How Does Your Significant Other Like The Camper?

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member
Pretty self explanatory question. I'm an avid offroader as well as back roads explorer. I'm getting married next may and she likes to travel too. I've been looking at truck campers and the FWCs seem to fit with what I want in a camper and my current trucks capapbilities. My only real concern is, will she like it? Is it comfortable? Not too crowded? Is it hard to get into the upper bed?

Kevo

Imagine ...

Its a cold & rainy night Friday.

You are heading out to a nice campground for a weekend outing.

The weather is supposed to break in the AM to make for a sunny and warm weekend.

Pull up to your campsite with your truck camper. Park.

Pitch a tent next to the truck.

Hop in the camper before you get too wet from the rain, turn the furnace on, and start a nice DVD movie on your lap top.

Then have her choose what she will like better for the night.

Tent or Camper ???

:)

I know our campers are not for everyone. Just making light of the conversation.

Personally my wife loved our Grandby Camper. She likes our Six-Pac too.

Hopefully other will chime in with their personal experiences.

:thumb:

Megan digs it but I have friends who aren't allowed to get a FWC because it doesnt have an indoor shower. So ultimately the answer is - depends on the girl.

I should also mention that I screen potential girlfriends for camper-worthiness - making my job easier in the long run :)

Let me start off by saying"Happy wife, happy life". When it came time to buy an RV I discussed all the different types with my wife. Together we made the decision on which one to purchase. Now she can't complain. We started off tent camping so this is a step up. While not having a indoor shower can be seen as a disadvantage it does force us to get a motel room after a few days. A chance to do laundry and take a nice hot shower. So depending on your point of veiw the lack of amenities can be a plus. So far she loves the camper. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

Imagine ...

Its a cold & rainy night Friday.

You are heading out to a nice campground for a weekend outing.

The weather is supposed to break in the AM to make for a sunny and warm weekend.

Pull up to your campsite with your truck camper. Park.

Pitch a tent next to the truck.

Hop in the camper before you get too wet from the rain, turn the furnace on, and start a nice DVD movie on your lap top.

Then have her choose what she will like better for the night.

Tent or Camper ???

:)

I know our campers are not for everyone. Just making light of the conversation.

Personally my wife loved our Grandby Camper. She likes our Six-Pac too.

Hopefully other will chime in with their personal experiences.

:thumb:

A camper which you can stand up in is MUCH more comfortable than a tent, and a FWC sets up a lot faster than any tent I have owned. If she can camp in a tent, she'll think well of you for getting the camper. The FWC design is no Class A motor home with all the amenities, but it's a whole lot better than a simple shell and/or tent. It's perfect for my truck camping.

It's easy for me to get into the upper bunk, and I have found 12 year old children up there when I let them play in the camper, but if it's difficult for her to get into the upper bunk you can make some kind of step/storage bin to assist her.

Camped in a tent for years (we) I got tired of how long it took to set up then pack up bags,air mats,tent coolers stove chairs etc.etc....then we got the camper and truck... I should have bought the camper twenty years ago. the wife and kids love it.......you will love it.

Let me start off by saying"Happy wife, happy life". When it came time to buy an RV I discussed all the different types with my wife. Together we made the decision on which one to purchase. Now she can't complain. We started off tent camping so this is a step up. While not having a indoor shower can be seen as a disadvantage it does force us to get a motel room after a few days. A chance to do laundry and take a nice hot shower. So depending on your point of veiw the lack of amenities can be a plus. So far she loves the camper. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

This is pretty much our operation as well... The wife loves it! MUCH better than tent camping or the rooftop tent.

Kyle

My better half thinks our Bobcat is great. She is impressed with how easy it is to set up, how comfortable it is to sleep in, how much stuff you can store there, and how nicely the furnace heats it up when the nights get cold. We camped near Silverton in a tent in June years ago and swore off tent camping when I woke up with ice in my mustache after a balmy Silverton night (way below freezing).

I am fine with camping in a tent at 11,000 feet on Mt. Rainier for 3 days waiting out a blizzard, but my girlfriend is not so fond of tents. Enter the pop-up camper. So far, so good, she likes it a lot.

Pretty self explanatory question. I'm an avid offroader as well as back roads explorer. I'm getting married next may and she likes to travel too. I've been looking at truck campers and the FWCs seem to fit with what I want in a camper and my current trucks capapbilities. My only real concern is, will she like it? Is it comfortable? Not too crowded? Is it hard to get into the upper bed?

Kevo

Kevo,

It can be crowded inside, even with just 2. Or it can be cozy. Sometimes getting in the upper is a bit of a strain, but you can get a ladder... I'm gonna suggest you check one out in person with your bride. Get her buy in.

Depends on the model of camper and the attitude of the significant other.

My latest camper has a really small bathroom (so small that even the US Border Patrol commented that it was a really small bathroom)

My girlfriend is reluctant to use the bathroom in the camper unless she absolutely has to. (probably because she got stuck in there the first time she tried to use it)

But she loves to camp out in the camper. Especially when it rains.

Unfortunately it's too small for two people to be in it comfortably at times, btu a larger unit is on the horizon, which should solve a few of the problems that my current camper has in it's current layout.

Some folks love truck campers, some wouldn't stay in one if it was the last place on earth.
I sleep better in my camper than I do at home any day.

I'm new to this forum and so new to pop up camping that we haven't yet used our new (used) Phoenix (first trip in two weeks), but here's the deal: my wife drove the decision to buy the pop up. She was tired of sleeping on the ground... even with our pretty comfy Thermarest/Ridgerest sleeping pad configuration. I'm looking forward to easy setup and breakdown. Our car camps involved the tent and a tarp structure to protect us from the wind/rain/snow. Pretty involved process. Now we'll pull in, level out, pop up and relax. Sounds pretty damned good to me!

Yeah, I agree that it depends on the girl. If she wants an oven, microwave, inside toilet and shower you are gonna be in trouble if you buy an FWC/ATC. However, my wife loves our camper. She hated the two year search for the right used one and my as she calls it "obsession" with these campers and fixing it up but she loves going out in it. She is a high school principal so breaking the I'm exhausted barrier to leave for a camping trip on Friday used to be hard to do, but now with the camper it's a snap and the number of trips we are getting out to do has trippled. As for room inside, we camp with the two of us and the dog but have had 4 of us and the dog in there for cocktails and snacks and it's great, I have been really impressed with the interior space and standing up can't be beat. Last weekend we rolled into the Devil's postpile campground at 11:50 Pm, the camper was set up by 11:52 and we were in bed by 12:00 it is really convenient.

I will say that if you are worried about space and you own a small truck and are considering an Eagle I would definitely get yourself inside one. I am lucky enough to live close to the showroom in Woodland so I took my wife in there and together we decided that the eagle was too small for us. We bought an old Fleet which other than the width of the floor pack is similar in size to a Grandby and we love the room inside.

I have spent well over a decade living out of the back of my truck, backpack and raft. The FWC is a huge step up in comfort!

Thanks for the replys guys(and gals)! I guess I just worry because I look at the back of my truck and think "that just doesn't seem like a whole lot of room.". Its a 99 chevy 2500 silverado, 4x4, shortbed, x-cab. I like that these campers are lighter and don't overhang the sides much, but to do that you give up room on the inside. I realize that a lot of this depends on the woman and she seems cool with it now, however I just don't want to spend the money to use it twice and be looking for something bigger. Her parents use to use a pop up tent trailer for camping and she commented that it was "creepy", later they got a 20ft or so camper and that was better. I asked if she would prefer a truck camper over a tent trailer and she was A OK with the truck camper idea. However, I know she hasn't considered the climb into the camper yet, espicially doing it at night. Luckily we have plenty of time it'll probably another 2 yrs before we go on another long roadtrip so we have the time to look at them. I'm just curious of other peoples impressions.

Do most of you cook inside and eat outside? I'm assuming most of your time while camping is actually spent outside and most of the inside time is dedicated to changing and sleeping?

Thanks,
Kevo

Most of us cook outside whenever possible. Changing inside? As in clothes? I guess you could do that. Isn't smelling like a grizzly part of the experience :p

Back
Top Bottom