How hard is it to replace the "Bed Board"?

Pantone 453

There is an Eagle nearby that has a bedboard with a crack in it. Needs replacing. I could purchase for a good price.

It looks like a lot of screw removal, take out bedboard, apply sealant (3m 4200?) and then re-install. It does not look like it would be too complicated.

Thoughts?

What should be used as a new bedboard?

BBZ said:
I have done it on 2 campers I rebuilt.. super easy.. I just used 3/4 inch plywood
Thank you.

So there is no need to remove the screws for the canvas/fabric?
Just remove the screws from the bedboard itself?
And slide the new bedboard in from below as I think it won't fit through the door?

Pantone 453 said:
Thank you.

And slide the new bedboard in from below as I think it won't fit through the door?
no need to deal with the fabric.. just the millions of screws..

Pantone 453 said:
Thank you.

I believe the bedboard comes in from above and lies on top of the bottom edge of the large aluminum C channel that it is screwed to. Do I have this wrong?

What ski3pin said was what I found when I replaced mine. Made mine as 2 pieces with a 4" overlap dado joint in the middle. This allowed me to install it from inside and not remove the interior paneling. Prefinished it before installing, used 3/4' marine grade ply and sealed with 2 coats of marine epoxy before the primer and paint. Holding up well after 2 years. You can do it, no special tools needed.

Thank you all.

I will take out the bedboard. Push up and take it out from below.
Then push up new bedboard from below and then lay it on top of the C channel.
A one piece bedboard will not fit through the door.

Millions of screws!

I would consider taking a jigsaw and cutting around the perimeter and letting the main portion fall to the ground, then remove the screws and such and only have to lift out a much lighter in weight piece.

ski3pin said:
I would consider taking a jigsaw and cutting around the perimeter and letting the main portion fall to the ground, then remove the screws and such and only have to lift out a much lighter in weight piece.
Great idea.
Thank you

I suggest you take a few minutes to use the search feature in this website. There's quite a few posts of people who have done this before. Some posts have pics. Narrow you search to only this fwc forum. I was looking for one particular post but didn't find it (probably from around 2017-8). However I came across this one from user mdfcleveland which gets you the general idea. https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/20369-1975-fwc-my-new-project-and-first-camper/

There's many other posts on the bed board topic but sometimes posters use different words to describe the same part. I tried searching for bed board but it gives me posted with either word. There's probably a way to search for both words together. I do remember that most posters had to spread the C-channel frame slightly to allow enough room to drop the new bed board been the correct ridges in the channel. It's completely doable, just be prepared with the proper tools and effort.

fyi, you can also search posts by a particular user if your find something on your first search but want to dig deeper on that person's other posts.

Back
Top Bottom