose generator in protective box which will protect from rain and theft; box left on while generator runs

- use generator "naked" and wrap a cable lock around handle; hope nobody cuts the generator handle and steals it

Anyway, we'd love to have input on the following questions.

1. How do you transport your generator? Do you carry it inside your truck or camper, or do you carry it outside?

2. If the generator is inside, do you have any issues with gasoline odor or spillage?

3. If you carry the generator outside, how do you do this? Does anyone have any experience with using a replacement bumper?

4. Has anyone used the converter kit that allows Honda 2000i generators to run on propane?

5. Is your generator protected by a box, or do you use it "naked"? How do you keep it from being stolen?

6. Where do you place the generator when you are using it? If our generator were attached to the back of our camper, would the fumes be likely to be sucked into the camper?

7. We would anticipate mostly using the generator when we are parked in locations that do not allow pets. Is it generally okay to run the generator in a parking lot of stores, parks, etc.? We'd love to hear how other pet owners use their AC and generators when on the road.

8. Any other information we should know about generators and TCs?

Thanks for your input!

Ooo Ooo I want to give this a shot!!

1. I'd avoid moving the generator inside if you're the least senstive to smells AND if you're planning on using gasoline. Also if you plan on transporting the animals back there at the same time... Just saying. If you're planning to option propane, then I wouldn't think there'd be much of a residual smell any more than the propane stove so you'd be ok (in my book) with it inside.

2. Not sure about the integrity of the camper if you added a box to the camper chassis. An E2000i weighs 47# dry.... add gas (if you run gas) there's another 8.5-9#/gallon you'd have to stow...

3. The swing out tire carriers are nice, but as you're aware - pretty pricey. My buddy had one of these and made everything super easy, but he got his from Aluminess and it was $1500 for the rear unit not including the storage box...

4. I'd like to offer up another option. A Hitch mounted carrier: http://www.hidden-hitch.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Cargo_Carrier-sb-Rating.aspx You can get in to one for pretty cheap. Lock the carrier to the hitch with a hitch lock and then cable lock the fuel and generator down and you're good. Probably even have room for a few bundles of firewood. If you really wanted to build a box to contain it you can. The only drawbacks (I see) are that you may want to remove the carrier when you get somewhere (stow it under the truck) and also storage when not in use at home (I don't have a garage, so everything I own gets stuffed under the bed at home).

Regarding placement, I'd put the unit on the driver's side of the truck. Maybe a few feet away if you find you don't like the noise.

That's all I got. Hope it helps!
Scootr

My husband and I are about to purchase our first truck camper, and we would appreciate some input concerning the generator. We are getting a Hawk 4WC, and this particular unit has a small AC unit preinstalled by the company (it's in the window to the right of the back door). This camper also has two fantastic fans, so we don't anticipate using the AC very often. However, we travel with our dog and two cats, and the AC will give us the opportunity to leave them in our vehicle for short periods of time without cooking them to death.

Unfortunately, running the AC will require the complication of a generator. Since we have never used a truck camper nor generator before, we aren't sure of the best way to transport and use the Honda 2000i generator. We have talked with the camper dealer and done a lot of online research, but we would appreciate input as to what you do with your generator.

- put box around generator and install on outside of TC (main concern is risk to structural integrity of TC)

- add a replacement bumper with swingout arms and storage--http://www.truckcampersupply.com/rearbumpertoyotatundra99-02withswingarmsandbrushguards.aspx (main concern is cost)

- enclose generator in protective box which will protect from rain and theft; box left on while generator runs

- use generator "naked" and wrap a cable lock around handle; hope nobody cuts the generator handle and steals it

1. How do you transport your generator?In the camper next to the back door Do you carry it inside your truck or camper, or do you carry it outside?

2. If the generator is inside, do you have any issues with gasoline odor or spillage?no

3. If you carry the generator outside, how do you do this? Does anyone have any experience with using a replacement bumper?

4. Has anyone used the converter kit that allows Honda 2000i generators to run on propane?

5. Is your generator protected by a box, or do you use it "naked"?yes Naked How do you keep it from being stolen?cable and lock

6. Where do you place the generator when you are using it?front bumper If our generator were attached to the back of our camper, would the fumes be likely to be sucked into the camper?

7. We would anticipate mostly using the generator when we are parked in locations that do not allow pets. Is it generally okay to run the generator in a parking lot of stores, parks, etc.?camp grounds shut down time 9 PM We'd love to hear how other pet owners use their AC and generators when on the road.

Thanks for your input!

I use the Honda 2000i it runs my A/C just fine.

Attachments

• CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 669
I would suggest KISS

http://www.jcwhitney.com/HITCH_HAUL_CARRIERS?ID=12;0;1101002315;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2004437;0;0

Until we added a solar panel, we always carried an EF1000is Yamaha in the camper. We did not have any problem with fumes. We even carried it in the cab a few times without any fumes.

The Yamaha, and the and think the Honda as well, let you seal the unit. Of course, wait for the exhaust to cool down before loading it in the camper or truck cab - a hot exhaust will emit some fumes..

I presently have a Yamaha EF1000 and I carry it inside the camper. It and the Honda have a shutoff for the fuel tank vent and a fuel shut off. Close both of those before you put it in the camper and you'll have no fumes.
I don't use the generator often so it spends most of it's time inside and I've never smelled gasoline.

I just chain it to the bumper of the truck if I have to leave it outside.

I carry my EU20001 inside. No fumes. None. But of course you have to shut off the fuel. I generally use it only when I'm nearby then back in it goes. Or if I'm boondocking and just aren't worried about anyone coming around I'll leave it out.

I would suggest KISS

http://www.jcwhitney.com/HITCH_HAUL_CARRIERS?ID=12;0;1101002315;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2004437;0;0

I have a version of this. only downside is if you want to take on more difficult terrain you got that big mess hanging off the back. I wonder if a custom fabbed holder attached to the back bumper would work. In part it might depend on the size of the truck, might be OK on my F250.

I have a version of this. only downside is if you want to take on more difficult terrain you got that big mess hanging off the back. I wonder if a custom fabbed holder attached to the back bumper would work. In part it might depend on the size of the truck, might be OK on my F250.

Well then how about this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99591

2000 posts and not an XXL in sight!

Do you already have the truck this is going on? I'm guessing you do but on the off chance you don't you could get a truck with an 8'box. Then either mount the camper forward and build an enclosure at the back of the camper for the generator which would be supported by the truck or mount the camper back somewhat to allow the generator and some other stuff to be stored in front of the camper between the truck and camper.

Or perhaps get creative and mount the generator under the body of the truck, depending on your rig and the size of the generator that might be feasible.

That might be helpful, just have to crawl into the camper from the front :D

I'm pretty sure if you reverse the order in which it's installed its removable. Life - go figure just one compromise after another.

I use a Honda 1000 when not using the air conditioner, and a Honda 2000 when using AC.

1. How do you transport your generator? Do you carry it inside your truck or camper, or do you carry it outside?
I carry them inside. No gasoline smell whatsoever. I have a Hawk with dinette, and they fit right between the two boxes.

2. If the generator is inside, do you have any issues with gasoline odor or spillage? No gasoline smell whatsoever.

No.

5. Is your generator protected by a box, or do you use it "naked"? How do you keep it from being stolen?
No box, but I have high quality covers for them I purchased off ebay. I lock it up when not in use. The Honda 1000 is very light weight.

6. Where do you place the generator when you are using it? If our generator were attached to the back of our camper, would the fumes be likely to be sucked into the camper?
On the ground, behind the truck

7. We would anticipate mostly using the generator when we are parked in locations that do not allow pets. Is it generally okay to run the generator in a parking lot of stores, parks, etc.? We'd love to hear how other pet owners use their AC and generators when on the road.
I never camp with another person in sight....so usage hours are up to me.

Thanks for your input!

I have a front mounted hitch that keeps the basket up pretty high. This is another option.

I also carry a honda generator at times, inside the camper , havn't had any problems with smell or gasoline yet, I just shut off the fuel and let it run till it dies, and when cooled down store it at back of camper when traveling.

I have a front mounted hitch that keeps the basket up pretty high. This is another option.

That's true, I have one as well and it does allow access into the back door. Another plus is you can keep an eye on your load and sometimes you fit better in parking lots as the load is over the curb and not hanging back in a travel lane.

2000 posts and not an XXL in sight!

Well spend 15 minutes doing the beta program and it will be in the mail :) You ARE retired after all right?

You might check out Bodiak. Their front mounted hitches mount to your tow bars in just minutes. Then a person could mount a carrier to that. I don't have one but will as soon as they design one for the new F150. :D

I'm looking at putting a receive on the front of my truck and just use my cargo carrier that's rated at 600#. I have a Honda 3000 to run my air and microwave. Currently I carry it at the back receiver, but I can't when pulling the waverunners.

Back
Top Bottom